The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

P-51 Bardahl Special 2022 version next up

From those photos it doesn't look like they made any significant changes to the cockpit other than radios. From the 2022 photos I have it appears to me the only notable changes from the original are faired over gun ports added and a Hamilton Standard prop. Compare these photos. There likely ARE some changes in the cockpit in addition to the radios on the dash but it doesn't look like they re-installed the fuselage fuel tank and armor plate/head rest. So, I feel like the way I'm building it is pretty much accurate except for a couple of minor cockpit details.

308372657_1228129224699949_205802515673014379_n.jpg

Bardahl Special 23.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Well it’s all over the web and warbird new. The restored aircraft was repainted to honor the Bardahl Special to compete in the 2022 races

Obviously I didn't see that. Thanks for the link.

• Like 3

• Administrators
6 hours ago, JohnB said:

Obviously I didn't see that. Thanks for the link.

Hey, no biggie, and it looks good the way it is!!!

Its certainly one of the most famous of all race schemes.  I’d LOVE to see some Cobras get dolled up in old schemes and go racing.  Even a Spitfire would be cool, even if it wasn’t competitive compared to the highly refined airframes needed to compete today. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I’d expect that yes, the fuselage fuel tank was removed.  Or at least inop.  That think killed many young guns back in the day, mostly from stall/spin accidents, but it was absolutely needed to extend the range enough to get to Berlin and allow at least some loiter time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Looking so good and mighty smooth. Looking forward to seeing Miss Bardahl in her marks .. has the decals been shipped yet?  

Last word I had was they are being printed and should ship next week.  It's Bardahl Special.:)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

The gloss white looks mighty good and I would think it close to impossible for you to 'screw up ' adding the screws. But if it was me doing it, there is a good chance, I could have gone down the wrong path. 🙃

Gloss white always looks good to me Peter. :) Adding the "screws" wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. A bit tedious but not all that difficult.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CANicoll said:

John, how did you do the screws?  Drill them out a bit, or use a sharp toothpick?  Looks terrific against that gloss white paint.  Gloss white!  Wow...

Chris

Thank you Chris. I lightly drilled them and then used a lead pencil to pick each one out. Seems to have worked okay. :)

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Beautiful finish as ever John going to be another stunner. At the end of the year you ought to show all of your 2022 builds.

Thanks Phil. I just might do that! :)

• Like 3

Everything done and just waiting for the decals to show up.

If you will click on the 1st image it will show the best resolution and you can view the photos as a slide show. :)   This holds true with all posts by the way.

10-16-22 001.jpg

10-16-22 002.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KevinM said:

John I was kinda iffy on the color scheme being all white but that is really pleasant to the eye!Looking forward to the decals getting laid down.:notworthy:

Thanks Kevin. Painting white can sure be a chore but, in my humble opinion, sure makes a good looking scheme. :) I feel this will go well with my earlier build of the same a/c.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Is it done yet?  No?   OK.  Nice white paint, John.  The screw heads came out well.

Thanks Gaz. It's nearly done. I'm just waiting for the decals to show up. I like the white finish too and I think the screws came out okay. I was afraid they'd be a bit "too much" but I think they look okay. :)

• Like 2