The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

P-51 Bardahl Special 2022 version next up

This P-51 has to be my favorite air racer. Since it is now back in the racing program they have made a few changes. It is now race number 3 instead of 8. The prop was changed to a square tipped Hamilton Standard. I'll be using the Revell late version P-51D kit for this plus a set of new Draw Decals for the "new" markings. I think it will go well with my previous build of the racer. :)

308367036_1228129461366592_7488465051317206393_n.jpg

308372657_1228129224699949_205802515673014379_n.jpg

308457004_1228129298033275_5820270232101934236_n.jpg

• Like 9

My plan for the screw heads is to use a fine drill and just barely drill them out. Careful not to go all the way through! After applying the white it should be easier to spot paint them or maybe use a very thin wash. We will see. :)

10-7-22 001.jpg

• Like 6

Gotta love Mustang racers. I’m 200 % with you on this one, John. I was lucky enough to fetch Fisher’s Red Baron, and an even rarer resin « Voodoo » (in the purple livery with the checkerboard trim). And I got the ZM Mk IV for converting it to a racer. Whilst not as « good » as the Tamiya one, it has the benefit of 3 different canopies, and 2 props (well, at least I think I recall this correctly)

Hubert

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Gotta love Mustang racers. I’m 200 % with you on this one, John. I was lucky enough to fetch Fisher’s Red Baron, and an even rarer resin « Voodoo » (in the purple livery with the checkerboard trim). And I got the ZM Mk IV for converting it to a racer. Whilst not as « good » as the Tamiya one, it has the benefit of 3 different canopies, and 2 props (well, at least I think I recall this correctly)

Hubert

Racers are great modeling fodder! LOL The Tamiya P-51 is tops except for the itty bitty rivets showing on the wings. They shouldn't be visible since '51's had puttied over wings. Still, they are first class. The new Revell late model '51 that I'm working on now has smooth wings which is a big plus. And it comes with 3 canopies! :)

• Like 1

What a cool looking P-51!

One alternative approach to the bolts that is sometimes used on the wooden ship modeling side is to drill all the way through, and then insert rod into them.  Or, you can find appropriate sized pins, glue them, and then cut the heads off.  You can get insect pins for pretty cheap which come in plenty of sizes.  Not sure what is the easiest, but looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice changeup from a Corsair.

It'll be a nice compliment to the one you already did. 

I'm looking at those screw heads and shuddering at the thought of doing them all by hand....

A pretty tedious job for sure Carl! I was nearly cross-eyed by the time I finished! I'm hoping I won't have to go over them with a wash after painting the white but maybe, just maybe, they will show adequately without it. We will see! :)

• Like 3

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

What a cool looking P-51!

One alternative approach to the bolts that is sometimes used on the wooden ship modeling side is to drill all the way through, and then insert rod into them.  Or, you can find appropriate sized pins, glue them, and then cut the heads off.  You can get insect pins for pretty cheap which come in plenty of sizes.  Not sure what is the easiest, but looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thanks Mike. All that sounds even more tedious than what I'm doing now. I would hate to have to stick a little bitty rod through each one although that might work fine. Just sounds like too much work for me but I appreciate the input.  LOL Like I always say, we will see! :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

HI John

Nice start on Miss Bardahl. Going to be a beauty - just love the P-51 racers.

Will be long for the ride.

Thank you Peter. Fingers crossed it will turn out as I expect! :)

• Like 3

Seems I drilled out those screw holes a tad too much. I'll try to fix that with some Vallejo plastic putty. We will see! :)

Plastic putty and Alclad white primer applied. Much better I think.

10-8-22 001.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Irishman1 said:

Love the warbird unlimited racers!! Can’t wait to see

Some mighty good looking racers! This build should go well with my earlier one of the same racer. Not a lot of differences but still enough for me to want to build it again! :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

terrific work on the front office. I've been wanting to try the Fine Mols Seatbelts and might just use them for the P-40. Can you point me in the right direction to order a few sets?

Thank Peter. Email on the way.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Hey John.

GREAT BUILD so far!    I just found this out literally 10 minutes ago, so I immediately came here to tell you.   This airframe was given a full restoration back to original factory specs 10 years or so ago.  So the cockpit should be in wartime specs, as in green, etc.  The exterior was painted as the Bardahl Special for the 2022 races, but everything else remained as it was.

I know you’re pouring your heart into this one, and trust me, if I’d have known earlier, I’d have said something earlier. This IS a scheme I’d like to build down the road, SO, OF you want to redo the interior as it should be, I’ll swap you an unbuilt cockpit for your racer cockpit.   It’ll set your build back a few days, but at least it’ll be right for the 2022 version. 

Ernie

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Hey John.

GREAT BUILD so far!    I just found this out literally 10 minutes ago, so I immediately came here to tell you.   This airframe was given a lovingly complete full restoration back to original factory wartime specs 10 years or so ago.  So the cockpit should be in wartime specs, as in green, etc.  It was painted on its old exterior scheme to honor the Reno Races.

I know you’re pouring your heart into this one, and trust me, if I’d have known earlier, I’d have said something earlier. This IS a scheme I’d like to build down the road, SO, OF you want to redo the interior as it should be, I’ll swap you an unbuilt cockpit for your racer cockpit.   It’ll set your build back a few days, but at least it’ll be right for the 2022 version. 

Ernie

Thanks Ernie. I wish I'd known before I got so far with it. Where did you find your info? I'd like to take a look at it. I have another kit which is a "parts" kit and the cockpit parts are all there (I think!) so I probably wouldn't need the parts you have. I'll go check it out and if I do need 'em I'll let you know. Thanks for the heads up! :)

• Like 1