The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell P-51D late version #2

Okay. Now that I've finished my P-51 racer Green 69 ( https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/18803-revell-p-51-racer-69-done/ )

I can now get back to this one. Finally got the problem child wing leading edges sorted out and the wings attached to the fuselage. Next I'll prime the whole model with gloss gray enamel and prepare it for some Alclad. I've decided to do it as Dick Turner's last P-51, "Short Fuse" instead of a factory fresh unmarked bird. I've already made the decals using my computer, etc. so it's good to go. :)

Dick Turner and Short Fuse.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't realize until too late his a/c did not have the shrouded exhausts. Since I already have the fuselage, etc sealed up and set up for shrouded exhausts his a/c is out of the question. Just another PITA. 🙃 SO....I'm putting it aside (again) and will get back to it "later". I think it's time for me to build another Corsair! (My therapy kit! LOL 😄) I'm thinking a birdcage this time. Stay tuned.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Time to build something furrin, John.  All of this flip-floppin between this yankee plane and that yankee plane...   has tuckered me out.

LOL Me too Gaz!!! 😄 Building another Corsair is like putting on a nice old comfortable pair of blue jeans! :) Just the right thing about now. (Trying to stay warm! it's 12 degrees here right now!!)

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JohnB said:

LOL Me too Gaz!!! 😄 Building another Corsair is like putting on a nice old comfortable pair of blue jeans! :) Just the right thing about now. (Trying to stay warm! it's 12 degrees here right now!!)

Which state do you live in?  It's 7am here and I have the air conditioning on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnB said:

North Louisiana. Not a usual thing here!

I've never been there.  The closest I've been was watching the movie Southern Comfort at a drive-in in Michigan during the 1980's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back to this build while awaiting the stuff for the Spitfire. Now I see why I set it aside as there are some "issues" with fit on the wing roots and windscreen. I'll work on it anyway just to have something to do LOL. :)

By the way, I've decided to build it as "Stinger VII" of the 15th FG off Iwo Jima 1945 and NOT either of the ones I had previously intended.

342-FH-3A-42341-68014AC_moore_45th_fs_p_67_stinger_vii_463483.JPG

Scanned Section 2-1.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Hey John,  Changing over to a Pacific theater P-51D will be fun to watch.  I found a couple of pictures of your 'new' bird, showing off the twin antenna.

image.jpeg.0be9d15468ad1dbf52daf426e64c052e.jpegimage.jpeg.4aa6f240ed7f8400dc44f1a00817d211.jpeg

Good luck!

Chris

Thanks Chris. The color profile shows tail antenna but, after checking photos (these among them), I don't think those a/c had them installed. So it will be just the twin rear fuselage antennas.

Stinger VII 3.jpg

Iwo Mustangs.jpg

Iwo Mustangs 2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CANicoll said:

Yep, those were the ones I meant not the radar antenna on the tail.  Sorry for not being clear.  Thay last picture must have quite a story with it!

Sure must! LOL:)

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 11:30 PM, Clunkmeister said:

I look at Martin’s last picture and wonder about the open canopies. Was that to let them air out on the long sea voyage?  I assume these are headed to the South Pacific, since they generally flew European planes there. 
Maybe to keep the ambient temps inside down some?

Weathering, Ernie. It's the salt method.

• Haha 1