The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell P-51D late version #2

11 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Nice!!!!  Your paint is always sooo smoooth....  How did you mask the spinnner?  Always my bugaboo...

Thanks Chris. :) I used Tamiya masking tape and applied it VERY carefully LOL. Since the back plate was a separate piece all I had to mask was the front black/green. Spinner masking has long been a bugaboo for me also. I lucked out this time and got it right the 1st time! :)

• Like 5

As happens some times, you find some info via a photo of the subject of your build, that throws a wrench in the works to some degree or other. Here's a photo of Stinger VII that shows it had rocket stubs under the wings. Naturally the info I had to go on showed no stubs so I didn't attach any. Too late now I find the a/c DID have stubs. I guess I could guesstimate the proper location and go on and attach some and I guess that's what I'll do. Also, I'm not too sure that a/c had a painted spinner or not as in this photo it's not painted. Could be it was painted later so I'm going to leave the spinner painted. ALWAYS SOMETHING!

Update: The underside of the wings have very small locator indentations where the stubs attach. No problem in drilling out the appropriate spots and attaching the stubs. :)

342-FH-3A-47119-68017AC_todd_moore_45th_fs_p_67_stinger_vii_463483_iwo.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Beautiful airbrush work. Were the black boarder stripes decals or paint? Looks like perfect masking.

Thanks. The black stripes are decals Peter. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

I guess I could guesstimate the proper location and go on and attach some and I guess that's what I'll do. Also, I'm not too sure that a/c had a painted spinner or not as in this photo it's not painted.

I would not FU a paint job for that John just assume it's a different day and mission.;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KevinM said:

I would not FU a paint job for that John just assume it's a different day and mission.;)

That was my first thought Kevin! Since I noticed there are locating spots under the wings for the stubs it's no sweat attaching them. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Flawless as ever John, I will finish my ZM 51, just haven’t decided on the scheme. I’ve the kit decals but they do not float my boat…….

I look forward to seeing the finished model! :)

• Like 1

After carefully studying the photo again, I see there is something else not shown in the Kagero book. It's this antenna under the nose just ahead of the wheel wells. It's hard to see as it kind of blends with the background. I knew from previous research and builds the '51's involved in the long range missions to Japan had this antenna as well as the twin antennas on the spine. So now maybe this model will be more accurate! LOL 🤪

342-FH-3A-47119-68017AC_todd_moore_45th_fs_p_67_stinger_vii_463483_iwo.jpg

• Like 1