The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell P-51D late version #2

I have decided to build another Revell P-51D and likely do it as a "plain Jane" with no unit markings. Fresh off the factory floor. As you can see I like to get a lot of the parts painted early on which works well for me. :) I might change my mind about doing it as a "plain Jane" but we will see.

0000042319.jpg

13979142917_96d704edfe_b.jpg

12-16-22 001.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I look at Martin’s last picture and wonder about the open canopies. Was that to let them air out on the long sea voyage?  I assume these are headed to the South Pacific, since they generally flew European planes there. 
Maybe to keep the ambient temps inside down some?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I look at Martin’s last picture and wonder about the open canopies. Was that to let them air out on the long sea voyage?  I assume these are headed to the South Pacific, since they generally flew European planes there. 
Maybe to keep the ambient temps inside down some?

Ernie

Completely agree and wonder why myself as it's a detail I haven't noticed in the past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Going to be another enjoyable and stellar build to follow. Your production of completed kits the past months has even set a new record for you.

As always, I'm front and center. :popcorn: 

As I usually say, keep something "in progress" and the time goes by better. Especially at our age! 🤪

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

You've just started and got more done than most folks do after a month. As always, it's precise too. 

Carl

Got that right Carl. :lol:  I started two 1/48 Phantoms four months ago and I think John has finished at least 4 or 5 while
I have been trying to muddle through the two I got going.

Cheers,
Jerry   :piliot:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Actually a few more John theirs another whole row on the far r/side covered or less silver showing,The pit has that Quinta touch :notworthy:

It took me a while to figure out just what you are referring to but now I think I figured it out. You are referencing the photo of the -51's on the carrier deck. LOL

Nope, no Quinta. Just kit parts, FineMolds seat belts and Barracuda decals.:)

• Like 4

I'm behind this by ONE DAY and John has the cockpit together and the major assemblies all painted.  I thought I had mastered painting pieces on the sprues and before assembly but I'm in amateur status compared to John.  Wow!  I have ONE more Revell P-51D kits in the stash, and it has a mountain of AM for it, including the AMUR flaps I love so much (for the oil canning effect).  Gotta love the Revell cockpit - the detail is amazing, and the Barracuda decals really makes it pop.

The wings on those carrier Mustangs are FILTHY. I wonder what that is all about?  Also looks like there is a placard on the seat on the Mustang at the bottom left of the picture.

I'm not touching my Mustang until John is done.  Oh yeah, that will be Thursday. :respect: I would not even be able to get the parts washed by then if I tried!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, CANicoll said:

I'm behind this by ONE DAY and John has the cockpit together and the major assemblies all painted.  I thought I had mastered painting pieces on the sprues and before assembly but I'm in amateur status compared to John.  Wow!  I have ONE more Revell P-51D kits in the stash, and it has a mountain of AM for it, including the AMUR flaps I love so much (for the oil canning effect).  Gotta love the Revell cockpit - the detail is amazing, and the Barracuda decals really makes it pop.

The wings on those carrier Mustangs are FILTHY. I wonder what that is all about?  Also looks like there is a placard on the seat on the Mustang at the bottom left of the picture.

I'm not touching my Mustang until John is done.  Oh yeah, that will be Thursday. :respect: I would not even be able to get the parts washed by then if I tried!  

Chris

Agreed about the Mustangs on the carrier's deck. They certainly don't look new and just off the line. I wonder what the story is?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

LOL Chris! :) Yes, those Mustangs look the worse for wear and certainly not hot off the builder's floor. I want this build to be a nice, clean, shiny -51. 😀

• Like 2

I'm about to had enough of having to trim, fill and sand. The underside of the nose and the wing leading edges are the worse offenders and have a high cuss factor. The wings being the worse being harder to get to with the racks in place.  I think I'll set this one aside (not the SOD) for a bit and find something else to build. 😐

12-19-22 001.jpg

12-19-22 002.jpg

12-19-22 003.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4