Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Desert Kittyhawk, additional info

JohnB

I'm sure you all know about the Kittyhawk found in the desert after 70 years and the mystery surrounding it. I've just finished reading two books about the desert air war and saw some info I think y'all would find interesting. The first book is "Gremlin on my shoulder" by Ron Cundy. Cundy relates in "Gremlin on my shoulder" a episode where the squadron CO (Hanbury) did a terrible dressing down of Dennis Copping, the pilot of the Kittyhawk. If you get the book, which is factual since Cundy was there, look on page 69.

The second book is "Kittyhawk Down" by Jonathan Nicholas. It is a fact/fiction book about Copping. However, Nicholas relates on pages 352 and 353 the gist of the dressing down Copping had to listen to. I feel sure Nicholas must have visited with Cundy about that episode and has, I hope, related it fairly accurately. It was a shameful thing to say the least and may shed some light on why Copping did what he did. Since there is no way to ask Copping we'll just have to use our own judgement. I found it very interesting.

1473760592-7662-HS-B2.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JohnB said:

id a terrible dressing down of Dennis Copping, the pilot of the Kittyhawk

So that was Copping's Kitty Hawk?

6 hours ago, JohnB said:

It was a shameful thing to say the least and may shed some light on why Copping did what he did

Can you shed some light/history as to what happened or presumed to of have happened?;)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KevinM said:

So that was Copping's Kitty Hawk?

Can you shed some light/history as to what happened or presumed to of have happened?;)

From what I've read in the 2 books it appears Copping flew off into the desert with no intention of returning. The dressing down was just the last straw for him apparently. I recommend you get the books and read up on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Gremlin on my shoulder" is a true story written by someone who was there (Ron Cundy). "Kittyhawk Down" is a "novel" based on facts. Some of what is included there IS true "as it happened" and compares well with some of the things Cundy wrote in his book.  It is written in a way that it was Copping writing it. Of course that is impossible but Nicholas used "real" info for it. I would think he interviewed people like Cundy who provided him with "good info" etc. So, in my own humble opinion, I think it DOES shed a lot of light on just what was going on with Copping.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity.  Not about the P-40 or the story behind it.  But how in the H - E - Double hockey sticks do you find time to read and build all the models you build?  🤪

LOL! Work on models during the day and read when hitting the sack. I guess I spend about 5-6 hours per day on building. Enough to keep this old retired model builder and amateur historian occupied. Easy peasy!! 😄

• Like 2

• Administrators

I’ve never heard about that P-40, but what a find. Question:  was the pilot with the aircraft?  Was he ever found?  I’m sure he’s not the only guy still out there. US, British, German, I’m sure the desert will give up more secrets in the future

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I’ve never heard about that P-40, but what a find. Question:  was the pilot with the aircraft?  Was he ever found?  I’m sure he’s not the only guy still out there. US, British, German, I’m sure the desert will give up more secrets in the future

I don't see how you missed it Ernie! It was on the internet a lot. The pilot, Copping, has not been found although there have been searches, etc. I'm sure it would be nothing but bones but it would be a good thing to find him and give him a proper burial.

https://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/desert-war-kittyhawk-unveiled-in-egypt.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

OK, I remember. That’s the one where they totally butchered the restoration?

Yes that's the one, the RAF Museum gave a firm a Spitfire to pay for the recovery, which was successful, however the Egyptian authorities claimed the aircraft. It has since been given a dodgy restoration.

The remains of the pilot have not been found.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Yes that's the one, the RAF Museum gave a firm a Spitfire to pay for the recovery, which was successful, however the Egyptian authorities claimed the aircraft. It has since been given a dodgy restoration.

The remains of the pilot have not been found.

Cheers

Dennis

When you get older, the SECOND thing that goes is the memory 🤣

If I recall, the Egyptians sound bones not far from the crash site but little to no effort was made to identify the body?

It makes you wonder how many more wrecks are out there. Both Allied and Axis.  

• Like 2