The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Between builds build F4U-4

As I said, this is a between builds build. :) Something to work on while awaiting my next project which I plan to be the Hobby Craft P-51 as soon as I can snag a Vector cockpit at a reasonable price (ebay prices are over $100 and very high shipping. No way Jose"!). I got one from Canada but it was still pricey.  At any rate, I'll work on this Trumpeter F4U-4 (even with the crappy cockpit since I couldn't find a Grand Phoenix cockpit set at a good price) which I plan to do as one seen put out to pasture some years ago. Happily it has been restored to flying condition, etc.  Anyway, as y'all know, I like to keep busy with something so for now this will do. I'll set it aside in a bit and come back to it as time permits. 😀

2-6-23 001.jpg

2-6-23 A 001.jpg

76705138_798575257265378_104051844807917568_o.jpg

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Your bench is always in action - nice choice of subject for your fill in build. I we could vote, mine would be for a -4 in good, flyable condition. This poor old gal surely has seen better days.

When that photo was taken it was in a sad state. Since then it was restored and is flying today.

corsair-972863-3.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice to see you're going with the restored F4U.

Peter. You misunderstand. I'm not going with the restored version but the "put out to pasture one". I posted the restored photo after you said it had seen better days to show you it is again seeing good days.  🙄

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Got ya .. just hate to see an airplane put out to pasture and deteriorate until it's off to the wrecker.

Still. going to be a pretty cool project i something very different.

You do realize this is the same airplane. Before restoration and after. :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Yes, I know the Corsair was completely restored to flying condition. I wasn't referring to the Corsair but to the fate of so many old airplanes that have met the wrecker, just said it very poorly. 

LOL 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice work adapting Tamiya folding wing mechanism to the Trumpeter Corsair. Any pics how you did it?

Thanks Peter. I thought the photo was pretty well self explanatory. All I had to do is open the existing hole in the wing spar slot a little to allow the Tamiya part to fit adequately. A little trimming on the base of the fold mechanism was needed to get a satisfactory fit that would be strong enough to hold the outer wing. Then I could add the other pieces. Clear as mud???

2-10-23 B 001.jpg

• Like 6