Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/32 Revell Tomcat from “The Final Countdown” movie

19 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Scott, looking very nice indeed. I’m concerned with my build for the GB that I’m going to be rushed to complete. I think you’re perfectly on target…….

I’m not doing this in the group build.  Already put two in there and I just didn’t want to be rushed this time of the year.  Spring time is my busy time of the year around the home trying to get yearly maintenance issues done before the “Welcome to Hell” heat and humidity kicks in. 
Thankfully I’ve been very productive and only have 2 projects to go before I’m done with my list.  Gotta change the power steering pump and lines on my old truck and soft wash the exterior of the house.  Hopefully, all done next week, weather permitting. 
But nothing like sitting at my bench in 70 degree temps looking out across the lake knowing it miserable outside.  🤪. Eventually I’ll wind up floating in the lake consuming beers on my wife’s days off.  

• Like 4

Ok, I think I’ve just experienced a Bob Ross “Happy little accident”.  I was doing some touch ups on the top finish and then laid down a wet coat of leveling thinner to blend new pain with existing.  I then thinned my clear and started laying down some wet coats. Thinned it a little more and went back over it once again for a second clear prior to decals and weathering.  
Suddenly I noticed my panel lines were getting darker. Apparently I put in enough thinner for the paint down in the panel lines to float up and out of them.  Looks like I won’t have to apply a wash to the panel lines!  

IMG_0414.thumb.jpeg.2a912e4168ec69213387f0836e0b8d88.jpeg

Update:
Well, looks like I do have some touch ups to do. Got some puddling of color that just looks wrong. A little more airbrush work is in order. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and I forgot to follow up with the Revell/Tamiya landing gear I cobbled together.  She stands on her own legs now!  
Wait, a Tomcat is a male cat. So should I refer to its gender identity as a she?  
Oh man, my pronouns are a mess here. 🤪

IMG_0450.thumb.jpeg.2afac782f7294c122534585aae5f3195.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice progress Scott and interesting happy accident there with the panel lines. If you could even call it an accident. 

Not sure on the gender thingy but I've got two of them on the bench and they may have gotten busy while I was away from the bench. Take a look at what's behind the nose section...

PXL_20230701_202917712.thumb.jpg.7dc58b000a5831dffad6d8aef362836d.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone want a good laugh at my expense?  
You ain’t gonna believe this shit….

And I cannot believe no one pointed it out during my build.  

My wings are upside down and on the wrong side.  
🤪

Don’t have any idea how to fix this mess now. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

🤪

Wait, what???

I hadn't noticed. I'm going to have to look closer. 

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

🤪

I had not noticed it either. Now that you mention it, it’s obvious. And it’s going to be a bear to correct, agreed :(

Hubert

4 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

🤪

Nightmare Scott. If it's any consolation I did the same thing on my 1/48 build for the group build but at least with that one you just slide the wings on over the guide so it was easy to get them off and fix it. As Hubert says that'll be a bit harder on this one.

I just removed both wings. Not the satisfaction of taking a sledge hammer to it, but slid my exacto blade along the LE forward of the folding wings, pried it up and popped them out. Sure, a little damage to touch up.  But doable easy enough.  I’ll repaint the wings first though. 

• Like 4

Well, found the confusing part.  I don’t feel too bad now.  Each wing is labeled “Bottom Right” and “Bottom Left”. Problem is, it’s not the bottom, but rather the top.  Right and left are correct. 
IMG_0463.thumb.jpeg.19b4ceab10cd3376a04bc4bc8c496186.jpeg

So I’ve just wet sanded them down and getting ready to re-spray before installing them. 
Oh, and add insult to injury?  The wife set up the grandkids inflatable pool in the back yard.  Had a hole in it. It deflated and she left it there two days.  
Looks like I get to have fun with sod next week. 😡

IMG_0462.thumb.jpeg.6507279acd4dad5f5919f27255b63e0b.jpeg

Everyone is like oh well, it will grow back.  Obviously they are idiots about a yard.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Talk about intentionally trying to screw things up for the builder. 

Makes me wonder if I made the same mistake when I built my Revell Tomcat all those years ago. 

As for the lawn, that's one reason we don't have grass. Just lots of dirt, I mean ground cover. At least it was ground cover before Jimmy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A friend just came over earlier.  I got to vent with him over the lawn.  My 84 yo FIL comes to visit and he brings a huge dog he has no business owning at his age. Huge dogs leave huge piles and he’s never cleaned up behind a dog in his life.  It’s kind of satisfying watching my wife run around the yard with bags in hand picking up behind him.  
I hate to admit it, but as I get older, I’m better understanding the old guy in the neighborhood when I was a kid that was yelling at anyone that dared step foot on his grass.  
I have an M1 Garand and a classic Ford in the garage.  I’m about to go Walt Kowalski around here.  

• Haha 4

Making some progress here finally.  Repaint on the wings might be done this evening.  I did the tops first using the black base method.  On the bottom, white primer and then some gray tones to bring out the marbling effect and panel lines.  
I think I’ve watched the dog fight scene in Carl’s thread 20 times already trying to pick up on weathering and colors.  I did notice that the bottoms of the ailerons were left white during the transition while the rest of the bottom was FS17875 white. 
Just gotta let the white dry so I can tape it up now. 
IMG_0466.thumb.jpeg.5aa8040f56752caf03f96d62ad6df55a.jpeg

• Like 5

Back together again!  Amazing how much better it looks with correct wing droop and not rise.  
IMG_0474.thumb.jpeg.8c001fc44c41fdd1ea978cffeb4cfca2.jpeg

just a few inches of seams to fill and correct. 

IMG_0473.thumb.jpeg.c4f13287e50f9b87582d1fd5c43f07eb.jpeg

I did discover a major color shade difference from the original paint work.  Especially the bottom FS white.  I didn’t put enough down the first time and I’m going to have to go back and lay down a bit more to get it right.  

• Like 6