The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

ZM A-1H Skyraider

On 4/27/2023 at 9:25 AM, Peterpools said:

CLOSING UP THE FUSELAGE

Construction wise, the Skyraider is going together quite well without any real issues at all. All the internal parts have now been glued into place for strengthening the fuselage (she is a Big Gal). The tailwheel and arrester hook assembly has been completed, painted and installed. A good deal of the details are above the wheel well assembly, were not painted and will never be seen passed this stage. The interior of the tail wheel assembly was painted with MRP Gloss White and the details highlighted with Tamiya Dark Brown Panel Line Wash.

The arresting hook itself was cut off the assembly, painted separately so that the black stripes can be painted later on and then added at the end of the build. To add extra strength when adding the arrestor hook, I drilled out both gluing faces and added a brass rod for extra strength.

Of course, while removing the rudder from the fret, I managed to break off both the anti-static discharge lines. Two holes were drilled out in the rudder, so that the anti-static lines can be added from stretch sprue at the end of the build. Adding them any sooner and it would only be a matter of minutes before I broke them off again.

sm0F2c.jpg

kSi2wV.jpg

Looking good Peter. Those little static dischargers are very easy to break off. I know I did on my build! LOL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

and to think, working on two ZM kits nearly at the same time. 

See...   you can do it.  I'm trying to clear some out.  Working on a ship model really eats up the time thought with slight progress.

• Like 2

Thanks Gaz

Yup, it actually did turn out that I can work on two kits at the same time ... who would have ever guessed?

Just looking at all the research and then the actual time to build a ship kit, just seems way more then I'm ready to commit to. 

• Like 2

WING ASSEMBLY

TO FOLD OR NOT TO FOLD

With the fuselage mostly completed and ready for some filler and sanding, it was time to build the wings. Way over engineered with details that will never be seen and a finicky wing fold mechanism. In fact, the instructions actually call for painting the complete interior of the outer wing sections and the complete interior center section as well. What a waste of time as most of the interior real estate will never be seen. All I painted were the areas that will be seen and skipped the rest.

Part fit is good, just carefully follow the instructions and the assembly sequence and test fit as you go. Carl posted a link to the ZM’s correction page for the folding wings, downloaded and used.

Biggest decision – still needs to be made:

Wings extended, wings folded or wings being operable for folding or extending. 

I’m hoping to fold the wings and see how it goes. Some of the painting callouts did not match my research and I’m going with my research.   

Painted areas:

MRP New Gray Primer – just a good as the discontinued MRP primer but somewhat darker in shade.

Tamiya Lacquer Gloss White – smooth as silk as always.

Mig Ammo Interior Green

Tamiya Dark Gray Panel Line Wash was used to highlight the main gear wheel wells.

8JzTSX.jpg

sfsJfK.jpg

4UfBLo.jpg

CVgLNI.jpg

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Hi Carl

Your folding wing seam looks perfect and I'm going to try and have it functional as well. If I'm lucky, I'll get close to yours..

Fingers crossed Peter! :)

• Like 4

Nice progress Peter and if the gaps are not wider than with Carl's build, operational wings would be a great option. I have to admit, I was not overly impressed by the cockpit, which somehow looked a bit flat to my eye, but that is maybe how the real thing looked. The foot pedals seem to be too far away from the pilot seat to look right, but given the small canopy bubble, that all will disappear in that huge fuselage.
In 2014, I took some snaps on deck of USS Midway in San Diego, which may be interesting for your build. You can see, it was necessary to use a super wide angled lens, as there was not much space on deck and some restricted areas.

Cheers Rob

P1080172.thumb.JPG.8175e8c08278821922d8359b5efa45e5.JPG

P1080173.thumb.JPG.301cd7e2adb1199b4c3348354b2acd71.JPG

P1080174.thumb.JPG.c2ef008b3ceee9c383756507d58793e0.JPG

P1080175.thumb.JPG.5d185cba9697e710bc1b9240cd12bcac.JPG

P1080176.thumb.JPG.d64e54c7fd075168c06b85da7d4d2097.JPG

P1080177.thumb.JPG.8891e5dcd0417df5a169f65e4d3eca95.JPG

P1080178.thumb.JPG.dc596ba0de07fa42c50b48aec2230b45.JPG

P1080179.thumb.JPG.9cb5377b64984e8ee15e51f32bbb7490.JPG

• Like 9

Love Skyraiders, they manage to be Fugly and beautiful at the same time . Look really nice completely Vietnamesque beaten up and wings drooping with ordnance. A real bomb truck .

Did the Airfix one back in the 80's , might have to have a crack at another in a bigger scale at some point . I like the working wing idea Peter , hopefully it will work for you . 

• Like 3

The usual applause apply to your usual amount of clean, detailed work, Peter.  I'm sure it will look great no matter which option you choose.

I've never been a fan of folded wings...  I just feel all of the interest leave me when I see one with the wings folded.  All of those interesting things I like on a plane care covered by huge slabs.   Anyway...   your choice.

• Like 2

Rob

Thank you for the detailed photographs, as they will come in very handy as I start to assemble all the major assemblies and work on the exterior.

I'm hoping to get the wings to actually fold and if I get close to Carl's fit, I'll be very pleased. Working parts just have a way of not working as intended. 

I'm not sure what you mean:"... I was not overly impressed by the cockpit, which somehow looked a bit flat to my eye ..." I thought the detail level looked great, as it is a full Quinta set and as colorful as cockpits were in the 1970's. As far as the rudder pedal go, that's a known issue and ZM blew it. Not sure if the Trumpeter kits are the same. Yes, while the seat could move forward and I'm not sure if the rudder pedals were also adjustable, as you would have to be a giant to reach them. First two things you always do when settling into the left-hand seat: adjust the seat to reach the rudder pedals, making sure you have full travel to move the rudders to the stops plus the toe brakes and can move all the controls fully, in every direction. Then seatbelts and harnesses. In the case of the model, with the fuselage glued up, even if the rudders were moved forward, they never will be seen. Just nice to know they are there. 

• Like 3

Thanks PW

I'm making progress and hopefully over the weekend, I'll have the wings done and see how close I get to working wings. If I can get mine to look close to Carl's, I'll be a happy camper for sure.

• Like 1

Thanks Gaz

I know exactly what you mean and I don't often fold the wings but for the Skyraider I thought I would give it a try. She is a HUGE Gal and with her wings extended, would eat up a lot of space. I have my Corsair with her wings also folded but any new Corsairs, the wings would be extended. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

I'm not sure what you mean:"... I was not overly impressed by the cockpit, which somehow looked a bit flat to my eye ..." I thought the detail level looked great, as it is a full Quinta set and as colorful as cockpits were in the 1970's.

Peter, I didn't want to offend you and I'm hardly an expert on Skyraider cockpits, but I can't explain it better. Sure, there's lots of detail printed on, but I browsed trough a lot of real cockpit pics and it doesn't look right to my eye. Maybe it's the glossiness, or maybe it's only my vision.
I normally absolutely adore your detailed and colorful rendition of cockpits and this will look good in the fuselage.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2