The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya P-38F Lightning

Chris

Thanks so much for the offer, I wish I only knew a few days earlier, as my Eduard decals are scheduled to arrive USPS between this morning. 🤞

The big test is going to be removing the carrier film24 hours after the decals were applied and see if I can achieve the painted on look. 🤞

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 9:26 AM, Peterpools said:

Chris

Thanks so much for the offer, I wish I only knew a few days earlier, as my Eduard decals are scheduled to arrive USPS between this morning. 🤞

The big test is going to be removing the carrier film24 hours after the decals were applied and see if I can achieve the painted on look. 🤞

I will be VERY interested to see how this goes!  :popcorn:

• Like 1

Hi Chris

Finally started decaling a few days ago and let the initial decals dry for a good 24 hours. Then for the big test: the clear carrier film was easy to peel up and remove from the gloss surface but as soon as I was over the decal, a nice size chunk lifted right off the model. :banned:Not good at all and I've decided to finish decaling the P-38 in the traditional manor, seal them in with a few more coats of clear gloss and move on. Should work just fine this way as well.

I think the stumbling block is the amount of adhesive on the actual decal isn't enough to hold the decal down when trying to lift and remove the carrier film.  Eduard has said that they never designed their decals to have the carrier film removable, only it was a happy accident. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2023 at 8:30 AM, Peterpools said:

Thanks Phil

Feeling better and had a follow up with my doctor yesterday and all seems to be OK now.

I haven't tried the AK Camouflage Putty yet but it's on my list. I doubled checked the free hand cammo work early this morning and need to make a few small adjustments and it looks good and I should be ready for glossing and kit (Tamiya) decals).  It's just hard getting used to working small again and air brushing needs to be done, ever so gently.

Glad to hear you're feeling better Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Chris

Still plugging away with the decals and they are almost done. I settled on a combination of both kit and Eduard decals and that has seemed to work out pretty well. Looking forward to doing an update a little later this week and I can finally see the finish line not to far away. 

While waiting for the Eduard decals to arrive, I started working on the Airfix Sea Fury and adding all the Barracuda upgrade sets, as the Airfix kit left a lot to be desired. 

IT’S DECALING TIME

FAILURE OR WAS IT?

Still annoyed at myself for waiting this long before deciding not to use the kit decals and ordered Eduard set # 48047, which also includes the kit Squadron markings as one of the options. Eduard changed their process of how they create their decals to a digital, in-house method approximately June of 2020 (thanks Rob), which allowed the carrier film to be removed, for a painted-on mask look. The plan is to give it a try and see how it goes.  

With the P-38 painted and a few smooth coats of Tamiya LP-9 Clear Gloss Lacquer applied, it was left to thoroughly dry while I waited for the decals to arrive.

Session One:

I applied about half the larger decals with the intention of having enough done to let dry for 24 hours and then try to remove the carrier film. As usual, I tend to way over gloss the surface and getting the decals to seat is no easy task if using just water to position them. Micro Set was used in place of water to locate and set the decals or else, they just slide all over the place.

Session Two:

With the test decals in place, I let them dry for a good 24 hours and now it was showtime. Best place to start was the upper wing decal as it is the safest decal to start with and if need be, I could splice or double decal if need be. I worked carefully and had no issues removing the decal film from the edges, over the clear gloss but as soon as the clear film was removed from on the actual decal, a large chunk peeled off – not good at all. Not sure why the decal didn’t bite into the gloss coat in that spot and I wasn’t going to tempt fate any further. From here on in, I would finish decaling the P-38 as I always do, let dry another 24 hours and then seal in all the decals with another few coats of LP-9; just too risky any other way.  

Session Three:

The Eduard decals are very thin and seem to be the equal of Cartograf in look and application. I’m staying with my time-tested method and finishing up that way. 

Of course, I kept looking at the Tamiya decals and they just didn’t look thick at all, only with the carrier film a bit milkier as compared to the Eduard decals. What the heck and why not give them a shot. I was blown away, as the Tamiya decals went down just beautifully with zero issues at all. I started with the shark’s teeth and was one happy camper.

Tamiya, my apologies and I’ll never doubt you again. 

Still some decaling work to do, panel line washes to apply and then start sealing up the decals and paint work with a few more coats of Tamiya LP-9 Gloss and lastly, finishing up with Tamiya LP-24 Semi Gloss.

4k6Uhw.jpg

tvoavD.jpg

0y8o9P.jpg

HDGpVI.jpg

jGpAcy.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks John

Pretty much getting close to the finish line and then onto the Airfix Sea Fury (a dog for sure) but I've already started it while waiting for the P-38 decals, so I might as well finish it.

Getting there for sure Peter. :)

• Like 1

Nice work on the decals Peter. I'm glad to see the kit ones didn't give you any troubles. 

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

You are as bad as I am Peter on procrastination of decals. The build is looking stunning……

I'm the same. Took me a couple weeks to get to them on the Andromeda and I still have some for my Millennium Falcon to put on before it's done. 

• Like 2

Peter,  Really nice work on the decals, and a mystery why the carrier film pulled up like it did.  I was not aware of being able to pull the carrier film up at all so that was news to me.  I've always done the traditional clear coat over the decals.  I do like both the Tamiya and the Eduard decals.

How many coats of clear gloss do you put over the decals?  

Overall, love the look of the P-38 in the OD, and those shark mouths.  Beautifully done!

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris, much appreciated.

The ability to peel off the carrier film on the new Eduard decals was a happy accident that Eduard never thought of, just worked out that way as they designed a new approach for their digital decals. I've just never been able to remove their carrier film completely without pulling up some of the decal itself. But when their new decals are applied in the normal way and the carrier film left alone, the results are as good a Cartograf.

I normally apply two light clear coats over the decals to blend everything together and that's it - the model is now ready for the final clear coat which I normally use Alclad Sheen.

In the home stages now and an update later today.

CLEAR COATS AND THE GEAR

Panel line washes have been applied, which help bring out the very petite details. If anything, I wish there were more engraved panel lines and as Rob’s build demonstrated, there is a lack of rivet detail. Yup, I could have added some but my modeling these days is firmly in the OOB camp and I tend to shy away from such work.

Two additional light coats of Tamiya LP-9 sealed in the decals as well as the panel line washes, followed up with a few final coats Alclad Sheen ALC 311. I’m not a fan of full flat aircraft finishes and prefer a slight metallic sheen, which the ALC 311 does wonderfully.

The gear was next up to be finished, being primed and then air brushed with Tamiya LC-38 Flat Aluminum. I wanted to try doing the oleos this time around with Bare Metal Chrome Foil rather then the Alclad route I normally do. The oleos pistons were measure with a pair of calibers, transferred to the Bare Metal Chrome Foil and very carefully cutout with a brand new Olfa blade in a Tamiya knife (just wish I could find a US vendor for the Olfa blades), as the slightest miss with the blade and the foil was ruined. The BMF oleo’s required a bit burnishing and some persuasion with a Q tip, the job done. In the end, they looked good but the Alclad chrome finish does look better; just a bit more work.

At this point, the gear went on, the tires and wheels added and fit very well.

The gear doors had been completed and painted much earlier in the build and following Tamiya’s instructions, went on for the most part without a hitch. I discovered that the plumbing in the gear bays needs to be left somewhat flexible so the gear door attachment flanges could slip into place easily, rather then a struggle.

For the life of me, the seat just didn’t want to play ball and took a lot of fussing to fit in correctly. Has to be my error somewhere along the line, just can’t figure out where I went amiss.  

The canopy masking was removed and the P-38 only needs a good day or so to add the remaining parts and glass and she will be ready to cross the finish line.

OOPS ... Late last night's bench session (1;30 AM) required some fine tuning with sanding and I forgot to dust and clean off the P-38 this morning before taking the photographs ... SHAME ON ME🧐

mLbOZe.jpg

s0sFKH.jpg

gQo1fv.jpg

QW6CLh.jpg

CwYJhi.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

I’m calling my Tamiya P-38F Lightning, Done and in the Books. Pure Tamiya, through and through. No pitfalls, beautifully molded with an abundance of details. The only additions to the kit: a Quinta Resin Front office, Eduard PE seatbelts and about half the decals being Eduard with the balance being Tamiya. Instructions were as to be expected, easy to follow and clearly showing all the part locations and orientations. Only issues were in two places, I jumped ahead in the construction sequence and that proved to be ill advised.

Finished adding the underwing landing lights, pitot tube, lower and upper nav lights and the center canopy. That’s it.

Paints of course were MRP Black Primer and the correct shades of Neutral Gray 43 and Olive Drab 41. 

Tried using a light blue background and still prefer the dark blue so much better.

6NELUz.jpg

bF9SZA.jpg

MuT6F6.jpg

32fdu3.jpg

WCXn9O.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2