The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya P-38F Lightning

It’s a beauty, Peter. I read that the radiator shape of the -J was more efficient and produced less drag than the earlier marks, but nothing beats the sleekiness of these -F models. And don’t talk to me about the XP-38 : the embodiment of speed in its era.

Anyway, well done, Peter 👍 !

Hubert

• Like 2

Thanks Hubert

So very much appreciated. For my money, the P-38 was the class of the field. What a gorgeous looking aircraft and of all the aircraft Kelly Johnson designed, my two favorites have always been the Lightning and the Connie. 

Just a wonderful build and nearly a perfect kit. 

• Like 1

Unlike Hubert, I like the powerful looking -J better, than the early models, with one exception Peter and this is yours. Again you build and painted a perfectly finished model which is pure eye candy. The decals are blended in completely and you have the right touch for a very convincing finish, scale wise.
Sometimes, it feels so good to have such  a Über-kit, where you can fully concentrate on the appearance. Perfect for me, as building is the most boring part through a project.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Peter,  Simply stunning, as everyone else has pointed out.  Regardless of Tamiya or not, you still put together a fantastic build - it doesn't just happen!  A lovely bird all around and love taking close-up looks at the superchargers and cockpit photos - just beautiful!!  :unworthy:

• Like 2

Thanks Chris, so very much appreciated.

I enjoy building Tamiya and Eduard kits more then any other brand for so many reasons, the detail is there, parts fit and the instructions are easy to follow. There is no such thing as easy kits are assembled and poorly engineered kits are built; every kit is assembled. The only difference is how much extra work and time needs to be put in to assemble a poorly designed kit and that's just not any fun in my book. I enjoy the finishing portion of a build more then the actual construction, as that's what I see in the display case. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 6:55 AM, Peterpools said:

DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

I’m calling my Tamiya P-38F Lightning, Done and in the Books. Pure Tamiya, through and through. No pitfalls, beautifully molded with an abundance of details. The only additions to the kit: a Quinta Resin Front office, Eduard PE seatbelts and about half the decals being Eduard with the balance being Tamiya. Instructions were as to be expected, easy to follow and clearly showing all the part locations and orientations. Only issues were in two places, I jumped ahead in the construction sequence and that proved to be ill advised.

Finished adding the underwing landing lights, pitot tube, lower and upper nav lights and the center canopy. That’s it.

Paints of course were MRP Black Primer and the correct shades of Neutral Gray 43 and Olive Drab 41. 

Tried using a light blue background and still prefer the dark blue so much better.

6NELUz.jpg

bF9SZA.jpg

MuT6F6.jpg

32fdu3.jpg

WCXn9O.jpg

That's a beauty Peter just as I knew it would be. Well done! :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2023 at 3:40 PM, Peterpools said:

PW

Working on the Lightning almost every day and she is a dream for sure. I've never 'bought' that a beautifully engineered Tamiya kit falls together all by themselves and believe me they don't. Lots to do and a lot of kit for the money. What Tamiya does do better then anyone else in my opinion, is correctly engineer a kit, so the builder doesn't have to correct all the mistakes and ill-fitting parts. Somehow fixing manufactures issues has become to be known as modeling but not to me. You get what you pay for and Tamiya kits cost what they do as they deliver everything the purchaser expects and wants.  

I hear you and agree.

• Like 2

Thanks Martin, much appreciated. Tamiya just never fails to amaze me and their kits just keep raising the bar. Oh I only wish their P-38 would be 'grown' to 1/32nd scale but Tamiya is no longer designing and producing new aircraft kits in the larger scales.

• Like 1