Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Marine Mud Mover: PBJ-1H Gun Ship “Love Bug” VMB-613 in early 1945

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

The last picture shows metal leading edge, probably right after the conversion. I wonder if they removed the ice-defrosting system as well?

Good question, but from what I understand, anything and everything not necessary for long range over water flights was removed. So yes, I’d expect that the deice system would be removed.  Side waist glass was removed, along with top turrets, package guns, etc.  They felt the package guns were tough on the airframes, so they dumped them off.   Every 6 or so pounds saved, was another gallon of fuel that could be loaded aboard, while still able to carry as many rounds and bombs as they had room to cram aboard. These B-25s took the war right to the enemy’s doorstep, and the firepower they unleashed was positively breathtaking. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Plenty of work to do, but we did a bit of weathering on the fuselage so far, then repainted the nose again as it was repainted multiple times during these aircraft’s lives.  I applied the fuselage decals, and will mostly obliterate the aircraft name while destroying this paint. The rest of the fuselage will receive a bunch more weathering and a light grey wash to blend it all together.  
Im very unsure about the scale fidelity of the aircraft name.  It almost appears too big.  If so, we’ll change directions and GI with a full NMF nose as these got after the Squadron got fed up with repainting the noses every single day. 
I started laying paint on the wings today.  

IMG_2032.jpeg

IMG_2031.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Help is on the way :)

Please keep the file, Martin. I have this one planned as a future build and have no cutter yet.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

On 3/12/2024 at 2:01 PM, DocRob said:

Please keep the file, Martin. I have this one planned as a future build and have no cutter yet.

Cheers Rob

Print it onto tamiya making paper sheet might work? 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Not much has been happening here.  Fuselage stars freshly painted, they need toning down.  The nose has about 10 coats of slightly different shades  I’m hoping a few very light passes with 15000 grit will give some interesting effects. I might be hoping for too much.   Guys, I’m still really undecided on the hard edges.  I believe they were hard edge demarcation lines, but field painting probably changed much of that, especially on the lower edges.  
Plus, the black backgrounds on the fins are much too stark. Tomorrow, out comes the RLM 66
Thoughts? 

Still at it, but car show season is upon us…..

IMG_8438.jpeg

IMG_8440.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators

Everybody builds 8-Ball when building this kit as a Marine gunship, but Love Bug, to me, is the quintessential USMC crate.  Two brothers were the Commanders of the two crews, and this airplane was operating every day, each crew alternating duty.  When she went in, it was due to faulty execution by leadership, not due to the lack of bravery of her crew. 

The decals given by Profimodeler are 100% completely useless.  The kit is necessary to get the resin parts, though, so yes, you still need to grab the conversion if you aren’t into scratchbuilding.  

• Like 5

Ernie, I'd have to agree with you that with the amount of field repaints, the camo would most likely be soft edged. Maybe a tight soft edge. 

As for the markings, at least you caught the errors before getting that far. 

Rubber black and NATO black are also good options for a faded black. 

• Like 3

Ernie

Not up on the history of the paint application: factory vs field. Of course, it's pretty hard to find close up/detailed photographs documenting the specific airplane but if in doubt, I would go with the factory cammo of hard edge.  I'm with Carl and use a lot more Nato and rubber black these days then straight black as the effect looks so much better. Sometimes I even use MRP Primer flat black for a unique effect all of its own.

:construction: 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Martin’s files arrived and we ran a quick spray on the numbers.  The correct font, finally!  And doing some work on the cowls.   Now, weathering, exhaust stains, and major chipping on the wings and engine nacelles.  

IMG_2248.jpeg

IMG_2247.jpeg

• Like 10

• Administrators

Weathering and trashing it according to the few pictures out there.  My mind screams TOO MUCH!  The available historical evidence says NOT ENOUGH!  The front of these was BLACK from gun powder residue. It blew back in uneven waves. 

IMG_2279.jpeg

IMG_2277.jpeg

• Like 8

I’m liking what I am seeing, Ernie, but if the pics say « more grime », go for it ! When for once you do not have to invent a Spanish-school quilted effect…

Hubert

• Like 5

• Administrators

Hello again, folks!

After peering at what I had done so far compared to what few pictures of Love Bog showed, I thought it needed a tiny bit of darkening around the big gun, so I grabbed my trust pastels and did a “minor” course correction, being unwilling to leave well enough alone.  
The result reminded me of that scene in one of the “Airplane!” Movies where the lady was applying lipstick in the lavatory right as the big bird hit turbulence.

Thankfully, I do this sort of work in pastels, sealing with clear between steps, so the black and dark grey washed right off. LOL

Here is your cringe worthy moment of my build….

IMG_2294.jpeg

• Like 4