Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya 1/48 F-14A; Update: 4/19/24 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Mike, so very much appreciated. Forging ahead these past few days when time allowed, I'm close to wrapping up the decal work and have been applying a lot of stencils using both the Furball and Tamiya offerings. They keep adding up like daily calories to those of us on a diet and I'm close to the 500 mark when adding in the missiles and drop tanks to the count.  Hopefully I'll finish this portion of the build over the weekend.

• Like 2

DECALING - ALL 370 OF THEM

and the 

THE PANEL LINE WASH

DONE

All the decal work is now finished. At first, I wasn’t going to apply most of the stencil data and placards but in the end, I guess added about 80 -90%; a bit over 370 decals in all. What I did find very interesting is Tamiya decal instructions drawings didn’t match Furballs as close as I thought. Decal size, color, style/shape and location at times were different. Instructions varied as one sheet showed a stencil in a location and it wasn’t on the other sheet and vice versa – oh what fun.  I just used what I thought look good and match the photographs the best, when I actually compared them. Afterall, I was manly after the effect of breaking up the surfaces with some interesting details.

Panel Line Wash, Flory and Ultimate water based PLW were used. Easy to apply, easy to clean up and the effect was what I was after, with a bit left on the surface to add a very slight used and flown appearance.

Getting ready to wipe down the Big Cat and apply the final two coats of clears: Tamiya X22 Clear Gloss to seal and blend in the decals and a semi gloss for the final reflective sheen.

I’m in the home stretch now and depending on how Diane’s and my medical appointments go this week, the Tomcat may just cross the line.  

Wings and stabilators are just still being test fitted and not glued in place as of yet.  

rv3nRu.jpg

Wlbsbv.jpg

gBYBc5.jpg

I0t60I.jpg

889RhH.jpg

qY0Y9I.jpg

Jbi9oe.jpg

Drop tanks, arrestor hook, wing glove veins, and the canopy are now also completed.

TdcWRp.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 F-14A; Update: 4/14/24 - Decaling, stencils and PLWs are done
4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

DECALING - ALL 370 OF THEM

and the 

THE PANEL LINE WASH

DONE

All the decal work is now finished. At first, I wasn’t going to apply most of the stencil data and placards but in the end, I guess added about 80 -90%; a bit over 370 decals in all. What I did find very interesting is Tamiya decal instructions drawings didn’t match Furballs as close as I thought. Decal size, color, style/shape and location at times were different. Instructions varied as one sheet showed a stencil in a location and it wasn’t on the other sheet and vice versa – oh what fun.  I just used what I thought look good and match the photographs the best, when I actually compared them. Afterall, I was manly after the effect of breaking up the surfaces with some interesting details.

Panel Line Wash, Flory and Ultimate water based PLW were used. Easy to apply, easy to clean up and the effect was what I was after, with a bit left on the surface to add a very slight used and flown appearance.

Getting ready to wipe down the Big Cat and apply the final two coats of clears: Tamiya X22 Clear Gloss to seal and blend in the decals and a semi gloss for the final reflective sheen.

I’m in the home stretch now and depending on how Diane’s and my medical appointments go this week, the Tomcat may just cross the line.  

Wings and stabilators are just still being test fitted and not glued in place as of yet.  

rv3nRu.jpg

Wlbsbv.jpg

gBYBc5.jpg

I0t60I.jpg

889RhH.jpg

qY0Y9I.jpg

Jbi9oe.jpg

Drop tanks, arrestor hook, wing glove veins, and the canopy are now also completed.

TdcWRp.jpg

Sure is pretty Peter! Great looking Tomcat fresh out of the factory and paint shop. :)

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks John, very much appreciated. It's always been my preference for how I like to display my models in the display case. 

They certainly dress up a display case! Nice!!!

• Like 5

Peter, that is beautiful!  The markings are incredible and the plane looks amazing.  370???  Wow...But the plane looks terrific.  Love the panel washes as they really make the plane pop.  I have that set of the AK Enamel Paneliner washes which I want to try out on this build and write a review on.  I hope it comes out half as nice as your work.

• Like 3

Thanks Mike, just a pleasure to build as with Tamiya kits, parts fit and the instructions are clear and concise .For a kit of this size, the amount of masking tape and time needed to apply it was nearly a record for me, as it seemed once I reached the painting stage, I was always masking something.

• Like 3

Thanks John

She surely will be displayed front and center and in a few weeks, I have two more glass shelves coming and that will be the max the case can hold, as all the other shelves are now jammed with completed builds. Actually, there was a time I never thought I would actually fill up the display case.

• Like 1

Scott, very much appreciated. I've tried almost every medium for doing panel lines and always come back to the water based ones, as you just can't go wrong and they can't damage or harm the surface no matter what. 

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, very much appreciated.

Yup, I actually counted them and I'm sure there were more but when I reached 370, it was enough to make my head spin, thinking how much time I spent on them. To be honest, once I was on a roll, it was actually a lot of fun adding them as it's something I normally don't do. 

I've long given up using any PLW that requires a solvent to remove them from outside the actual panel lines, as I've marred the finish more then a few times. With the water/clay-based washes, it's nearly impossible to ruin or damage the surface - just add extra water to the Q-tip or paper towel and they wash right off. The key for the application is a smooth gloss finish otherwise the wash clings to the surface and is nearly impossible to completely remove.

Looking forward to your update with the AK Enamel Panel Liner and review, as there are assemblies such as the gear that don't lend themselves to the Flory wash and I'm always looking for a good alternative.

I'm sure, your F4 is going to look the part every but as the Tomcat.

• Like 3

She looks peteresque, in other words fantastic, with your typical clean and contrast rich signature finish. Good that you added most of the stencils, which make the build even better. Somehow this is addictive, isn´t it?
I sometimes wondered over decals for the same plane, lately Eduards Cartograph decals for a 1/48 Phantom compared to HGW´s wet transfers.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Peterpools said:

I've long given up using any PLW that requires a solvent to remove them from outside the actual panel lines, as I've marred the finish more then a few times. With the water/clay-based washes, it's nearly impossible to ruin or damage the surface - just add extra water to the Q-tip or paper towel and they wash right off. The key for the application is a smooth gloss finish otherwise the wash clings to the surface and is nearly impossible to completely remove.

Same with me, I like the Flory clay washes or self mixed washes from oil colors, where the depth is very controllable and they are also risk free to remove. My bought PLW are drying out since some time.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Thanks, Robs so very much appreciated.

After all these years, I have developed my own style for the finish of most of my models and just enjoy looking at them in my display case as it is my miniature museum. I actually did enjoy adding all the stencils once I was on a roll, as the super smooth finish and first-class quality of the decals made the application easy and enjoyable.

I've never used the HGW transfers but maybe someday. I'm just a decal guy and it's part of my normal workflow.

Agreed about the PLW's, as ones that don't require solvents to final cleanup always have worked the best for me.

• Like 5

DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

I’m calling the Big Cat done, in the books and ready for the display case. With the clear gloss final coats behind me, it was time to start adding the small and finishing assemblies. I forgot just how BIG and HEAVY the Big Cat actually is.

With the Big Cat still on her back, all the loadouts and drop tanks were added. Then the landing gear and gear doors were next and with her Nikes on, she was finally ready to stand on her own legs. What a milestone.

On her feet for the first time, the windscreen and canopy glass masking was removed, the ejection seats and Rio combing were added as well.

All the final bits and pieces were now added, including the small antennas and probes – good thing Tamiya thoughtfully designed the frets to include extra ones, which were of course needed.

Burner cans and exhausts required a good few days to be masked painted with various Alclads and then glued into position, oh so carefully.

It was finally time to roll her out on the flight line.

This is my second Tamiya 48th scale Tomcat, beautifully detailed, with excellent part fit, easy to follow instructions and absolutely is not a shake and bake kit. You have to very carefully follow the construction sequence and fit the parts as precisely as possible. Just never understood where the idea that Tamiya kits are shake and bake, as they are from it. What Tamiya is and gives you that most manufacturers fail to, is a kit where the parts will fit if done correctly, you don’t have re-engineer the kit for the parts to fit, a zero cuss factor and a wonderful building experience. For me, this is what the hobby should be all about.   

Of course, now the Tomcat is done, I found a few more items I need to add – par for the course these days.

0EZYux.jpg

ody2vQ.jpg

la8r08.jpg

qFFD1S.jpg

Si4bkd.jpg

jWrAqp.jpg

7zCsuk.jpg

GGCMA2.jpg

OLZ0JB.jpg

QE0130.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 F-14A; Update: 4/19/24 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS