Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/18 Hawker Sea Fury - probably VX620..

Hola Peter, thank you for the update, pit looks incredible.

However, there is just one thing that hits the eye. The slack in the seat belts between their anchor point and the edge of the seat. They should hang loose, there is not enough material to create the droopy effect.  Weight of the buckles is pulling them down. It is more natural.

Other that that, perfection. :)

Ok, I am going back to my knitting 

Cheers

Martin 🧶

0dvISS.jpg.webp

DETSFR7.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

afternoon ladies :)

On 5/23/2024 at 2:26 PM, Martinnfb said:

Hola Peter, thank you for the update, pit looks incredible.

However, there is just one thing that hits the eye. The slack in the seat belts between their anchor point and the edge of the seat. They should hang loose, there is not enough material to create the droopy effect.  Weight of the buckles is pulling them down. It is more natural.

Martin
🧶

Great spot Martin- corrected now :) that is the beauty of posting a WIP, thankfully you good folks pick things up I miss

been busying myself with fuselage skinning which I have shown the process for many times - essentially masking tape templates and scale panels drawn from them to nail the rivet patterns. restoration pics are invaluable at this point. like this one..

17EPXt.jpg

these can then be transposed one by one to a drawing from the tape template and the printout used as the rivet guide..

..the cowling was probably the hardest to fashion, but I will let the pics explain work to date..

N3WmW3.jpg

5szVVe.jpg

CRd5KH.jpg

Jo1cjB.jpg

IaR7fj.jpg

tYq36Y.jpg

ilGRmL.jpg

..the exhaust area is a complicated little structure, so more work to be done there..

..think I will finish the fuselage, add the tailfeathers and then make a start on the wings

take care y'all

TTFN
Peter

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I just dropped my jaw so abruptly so as I looked for it, I almost stabbed myself with a needle. Knitting can be quite dangerous.

Peter, I don't even know where to start, canopy frame or the disparity of your riveting patterns. Simply beautiful !

Chees

Martin 🧶 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, airscale said:

Great spot Martin- corrected now :) that is the beauty of posting a WIP, thankfully you good folks pick things up I miss

been busying myself with fuselage skinning which I have shown the process for many times - essentially masking tape templates and scale panels drawn from them to nail the rivet patterns. restoration pics are invaluable at this point. like this one..

17EPXt.jpg

these can then be transposed one by one to a drawing from the tape template and the printout used as the rivet guide..

..the cowling was probably the hardest to fashion, but I will let the pics explain work to date..

N3WmW3.jpg

5szVVe.jpg

CRd5KH.jpg

Jo1cjB.jpg

IaR7fj.jpg

tYq36Y.jpg

ilGRmL.jpg

..the exhaust area is a complicated little structure, so more work to be done there..

..think I will finish the fuselage, add the tailfeathers and then make a start on the wings

take care y'all

TTFN
Peter

Next level stuff! Looks like real deal...but fingerprint on panel reveals scale...:unworthy:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

thank you chaps - inspires me to keep improving :)

after another little break abroad, I came back to continue skinning the rear fuselage and fin, and to construct the stabilisters & rudder and skin those too. My refs show a mix of what look like pop rivets and normal countersunk ones on the tailfeathers so I tried to replicate that. It was a mental change to start to do everything in reverse as far as making them and I found it hard to not burnish and sand the metal like I do with countersunk rivets.

first the rudder..

6Y2nwS.jpg

..and the elevators..

jVdOM1.jpg

.. I think it kinda works, tghough you basically can't finish the surface as you would abrade the tops off all the rivets..

..the tailwheel bay was completed with a rod temporarily passing through to lock the leg in place. I have not weathered this or painted the leg yet..

also the fairings need adding still..

BQ475I.jpg

,,and a few glamour shots of how it stands now..

4tTesc.jpg

6QLTPc.jpg

subwqe.jpg

ASW0Vy.jpg

6nliG0.jpg

6D6zuo.jpg

so coming along..

I was thinking about paints and the final colour scheme - I will definately be doing a Royal Navy one, does anyone have any paint recommendations for the FAA Sky & Dark Grey colours, I normally try and use MRP, but I can't see they do these colours. I am less worried about who makes it, but do want it to look right so it is accurate colours I need - I have seen some great builds over the years but not found (or more like retained..) much info on these..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 9

On 7/1/2024 at 12:27 PM, airscale said:

I was thinking about paints and the final colour scheme - I will definately be doing a Royal Navy one, does anyone have any paint recommendations for the FAA Sky & Dark Grey colours, I normally try and use MRP, but I can't see they do these colours. I am less worried about who makes it, but do want it to look right so it is accurate colours I need - I have seen some great builds over the years but not found (or more like retained..) much info on these..

TTFN

Peter

I love the glossy overall Oxford Blue RAAF Sea Fury with the white spinner.

https://images.app.goo.gl/utcqeoTHxYNYZH8z9

• Like 3

Peter

Meticulous work - simply a pleasure to follow your progress. I've now built two Sea Fury's and my Fisher build has my favorite scheme, which surely is an eye catcher in the display case.

JgKKJ6.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Ooooh thats a nice model Peter, I hope mine turns out as well 😍

I took the plastic card wing cores and added foam & filler to generate the blanks, careful attention paid to the leading edge intakes & radiator shapes. Chopped out the landing lights and added vacformed clear replacements and then the last few weeks have been busy skinning the forms...

iYQLB6.jpg

..I started with the cannon blisters and worked outwards - these are the hardest part and it is much easier to make panels fit things like this, than try and make the blisters fit in existing panels..

..because of the wing fold, the panel & rivet layout is quite complex..

tJ8Er6.jpg

XbYY5g.jpg

DM7xTX.jpg

3GQwJ8.jpg

sTIuLz.jpg

lMl7eL.jpg

..also started on the radiator skinning, though not much done yet..

Dj1yK8.jpg

QytBa2.jpg

q8mSQk.jpg

T28Kv5.jpg

5jJygD.jpg

..starting to look like an aeroplane :)

..think I will finish the tops and move onto the bottoms, which are even more complicated - prolly 30 - 40,000 damned rivets on this one...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 10

Good morning! I wanted to compliment you on your work.... Superb!
I've fallen in love with the plane for some time and soon I'm going to do it even if not in 1:16 but in 1:48 by Airfix, 
I'll steal the photos for the cockpit so I'll try to make it as realistic as possible! congratulations again!
  • Like 5

Peter

The incredible work continues with new techniques being used with every update. I'm right with Kev, those screws look as real as they get. Love to know how you made the screws, as they could be real!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

thanks chaps :) very kind

On 7/20/2024 at 9:28 PM, KevinM said:

looking great as usual Peter got to wonder though what is the process on the screw heads?:hsmack:

If it is the Dzus fasteners, they were etched for my Spit years ago, if not, then it is an awl to make the circle and a ground scalpel blade to make the slot :)

now I will say I never want to see another pipe or wire again...

I have pretty much done the U/C bay which is an amazingly complex arrangement on this aircraft - even so I have probably got about 80% of it and where I can see it the pipework is routed correctly. Tried to match 'Hawker yellow' but not sure if I did very well - i can see a few things need doing in the photos so here we go..

cia0r6.jpg

eVwQVU.jpg

na5Uq1.jpg

f8XD8o.jpg

Re3so8.jpg

k9QZfc.jpg

H1r5VR.jpg

o9Wwqc.jpg

sP9ZWN.jpg

also skinned upper and lower wings...

Ud4GUk.jpg

Xf1wLP.jpg

YvPblS.jpg

6Iq5sT.jpg

Auffhr.jpg

so it's getting there - I think I will do the undercowl next, or maybe the wing roots - the undercowl looks intimidating as it's a bunch of louvres so I maight try and crack that first :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

C’mon, Peter, we know you are an outstanding modeller. No need to post pics of the real A/C landing gear bays and pretend it’s your work ;) . Show us your real work, we’ll be kind to you. I promise …

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

C’mon, Peter, we know you are an outstanding modeller. No need to post pics of the real A/C landing gear bays and pretend it’s your work ;) . Show us your real work, we’ll be kind to you. I promise …

Hubert

I had the same thought's in the beginning model or  real?:hsmack::unworthy::popcorn:

• Like 2

Peter

I'm continuously 'blown away' with each update of your incredible work and progress. The wheel wells, as Hubert said could easily pass as the real deal - I've never seen such realism in details and weathering. And the aluminum skin - brilliant and then some. 🏆

:construction:

• Like 1