Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/18 Hawker Sea Fury - probably VX620..

No rest for the wicked they say, so with the paint drying on my S6B it's time for a new project..

I built a Hobbyboss Sea Fury back in the day and added loads to it including a visible engine and I have always wanted to make a large scale one. The problem was (and is) it doesn't fit in my display cabinet. I remeasured it the other day and somehow got my sums wrong and thought it would fit so off I went and started researching.. Turns out I was right the first time, the airfame is a beast and won't fit so will need a home once complete (or I get a bigger cabinet..)

My last one was the civil demonstrator G-AKRY, but now I just proved to myself I can paint an aeroplane, this one will be a service machine. Choosing one is harder than I thought - it's got to be RN, but to be honest, they were all painted the same :)

for now I chose this one VX620..

RfeXJq.jpg

I started with Jumpeii Temma's plans and checked these with Will at DBMK on the one they scanned - they were bang on, so I designed the parts for my cutter..

also made a 3D cowling..

..the brass bar is to keep the keel rigid..

RcwhsF.jpg

..the keel was taped to a flat sheet of acrylic and all the formers added - I also 3D printed a wingroot section to help alignment..

dlRQpD.jpg

MxcyVs.jpg

..I have had problems with plastic card cores flexing during construction so I clamped an ali bar and added the other side, moving the bar as I went..

z0sroZ.jpg

..very quickly the fuselage took shape - it is huge..

..the floor is too high here and had to be chopped out and lowered - this is the problem with not having drawings :)

gynSrM.jpg

W7ndn4.jpg

6ikTwA.jpg

..having designed the cowling, I spent some time doing the prop, spinner and a basic engine front..

LbHLnQ.jpg

I think it came out pretty good - it defines the aeroplane so has to be right..

I60s8x.jpg

wnPcX9.jpg

..starting to look like the brute it is..

y7W9Vt.jpg

rwXzRY.jpg

tPEzTn.jpg

..so thats it - off and running with a new build :)

..A plea for help - if anyone has any good interior pictures of the cockpit, seat, seat bulkhead, rollover structure, please drop them here or PM me ;)

also if there are more unique RN schemes out there I am definately open to a rethink

TTFN

Peter

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Peter

I'm riveted to my chair and will be following every step of the way. I do remember so many years ago on LSP when we met as you recreated a gem from the old Hobbycraft kit. It's so hard to comprehend your progress to date - faster then I build a kit OOB. I've only built two Sea Fury's: The Fisher 32nd kit and the Airfix 48th scale kit and each sits front and center in my display case. For me, the Sea Fury looks and power is the Queen of the Skies.  

• Like 3

Thank you Peter - very kind :)

I went to make a basic cockpit tub from 3D and once printed I needed to make some adjustments...

while I was at it, I got a bit carried away..

7gfvCq.jpg

d5LoT3.jpg

NuNAWB.jpg

T7yMWi.jpg

R2n1aD.jpg

m0jf1i.jpg

arC3Bq.jpg

tYZ4nX.jpg

still lots to do, but a great canvas, even if it is cheating a bit :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13

Peter

OMG, just incredible detail and workmanship. 

There is a new 32nd scale Sea Fury coming our way and when it becomes available, I absolutely buy a kit and dig into the build. Of course, your build will easily be my guide and research.

• Like 5

hey guys :)

bit more done...

..I had done such a rudimentary job on the engine, so even though very little can be seen, I added what I could..

An6v19.jpg

the fuselage formers were bulked out with hard foam and all the template outlines blacked out with a sharpie so I can see the sanding thresholds later.. also added some card formers to help shape the exhaust area around the nose..

YSQwVI.jpg

pmuPHP.jpg

I made up a 3D part to lock all the features of the wings together with the spars and dihedral on the outer wing panels and made up ribs from 2mm card..

wwmfHe.jpg

uqB2py.jpg

..and the wings & airframe start to take shape - it looks like an air racer without the last few ribs and the wingtips..

G9gwrm.jpg

x5KF3d.jpg

oXyXA4.jpg

iIKWYI.jpg

LYOCgO.jpg

jt713X.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

What type of dark grey putty do you use?

I'm curious as I see the foam filler and the styrene formers you have marked with sharpie.

If you sand down until you see sharpie lines won't the filler be so thin at that point it will have no strength?  Unless the foam is harder than it looks...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello ladies :)

Thanks for all your kind comments :)

On 4/9/2024 at 5:47 PM, KUROK said:

What type of dark grey putty do you use?

I'm curious as I see the foam filler and the styrene formers you have marked with sharpie.

If you sand down until you see sharpie lines won't the filler be so thin at that point it will have no strength?  Unless the foam is harder than it looks...

I use P38 car body filler and yes, it can get perilously thin - I have stuck a rivet awl right through a panel and into the foam before. I have tried coating the foam in resin but the only thing that really seems to work is flooding it with thin CA. That is not practical though so I just try and sand away enough foam beforehand to leave enough of a filler skim to give enough skin strength. It's a process I need to master as it would be a perfect solution if I could coat the foam in a substance that gave it proper rigidity.

So, after a 3 week break in Bali things have been a bit slow on the Sea Fury - but some stuff has been done..

I made the gear legs by integrating brass and 3D. I assembled it all before I left and left it standing on my bench. By the time I got back, the wheel mount struts had completely warped under load proving what I suspected that the elegoo 8k resin I use just wasn't up to structural work. Having read up about strong ABS alternatives I went with eSun ABS like resin and printed the parts in that instead..

ml26NX.jpg

bbqT1T.jpg

..the great thing about 3D is you can get absolutely correct geometry and incorporate all the detail found on the original.. after clean up & prime it worked well and they seem strong enough but I am still testing load - if they fail, the lower wheel mount will be made in brass..

1pes8F.jpg

..also hopping about all over the place, I made the basic gear bay roof out of litho & plastic strut..

vjBVmq.jpg

and a centre rib in 3D with all the little valves & fittings..

..there is a TON of pipework in the bay..

tK5oii.jpg

..also made up the wingtips and finished the wing cores..

P2GZ80.jpg

nl2wI6.jpg

..another experiment was trying the IP in 3D - I usually make all this in PE, but as my supplier has a 5 week wait, I thought I would give it a go. The panel is 0.3mm thick so I thought there was little chance of success without warping, but again, I stuck lucky & it came out alright..

pAyFNe.jpg

MBeyEk.jpg

m9ki3L.jpg

Epvh1J.jpg

..time to get this cockpit worked up and properly sorted - I have a good basis now..

g1OVOg.jpg

pq8WGm.jpg

..it's a fun build - I am enjoying it :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Peter

So glad you enjoyed your vacation to Bali, re-charged the batteries and back at the bench. Gear and IP are brilliant and gorgeous as always. Just a pleasure to follow your work and thought process, as the results are strictly museum presentation level and of the highest standards. 🏆

:construction:

• Like 4

3d printing seems to have limitless options and the quality is progressing by he hour. IP looks like the real deal, splendid work Peter. Just splendid.

Cheers

Martin 🧶

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hola ladies :)

Cockpit is pretty much done..

I based it on an unrestored original in a private collection and just copied what I saw

Rear bulkhead..

c4yGRz.jpg

D2fNLX.jpg

..added the compass and control column to the floor and removed the gunsight panel as it will get damaged once the tub is in place..

r3WuSn.jpg

..LH side panel including throttle..

456RPr.jpg

RH side panel..

HmkwI3.jpg

..the seat cushions are milliput and the one area I am unhappy with - the colour & shape is fine, but I think the weathering / effect is a bit naff..

EwvYaw.jpg

ncFlah.jpg

23JZrt.jpg

S4RYnJ.jpg

..side panels dry fitted..

zNblSw.jpg

gfTVKF.jpg

..however, when it all closed up, the usual happens - you can't see much of it.. but it's my favourite bit so I don't care :)

d2x1zW.jpg

0dvISS.jpg

..will try and get it installed and integrate it into the fuselage now..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2