The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/48 F-14A Tomcat VF-112 The Aardvarks

The Big Cat was rolled onto the flightline today and is getting ready to take her place in my display case next to my first Tamiya 1/48 F-14A I built when the kit was first released. An absolute pleasure to build with not a second of frustration, truly an enjoyable build. Furball decals, MRP and Alclad paints.

Additional photographs of the completed Tomcat have been posted on the build thread, Done and in the Books. update.

6TqZrH.jpg

WYU0nr.jpg

7zCsuk.jpg

xsbqss.jpg

• Like 8

Simply amazing, your builds Peter, are always joy to follow. This one was no different and the result is phenomenal, crisp build of a beautiful aeroplane with outstanding presentation. Bravo! 

Martin

• Like 2

Martin. thank you so very much for the compliments on my Tomcat and build thread presentation. A tremendous kit, well engineering and yet Tamiya included many build challenges along the way. I do enjoy doing the updates and I'm guilty of spending a lot of time on the presentation and photographs, all of which are focused stacked and tweaked in both Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, to be sharp front to back and colors adjusted as needed.

• Like 2

Thanks Carl, just a wonderful build experience as always.

Next up on the bench if they arrive in time for my next project, should be two Tamiya /148 P-47D Thunderbolts, a Bubbletop and razorback with Quinta details for each front office. My collection of Jugs is slowly but steady growing, as they were aircraft built right here on Long Island during the war. The Republic in Farmingdale and Grumman in Bethpage factories back in the day were maybe just 30 minutes apart by car, as long as the growing Long Islands world famous traffic was bumper to bumper. If memory serves me correctly, I think both were on the same line of the old LRRR as well. 

• Like 2

Like mentioned in the WIP, a truly fantastic outcome Peter. The Tomcat not only shows your usual quality finish, but the vivid scheme is absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to crack my -D box, but nooooo, these stencils :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Thanks Mike. an awesome kit from Tamiya for sure.

On the bench and underway; a Tamiya 1/48 P-47D Razorback Jug and hopefully after that, I'll be ready to start the ICM B-26B Marauder if either Quinta or Eduard release a cockpit AM set for it. The balance of the kit seems very well detailed from reviews and oner build I'm now following.

• Like 2

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 F-14A Tomcat VF-112 The Aardvarks