Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Wahoo my daughter in law got promoted

Posted (edited)

Congratulations Jeff!

Glad it was worth the trip out to our end of the country. 

Don't forget to stop by for some beer and BBQ before you fly back. 

Carl

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Fix typo
  • Like 5

Thanks Carl. I will let you know when we get to town and out of the airport. Overnighting Monday and out early heading west Tuesday morning. Even if we don’t hook up it will be great to be in town

• Like 4

She is being promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. I much prefer Wing Commander but sadly we don’t use those names any more. ☹️ Thanks for your kind words Martin. The ceremony is on Friday. 

• Like 8

Thanks guys. It is a great achievement and Cathy and I are very proud of her. With luck  maybe full Colonel in a couple years but that remains to be seen , we all know how this stuff goes. The ‘official’ ceremony is Friday and we are lucky enough to be able to attend. Looking forward to that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Jeff

Congratulations to the both of you - that is quite an accomplishment. 

Thanks Peter. Appreciate the kind words and thoughts

• Like 3

Thanks for clarifying, I cannot figure out y’all’s funny rank insignias! LOL!  Almost as confusing at the US NAVY.  Congrats big time!  Quite the achievement she’s made there.  

Edit:  I just noticed it’s served up in a bag like Canadian milk. What’s with all the plastic bags?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Thanks for clarifying, I cannot figure out y’all’s funny rank insignias! LOL!  Almost as confusing at the US NAVY.  Congrats big time!  Quite the achievement she’s made there.  

Edit:  I just noticed it’s served up in a bag like Canadian milk. What’s with all the plastic bags?  

Lol like milk, they are brand new still in the ‘package’ I didn’t feel right taking them out and fondling them as they aren’t mine to play with. 😎

Thanks for the kind words , Scott. As mentioned I am VERY  proud of her. She has gone higher than any other family member. My son, her husband is a Major and we have had another Major but he was back in WWI and he won the Military Cross and Carhy’s Uncle was a WWII Flt Lt  ( today’s Captain) navigator on Halifaxes and Lancasters and he won the DFC. 

• Like 5

That’s awesome!  I come from a military family as well, but I skipped it after growing up an Air Force brat.  Having a dad that was an E-9 that couldn’t separate home life from work really turned me off to the military lifestyle. I kid around and tell everyone I served 15 years until Dad retired in ‘77.  My son is now an Army Captain. 
Grand dad was an enlisted man in WWI and got called back to duty for WWII as an officer. Bird Colonel under McArther. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

That’s awesome!  I come from a military family as well, but I skipped it after growing up an Air Force brat.  Having a dad that was an E-9 that couldn’t separate home life from work really turned me off to the military lifestyle. I kid around and tell everyone I served 15 years until Dad retired in ‘77.  My son is now an Army Captain. 
Grand dad was an enlisted man in WWI and got called back to duty for WWII as an officer. Bird Colonel under McArther. 

So cool Scott, my dad did RCAF time as ground crew in India / Burma with a transport squadron, Cathy’s dad did 25 years in the RCN and I have a second cousin who worked for Reuters and was attached to MacArthur through out the Pacific and we found out recently that our cousin escaped Corrigador under heavy Japanese fire, in the dark, in a stolen boat and just barely made it. 

• Like 4

Interesting. Dad was in MAC. Military Airlift Command, a Loadmaster.   He actually helped work on the design and testing of the C-5 Galaxy.  I remember him saying something about helping redesign the nose gear so it wasn’t in the way of the front loading abilities.   
I remember when the first C-5 flew into Charleston AFB and it lost a few wheels on landing.  When it parked we got to go in it and Dad was showing us the huge box in the middle of the front loading ramp. He said he worked with the Lockheed engineers to eliminate it.  It housed the nose gear. 
I still have one of the C-5 Test team patches and a small Zippo lighter with the C-5 on it Lockheed gave everyone involved with the project.  
I also have a Nat Geo from ‘58 with him in it down at McMurdo station in Antarctica when they built it.  Lots of great stories we got from him.   It was kind of cool walking through the USAF Museum and him pointing out airplanes he actually spent time on.  Not the type of plane, but the actual plane.  He lit up like a kid on Christmas morning when we walked up to the C-124.  As he put it, hundreds of hours in that plane.  
The “Yeager” MIG on display?  He crated it up (after the wings were removed) and flew it back to Wright-Patterson on a C-something after the pilot defected out of North Korea. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2024 at 9:01 PM, Jeff said:

IMG_4213.jpeg

CONGRATULATIONS  to your Lieutenant  Colonel Daughter Jeff.

What a fantastic achievement  and hard work that she has put in.

May she rise to the top and be the best ever.

Her Grandfather's on both sides will be SO proud.

:wub:

And Jeff you did well bringing up a delightful patriotic daughter.

MY love to you and Cathy.

::notworthy::respect:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Maru, she certainly has worked hard for it, and it seems never ending, half day of the ceremony albeit low key and then back on the new job she has first thing Monday morning. He Commanding officer and her coworkers spoke highly of her. And yeas, you are right the grandfathers would be proud. Thanks for the kind words and thoughts. Hope all is well with you as well . Love to you too.
Jeff

19 hours ago, Fran said:

wow!!! That`s is great!! Congrats Jeff and to her!

Many thanks Fran. Really appreciate the kind words and thoughts. She worked hard for it and continues to do so.

cheers Jeff