Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya Spitfire IXc; UPDATE: 8/6/24: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya Spitfire IXc; UPDATE: 8/4/24: The Home Stretch

THE HOME STRETCH

Steady progress as I keep completing and adding the remaining parts and small assemblies. UMP Dark Dirt Panel Line Wash has been done and does a nice job of highlighting the surface details. All the tiny remain Tamiya decals have also been added.

Not shown but done, the landing gear with Barracuda resin wheels and tires, Barracuda cockpit door with crowbar, antennas - all to be added at the end of the build. 

Next up is the Tamiya X-22 clear gloss blend and seal cote, followed by the last clear cote: Alclad Semi Gloss which has been my go-to top cote for a good few years now. 

Lots of detail/brush painting to be done plus adding the remaining clear lights.

Sometime this coming week, the Spitfire should cross the finish line and roll out onto the flight line.

4oudTG.jpg

kssqik.jpg

9Lbqs9.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Chris, so very much appreciated. So far, the Tamiya Spitfire has been a pleasure to build and if I would have just gone with the kit decals from the start, there wouldn't have been any issues at all.

When I started the Spitfire, I didn't even know we were going to have a second GB this year or what it would be.  Since it looks as if the Sandbox theme is going to be the clear winner and choice, I'm all ready with the meng IAF AH-64D Saraf  . I'm chopping on the bit to get going on it.

• Like 4

Thanks John much appreciated.  Just finished air brushing on the clear gloss fill cote and will let it dry for a few days, then the Alclad Semi Gloss for the final clear.  Thanks for pointing out that the post from the top of the rudder needed to be removed - done.

• Like 2

DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Calling the Spitfire Done and in the Books.

An enjoyable build with no bumps in the road –Tamiya quality and precision, with the only issues being the AM decals; the kit decals worked just fine and I should have just used them from the start. The only roadblock was losing two parts and thank goodness incredible Tamiya Customer Service – so very much appreciated.

Yes, I know Spitfires had their flaps raised on the ground but with all of my Spitfire models displayed that way, I wanted this Spit to be a bit different, so the flaps are down and the aluminum inner surfaces were done in Tamiya LP-90 Gloss Aluminum and the upper wing indicator doors open.

Tamiya X22 Clear Gloss seal cote went on next to blend and seal both the decals and the panel line washes. Lastly, I applied Alclad ALC 311 Klear Kote Light Sheen, which is my normal practice for a good few years now. Of course, I managed to lose another small part right at the finish, the front windscreen rear view mirror and I just can’t bring myself to ask Tamiya to replace it.

aH1L7i.jpg

O9xLSk.jpg

D6BhKL.jpg

O7fLS8.jpg

eSd4Rf.jpg

• Like 9

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya Spitfire IXc; UPDATE: 8/6/24: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Thanks Hubert.

Yup, flaps down for a change. This is my sixth 32nd scale Spitfire and all have the flaps up and I wanted to have a slightly different look on this build. Even have the small top wing surface indicator doors open (what a pain) of showing the pilot that the flaps are down - just looks kind of cool and different.

• Like 2

I read your report, Officer, and against all my hopes, I realised this was a deliberate act of sabotage ! And against a war asset of His Majesty ?? !!!!

You know what the outcome to this is, don’t you ?

image.gif.35b0c2415772d4e728bfb9aa6eeb419c.gif

Hubert     :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

I read your report, Officer, and against all my hopes, I realised this was a deliberate act of sabotage ! And on a war asset of His Majesty ?? !!!!

You know what the outcome to this is, don’t you ?

image.gif.35b0c2415772d4e728bfb9aa6eeb419c.gif

Hubert     :rofl:

Hubert, Oh no, not the firing squad at dawn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Paul, very much appreciated. A thoroughly fun and enjoyable build for a change and of course, there will be more Spitfires down the road. Looking forward to the Kotare Spit MK 5 due out this fall.

Wow Peter, your Spitfire crossed the finish line fast and in beautiful fashion, as is your trademark. It´s a camo, but highly vivid and eye pleasing. Nobody would have noticed the missing rearview mirror, but now that you spoke about it... :D.

Cheers Rob

Much appreciated Rob, for your very kind words on my Spitfire build. Just a pleasure to build and I already have cleared space on the bench for the much-anticipated Kotare Mk V due out this fall. Yup, surely opened up Pandora's box about the mirror and I'll either have to scratch one or contact Tamiya Customer Service again and will insist on paying for the part plus shipping - it's only fair.

• Like 2