Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Upcoming Group Build Poll

Next Group Build  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What GB would you like?

• Sandbox ( Anything related to tropical conditions, sand, etc. )
    • Tallies ( self-explanatory )
    • Winning ! ( any Racing subject )
    • Peace on Earth ( Non Military Subject )
    • Relics ( anything manufactured before 1975 )

On 8/13/2024 at 1:57 AM, Martinnfb said:

Absolutely, I have been thinking about this big boy.

HillbillyArmor5tonCargo.jpg

Whistlers .... I think AFV Club did one ? I bought one a while ago but it go lost in the post so I never got to build it . I have a love of six wheeled vehicles ..or as my mate with a Stalwart once said .. The Joy of Six ...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

What colors do you suggest?

There is a lot on info regarding this online , Bovington painted theirs wrong in the 1960s and every other musuem/ tamiya copied assuming they knew the right colours.

Short answer TLDR is the tanks were sent to the Middle East from the UK on ships painted in the standard Khaki, and repainted at the dockside before issue in Stone ( more beige than "sand") and Naval Grey ( both in stores for the Army and Navy ) with some of the Khaki left showing ...and then went off to give Rommel a good pasting :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Good choices, both, Peter.  Interesting...

Thanks Chris

Just might build both, I'm ordering the earlier green IAF color to add to mt set of current IAF cammo colors, so I'll be ready when the GB starts.

Looks as if you John, Kev are going to have a Buddy Build inside the GB - now how about that! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Cool!! I like Red 2.  That paint job would be a nice challenge.

I like it also but not sure yet if it's MTO looks almost Eastern Front to me.;)

• Like 3

If the results are “sandbox” I have an ICM He-111 H6 North Africa waiting in the stash. Just concerned about the time period (4 months). I must admit the PT Boat (Get Wet GB) did become a bit of a chore with the deadline looming. My day to day work is all project deadline based so really do not need it for leisure time……

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

I'm also getting super excited about the Sandbox GB. Still thinking and narrowing down my choices, I'm now looking at two 1/48th scale AIF aircraft

Not released yet

6qIvAa.jpg

thQ4KH.jpg

Both aircraft cammo differ from the present day cammo in that the green is a lot darker and should be FS34258. 

Just need to see which if the Mystere is available when the GB is launched.

Great choices Peter!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KevinM said:

I like it also but not sure yet if it's MTO looks almost Eastern Front to me.;)

Completely agree.  It would stand out like a sore thumb in the desert.  But looks cool anyway.  👍

On 8/15/2024 at 2:07 PM, CANicoll said:

Completely agree.  It would stand out like a sore thumb in the desert.  But looks cool anyway.  👍

Chris it's MTO 1942/43 Jochen Prien,III and IV/JG27  Red 2  RLM79 w/linear mottling of RLM80 with RLM76 behind the hakenkrenz on the tail I might go that I also have another G2/G4 in the cabinet.:piliot:

4 hours ago, KevinM said:

Chris it's MTO 1942/43 Jochen Prien,III and IV/JG27  Red 2  RLM79 w/linear mottling of RLM80 with RLM76 behind the hakenkrenz on the tail I might go that I also have another G2/G4 in the cabinet.:piliot:

I like it!!

On 8/15/2024 at 6:06 AM, Peterpools said:

Thanks Chris

Just might build both, I'm ordering the earlier green IAF color to add to mt set of current IAF cammo colors, so I'll be ready when the GB starts.

Looks as if you John, Kev are going to have a Buddy Build inside the GB - now how about that! 

It'll be interesting!!!

• Like 1

Not that I have anything against the 109 in the Lybian desert, but there is more to « sandbox » than the WWII MTO.

May I suggest that we post inspirational pics in the next days ?

Here is my first (small) contribution …

Hubert

IMG_0425.webp

IMG_0424.webp

IMG_0426.jpeg

• Like 11