The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 Hasegawa P47D "Slick Chick"

Rick, just read this thread and found it very interesting. I do have one of each P-47D (Has/Trum), so it's nice to see how well the Hasegawa builds up. I'm sure the extra rivets makes a huge difference in alclad finish, but there is something to be said about smooth surface panels. ;) Also, love your rocket launcher tubes. I'll have to keep those in mind when I get around to mine. Well, keep up the good work. :)

Mike

• Like 1

Good Luck! Looking Great!

Thanks Jonathan!  Having fun with this one.

I love this bird! I look forward to your next updates.

Thanks and stay tuned.

Rick, just read this thread and found it very interesting. I do have one of each P-47D (Has/Trum), so it's nice to see how well the Hasegawa builds up. I'm sure the extra rivets makes a huge difference in alclad finish, but there is something to be said about smooth surface panels. ;) Also, love your rocket launcher tubes. I'll have to keep those in mind when I get around to mine. Well, keep up the good work. :)

Mike

Thanks Mike.  Riveting an entire a/c is beyond my current skill-sets.  A future endeavor.  Albeit, not any time soon.  The M10's were a complete joy to build.  Never scratch built anything to this degree before.  A great learning curve gain.

• 4 weeks later...

A little Alclad then

FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCC.jpg

image credit DoogsATX

I love Alclad, it works really well for me.  Problem is every flaw shows on a NMF.  That said a few sink marks I thought I took care of appeared.  So out with the Mr. Putty and some future sanding, priming and painting.

P47_SlickChickPaint08.jpg

Barely visible is a sink mark running along the leading edge of the landing flap also to right of gun access panel.  Sigh!

P47_SlickChickPaint09.jpg

The fin fillet is dry fitted and may have a a revisit to the paint shop.  Will reserve that action after all paint is on.

• 2 months later...

After an overall coat of Alclad Aluminum I begin working on the panels, control surfaces, etc.  I must have used about a mile of Tamiya Masking Tape.

Cowling has light coverage as this will be shot with Insignia Red. 

Panel color selection is random.  Control surfaces were specifically painted Semi Matte Aluminum.  Other Alcald colors used:  Airframe Aluminum, Dura Aluminum, Dark Aluminum, White Aluminum and Magnesium.

Next step will be Anti Glare application.  Apologizes for iPhone pics.  The SLR is on leave.  Albeit, I do like how the color of my shirt was picked up on the Alclad finish.

P47_SlickChickPaint.12.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.13.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.15.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.19.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.20.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.21.jpg

The wastegates and supercharger panel were given a shot of Pale Burt Metal for exhaust base and heat weathering.

P47_SlickChickPaint.18.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.17.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.16.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.22.jpg

• Like 2

ANTIGLARE

After some masking and black base applied, Mr Color 304 Olive Drab thinned 3:1 painted for the antiglare.  Masking tape removed from the tail shows some touch up needed on the rudder hinges.  Will most likely do this before I add the black stripe on the rudder and stabilizers, TBD.  Then the Scalloped red cowling, yikes!

P47_SlickChick.AntiGlare.03.jpg

P47_SlickChick.AntiGlare.06.jpg

P47_SlickChick.AntiGlare.01.jpg

P47_SlickChick.AntiGlare.04.jpg

Will need to clean/touch up around the hinges.  Fin Fillet dry fitted.

Jeez that's sweet. One of these days I attempt NMF.

Thanks Paul.  Not that hard.  Alclad has been good to me so far.

That's looking great! Also a good reminder that I need a shorter FlightPose stand...

Thanks Matt.  Always happy to inspire you.  :)

COWLING MASK

This will indeed be a most daunting task for me.  With copy of a line drawing from Yellow MMP's P-47 Thunderbolt, straight edge and French Curve I rendered the Scalloped Cowling art.

MaskTemplate_Port.jpg

Port side.

MaskTemplate_Starboard.jpg

Scanned then a horizontal flip for the starboard side.

Mask_FPO.jpg

Execute a FPO for test fit.  Looks good.  Now on to some cutting.

• Like 1

YOUWSER!!!!! She's 13. :lol: 

If the artwork is of your niece and she's 13, by all means, marry her. Supposedly a good American custom! ;)

article-0-015CF78800000578-471_468x589.j

You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain, too much love drives a man insane,

You broke my will, uh, uh, oh, what a thrill...

Goodnesss, gracious, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!!!

:P

• Like 3