The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 Hasegawa P47D "Slick Chick"

MORE MASKING AND PAINT

I must have used a mile of masking tape on this build and my time spent masking has surpassed actual build time.  So here we go.

Mask_FPO.jpg

Position of the art before cutting the masks.

P47_SlickChick.Nose_ID.Band_Paint.02.jpg

Cowling and scallop painted.  Results not as I hoped with mask lifting where the scalloped edge joined the straight edge.  Will attempt to clean/blend the edges.  The port side scallop will be covered with nose art.  So I will only need to focus on the starboard side.

P47_SlickChick.ID.Masking.jpg

Masks cut for ID Bands.  Using Radu Brizan's 1:32 scale ruler the 12" is for the rudder and the 15" is for the stabilizers.

P47_SlickChick.Nose_ID.Band_Paint.04.jpg

ID Bands are Tamiya NATO Black.  Fin Filet is dry fitted.  Will address the rudder lines next.

P47_SlickChick.Nose_ID.Band_Paint.03.jpg

Next will be cleaning the scallop edges, rudder lines, replace the windscreen then hit with varnish for decal prep. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

TOUCH UP ON COWL AND RUDDER

A little touch needed for the cowling and rudder.  Certainly an improvement.  I am counting on weathering will blend the offenders I could not fix.  The windscreen was replaced as well.

SlickChickDecalFinal.09.jpg

SlickChickDecalFinal.10.jpg

• Like 1

DECALS

Decals applied using Kits-World War Birds # 132028 for Perego's mount and EagleCal #107 for national insignia and stencils.  Kits-World decals went down beautifully and the carrier film almost disappeared.  EagleCal went down beautifully with no issues as well.  Both responded very well to setting solutions.

Only issue was with the national insignias as the setting solution gave me fits by leaving little deposits of "crystallized" spots.

SlickChickDecalFinal.07.jpg

SlickChickDecalFinal.08.jpg

50" national insignias for both side of lower wings.

SlickChickDecalFinal.11.jpg

SlickChickDecalFinal.13.jpg

I threw on the (almost completed) Hamilton Standard 13' prop for a test fit.  Will also finish the Curtiss Electric 13' prop so I can switch out from time to time.  I like the look of the stubby prop boss on the HS.

SlickChickDecalFinal.15.jpg

SlickChickDecalFinal.12.jpg

SlickChickDecalFinal.16.jpg

"Slick Chick" finally showed up and is all settled in and currently finishing her photo shoot.

• Like 4

Top Notch, ya ole Greek!!

dancelocale07.gif

Σας ευχαριστώ ο φίλος μου.

Love the emicolins Erik, I need a copy.

StefiesWedding_ErnieRickPop_Oopa.jpg

l to r. my brother, me and my Dad at cousin Steffie's wedding reception, circa '89 

Oopa!  This pic was taken after several ouzo toasting sessions.  Time to break some plates!

You should've see the cousins slug it out when the bouquet was tossed.  It was almost WWE/MMA epic.

• Like 3

sexy!

Just to name something I like...the different shades of red...or whatever you did to make it look this good (preshading?).

Thank you Beychevelle.  Black base primer.  Mr Color Insignia Red applied diluted 3:1, paint one panel at a time.

Looks like the decals have performed beautifully.  Love the way models come to life as the colour goes on.  Love it.  Cheers, Ralph.

Thanks Ralph.

The decal work on this drove me batty.  Glad it is all completed.

SHE CAVED AND GAVE IN

After begging, pleading, whispering sweet nothings and plenty of setting fluid, Slick Chick gave in to my charms and laid down just the way I like it.  Kudos to Kits-World for their very workable decals.

Due to the panel size on the Hasegawa kit the nose art right edge will be touching the cowling flaps.  I considered trimming the top and bottom so I could move forward and pull the nose art away from the cowling flaps.  Several test cuts on copies resulted in altering the nose art in an unacceptable way.  So, FICE.

Enjoy.

SlickChickDecalFinal.17.jpg

SlickChickDecalFinal.19.jpg

SlickChickDecalFinal.21.jpg

SlickChickDecalFinal.18.jpg

Overall gloss varnish and the weathering will begin soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WORKING HER LEGS

Been off the bench for almost a week and a half.  Phase one of landing gear finish.  Detail painting done.  Added stencils, brake lines and holding straps.  Will work 'em over with MiG wash.

Tape is holding brake line until legs are installed.

P47_SlickChick_LandingGearPaint.01.jpg

Mud Wrestling event scheduled for Tuesday.

• Like 2

Rick,

An absolute gem of a build. So much to comment on and so little space. Great skill and perseverance, thanks for sharing the journey!

Regards,

Thanks Kahunaminor

You nearly a the finish line! Looking fantastic

Ah the home stretch is in sight!  Thanks Dave.

Really totally digging the gear struts. What's with the color though? Most Jug legs were silver, no?

Also, every time I look at this thread it makes me want to pull down my Hasegawa P-47M and do Fireball. 

Many late (44-45) ETO P47's had OD legs.  Gabby's D25 had 'em.  Not sure if "Slick Chick" did.  I just like the look.

Heck yea on Fireball!

• 2 weeks later...

WEATHERING FIRST STEPS

Florys Wash applied then a filter of diluted black/brown applied.  Exhaust filter and MiG pigments on deck.

This is my first complete NMF using Alclad and I really like the difference that Flory's wash offers.

SlickChickWash.03.jpg

Before Florys.

SlickChickWash.04.jpg

Hey, I'm a P47D-26 RA with "retro/field fitted" bomb racks, compression flaps and fin fillet!

SlickChickWash.05.jpg

Wait!  I'm a P47D-25 RA with "retro/field fitted" bomb racks, compression flaps and fin fillet.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...