The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Ju88C-6 Nightfighter R4+HH.

RalphSarc

Ralph,

I had to replace one of the needles due to my clumsiness. I bent the tip when i dropped the needle by mistake during cleaning. I was able to order a new one from Paasche and had it in a couple of days.

Regards,

Wayne

My local Hobbytown USA carries three sizes of needles but the rep said that the 0.38mm needle will provided a 1-1/2" pattern all the way down to an ultra fine line for detail work. It will be here next week and I can store to experiment.

Well here goes!!! Wing weather has begun with my fingers crossed, lol!

The wing panel lines above have been highlighted with Vallejo Oiled Earth and the wing has been buffed so it appears sun bleached. The lower wing has seen no weathering. Huge difference I would say!!!

I guess if it doesn't turn out I can always re-paint and say it's a brand new Ju88C-6 coming out of the factory :-)

118F6C92-C9B1-41DA-B2CF-62C24BA3E8E0_zps

71094FD2-74F1-4506-A290-696690B923D3_zps

• Like 3

• Members

My friend Arno from Switzerland sent me this concerning German prop colors which I found interesting!

So did the Ju88C-6 have steal or wooden props??

F10B99DF-71D7-4FC5-91F7-5500A7C7DAC9_zps

Ralph, the Ju 88C had wooden propeller blades.  I've seen this information put out but I'm not sure that it's actually correct.  I have documentation on late war painting specifications and it mentions nothing about RLM 71 on wooden props.  Additionally, I've seen numerous photos that controvert this theory, the blades are obviously black-green.

• Like 2

Ralph, the Ju 88C had wooden propeller blades.  I've seen this information put out but I'm not sure that it's actually correct.  I have documentation on late war painting specifications and it mentions nothing about RLM 71 on wooden props.  Additionally, I've seen numerous photos that controvert this theory, the blades are obviously black-green.

Did they have aluminum embedded into the leading edges and did the engines rotate clock wise or counter clock wise?

Okay I'm officially a first time weathering nervous wreak, lol!! I hope this came out alright??

I asked myself all day, how would James do it, how would Arno do it, how would Cees do it,how would Mike do it, how would Wayne do it, how would Rick do it,  and on and on and on!!!

This boy is going to bed, lol!!

064D7951-AF89-4FB1-92ED-A0A105412BBE_zps

8B0EB73D-4BF1-4B4B-8B0D-973DD221EBAA_zps

6B145329-4C2B-4210-9992-B9FBEA6D0083_zps

A6AC669E-5BA3-4027-83B4-8047F5A07283_zps

B4772E88-184D-43CC-82EE-17B9BCD5800E_zps

964C6F12-6532-4FBF-8431-40232C32F528_zps

• Like 5

• Members

Did they have aluminum embedded into the leading edges and did the engines rotate clock wise or counter clock wise?

I don't believe they had an aluminum strip, photos of crashed planes with splintered props don't show any indication of it at least.  If observed from behind I believe they'd rotate CW and they both rotate in the same direction

I don't believe they had an aluminum strip, photos of crashed planes with splintered props don't show any indication of it at least.  If observed from behind I believe they'd rotate CW and they both rotate in the same direction

I wonder how I would weather the props? Chipping with aluminum wouldn't look right!!

Well entered the world of pastel weathering this week but buying two sets of Tamiya's weathering pastels.

These are fantastic to work with and after a few tips from James and a lesson in makeup application from my wife Beth I set off to finish the Ju88 weathering.

FB792423-DA6C-4A39-AEF5-2E16251D45CE_zps

CB86DC39-30E6-48C1-B399-661DC6F2B527_zps

• Like 3

Got carried away on this rainy day and spent most of it at my bench.

Started off the day by masking off and painting the white strip around the fuselage.

E14C6CAA-660B-4766-8198-F6952CAF8EC0_zps

While the white strip was drying I fashioned a folding underbelly boarding ladder using a HO train tanker car ladder. It worked out perfectly!

BD925829-D2B0-445D-AE26-8B9503BE200E_zps

96C203D9-AB7E-43EE-AA9C-BF06242964A5_zps

That complete I turned my attention to installing the fuselage decals.

23CF7DA4-86F8-4512-9D23-AC22AA8F61E5_zps

17A7A767-65A9-465B-A67F-18D7D12BBB72_zps

44AC6B66-3C44-4A3D-A12B-24EB375D333F_zps

Once that was finished and dry it was time to dull coat the fuselage with Testers Dull Coat. Started of shiny but dried a wonder dull coat. I told Arno I felt like a father in the maternity ward waiting for a birth, lol!!

D7CA651A-FFDE-4A21-9873-0E4683E066F9_zps

Then the time that I've been waiting for weeks arrived!!! I unmasked the cockpit :-)

22AEF594-AA3A-4552-B41B-F45735B865E3_zps

So here's where we're at today.

86413A5E-D04E-4D53-BD44-CD0BE356B8F5_zps

B3289C0B-0A66-49E8-822C-560BCB1CF0A3_zps

Wings tomorrow :-)

• Like 4

Great work Ralph.

There is that feeling of excitement when you unmask a canopy isn't there? 

Regards,

Kent

Like I said above I told Arno I felt like a father in the maternity ward waiting for a birth, lol!! Your right there is a certain amount of excitement unmasking a canopy and getting close to the finish line, lol!! can't wait to see the fruits of my labor in the finished post.

My sister in law has consented to taking some professional pictures for me to post once completed since James won't give me his old camera, lol!!!

• Like 1

Great work Ralph. You'll be well finished before I even think about starting!

Yea I kinda got ahead of myself but with only three more months until the end of the build I'll happily sit back and watch the professionals kick my butt, lol!! I look forward to following their builds and seeing the end results and of course learning new techniques along the way!

Arno who lives in Switzerland and I are going to "Skype" build a Revell 1/32 scale Hawker Hunter FGA9 together next. We're installing web cams above our build tables so we can share ideas etc one to one in real time over Skype. I'm really looking forward to learning his wiring, metal foil and weather techniques plus it will be loads of fun!!!

• Like 1

Ralph,

Very nice indeed!  You should be very proud of your effort to date.

Your idea of shared modelling via skype is really cool.

Cheers,

Wayne

Yea Arno and I met on the forum and became instant friends. We usually Skype Tuesday for an hour or so and decided we'd do this build together via Skype to share techniques. He's more advanced in his skill set so its a win win situation for me!

Ah Ralph ... that's sheer beauty - I love night fighters, it takes some skill to pull off that "black" colour scheme.

Grant your comment made my day!!! I'm thrilled that a modeler with your skill set would think so! 

My Ju88 build has been a labor of love and I will miss it now that its completed.

My wife Beth calls the Ju88 my right to passage, lol!!!

Well the day has final arrived!!! My Ju88C-6 build for better or worse is complete!!!

As I said to Grant above: "My Ju88 build has been a labor of love and I will miss it now that its completed. My wife Beth calls the Ju88 my right to passage, lol!!!"

Thanks again to everyone who helped me reach this skill level as I very much appreciate you advice, tip and kindn

Arno my good friend via LSM who lives in Switzerland and I are going to "Skype" build a Revell 1/32 scale Hawker Hunter FGA9 together next. We're installing web cams above our build tables so we can share ideas etc one to one in real time over Skype. I'm really looking forward to learning his wiring, metal foil and weather techniques plus it will be loads of fun!!!

Check out the Ju88C-6 in the finished builds section.

Thanks again.

Ralph.

• Like 1