The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair

So its been a couple of months since I have really posted anything, its been busy times lately... New addition to the family, being out action for a couple of weeks after putting my back out at work... And I have been really struggling with anything modelling related, let alone building anything! But a big thanks to Jim...He's been a big help behind the scenes pushing me to get this done!

I used Barracuda Engine set, Wheels and the Cockpit Placards and Eduard Harness set. Painted with Tamiya and Vallejo for the Cockpit and Mr Color Lacquers for everything else. Markings are sprayed on too. Weathered using AK, Ammo washes pigments and a couple of colour pencils.

Scheme is of Lt. Ken Walsh VMF-124, Munda, August 1943.

DSC03532.jpg

DSC03533.jpg

DSC03531.jpg

DSC03530.jpg

DSC03529.jpg

DSC03534.jpg

DSC03536.jpg

DSC03543.jpg

DSC03537.jpg

• Like 12

Welcome back Dave, was starting to wonder about you!

Sorry to hear about your back, but sounds like congratulations are in order on the new addition to your family!?! Brother, I know exactly how that can affect the time one has to devote to one's hobbies.

Love the fit and finish on your Corsair. That faded intermediate blue looks perfect to me, and the oil, exhaust and other stains make it look like it came right off of the island tarmac. Gorgeous build. Gotta get back to mine...

• Like 1

Cheers Everyone!

Geeze Dave!  You go dark for a few months and then you drop something like this on us?

Exemplary!

ahem...WIP pics?  any?   please oh! please!  :)

I have a couple of WIP that I took with my phone... I will get them uploaded shortly.

Just beautiful, and what a comeback from your loss of mojo!!  :thumbsup2:

Always fancied trying a Pacific bird. Your fading looks great.

Cheers Mate! Wasn't for you effort behind the scenes, all the parts would be still sitting in its box!

Welcome back Dave, was starting to wonder about you!

Sorry to hear about your back, but sounds like congratulations are in order on the new addition to your family!?! Brother, I know exactly how that can affect the time one has to devote to one's hobbies.

Love the fit and finish on your Corsair. That faded intermediate blue looks perfect to me, and the oil, exhaust and other stains make it look like it came right off of the island tarmac. Gorgeous build. Gotta get back to mine...

Cheers! I have been floating in and out during this time... But lacked any type of Mojo to get anything done related to modelling expect for my day time job... Back is better now... Nothing major.. Went to pick up a carton of Kits at work and my back went pop! Sprain Lubar... 10 days off work and then 14 days of very light duties!

Very nice - must have been one of the well-maintained island Corsairs!

Out of curiousity (and needing to solve this myself) what Gunze paints did you use for the Blue Gray?

The photos really don't show it, but the paint is faded and the wings have wear on them.

I used the Int Blue from the US Navy set that they produced a while back.

Dave, really really nice work, especially the exhaust stains and fuel stains in front of the cockpit. Did you add the fuel stains over your flat coat cheers Bevan

Hi Bevan,

I did most of the Fuel stains prior to the Flat coat, and then added a few more afterwards.

• Like 1