Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

a D out of a G.... HK's B-17 conversion

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 9:38 AM, GazzaS said:

Love the details, Mate!  Not being a big student of the B-17 I didn't know it had a toilet!

You learn something new every day hey!

On 8/7/2021 at 5:05 PM, Peterpools said:

Craig

Incredible work and the level of detailing is exquisite. 
Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! Definitely learning as I go :)

More in the back end. This time efforts were mainly focused around the guns.

20/8 21/3 21/3

21/3

21/3

21/3

Getting closer to closing up for good!

21/3

Cheers,

Craig

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, belugawhaleman said:

How did I miss this build? An ambitious and brilliantly executed project so far!

Thanks for sharing!

No worries at all, glad you found it! :)

On 8/24/2021 at 3:51 PM, smitty44 said:

I hadn't seen this before either . What a fantastic build. I got everything assembled to do Memphis Belle. I was actually thinking about it this morning. Hmmm....

Certainly hope you start it then :)

More work on the rear fuselage area. I've pretty much done everything I need to now before I move back to the cockpit to finish detailing there.

The all important loo roll was added beside the toilet, along with the gunner's seat, microphones and intercom and some decal lettering for a bit more detail....

28/8 28/8

28/8

28/8

28/8

Only got the waist windows to put in. These will be on the floor or cabin sides so don't need a whole lot of work, just some light polishing and framing.

28/8

Then finally back to the cockpit and nose, then not too long till I button up this beast once and for all!!!! 🥳🥳🥳

Cheers,

Craig

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Great work, mate!  Love the details.  Tell me...   where did you find the US Air Corps decals?

Thanks Gazza! I just did a google search for free USAAC stencils fonts, then imported that into word and printed (standard inket printer) them on clear decal paper, sealed with tamiya clear flat. They work really well and you can find numbers there too. I takes a bit of searching to work out the "point size" conversion to mm but it's pretty straight forward, and gives you flexibility to add specific lettering to your model. I've got white decal paper too, but have yet to play with coloured decals. Another very simple tool that anyone can use!

Craig

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 6:44 PM, Kaireckstadt said:

I‘m deeply impressed Craig! 

These close up fotos look as if they were taken of the real thing. This is beyond awesome !:respect:

Thank you Kai! Almost as good as that mirage of yours hey? 😉

On 8/30/2021 at 12:14 AM, Peterpools said:

Craig

Brilliant work as always and the added decals add just the right ouch of extra detail. Thanks for the tip on where to find lettering and stencils on line.

Just an amazing biuld to follow and enjoy

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! You should definitely try making your own if you haven't before, it's easy as! Definitely not to professional standards, but they certainly can bring little pieces to life.... Just got to try some white lettering on black backgrounds now!

Cheers,

Craig

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm back into the cockpit! 

To be fair I've been avoiding this area for a while, as when I did the reconstruction work on the nose, I kind of "painted myself into a corner" by adding the seats and roof lining probably far too early in the build. This then meant that to add the RH cockpit sidewalls, control columns and throttle levers, was as close I I'll probably ever get to building a ship in a bottle! 😱

This is an old photo, but this is the gap I had to fill with a panel, and this was the side I had to get it in from!

1/9 add

So with everything crossed and holding my breath, I not only got a piece test fitted in there to work out the right dimensions, but also managed to stick the completed piece back in, and straight at that! :) 

1/9

With that trickiness out of the way, the addition of the footrests and table seemed dead easy...

1/9 1/9

Not too much more to add to the cockpit, just the instrument panel coaming and feathering buttons and a few other bits and pieces.

Getting closer all the time!

Cheers,

Craig

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 9/3/2021 at 11:11 PM, Peterpools said:

Craig

Nothing as frustrating as realizing you painted yourself into a corner and figuring out how to resolve the problem. Nice going and the added details blended in perfectly.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! It's funny how you don't realise how much your hands shake until you do something like this 😆

On 9/4/2021 at 12:50 AM, harv said:

Indeed they did !.......harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv!

22 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

+1: great problems-solving! Love it! 

Cheers Kai, was certainly a skill tester!

A little more on the cockpit before I move back to the nose for more or less the final details in the fuselage prior to closing it up.

A prominent feature in the cockpit was the feathering controls and warning light panel which sits above the main instrument panel. A bit of fun to make, but it can be seen at the very front of the windshield so worth the effort.

4/9

And the back..

4/9

I'm working on the bombardier's control levers now and a few other bits in the nose, more pics to follow soon!

Cheers,

Craig

• Like 7