:omg:.......harv

Thanks Harv! 

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Craig

Right with Harv x2

Looking absolutely brilliant.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! I'm really stoked with how it's coming along now. Can't wait to start laying some metal panels down :) 

Craig

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And on it goes. After a seam-sanding marathon, I had all the joins pretty much smooth enough to start drawing out the panel lines on the exterior, reading for the skinning process to begin.

Here's how the skin panel diagram looks:

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.31.05 pm

The length of the panels is easy to work out, as they start and end at fuselage stations. The width of the panels is a little harder, as they're not only not straight, they also start and end a different circumferential points.....

This was an in progress photo with many mistakes I made in interpreting the above diagram....

26/9

I also permanently added the bathtub!

26/9

Some of the nose panel marking out in progress. The panels start from the bottom rear, and then work their way forward and up, with each panel overlapping the previous one. I also did some work on the tail fairings, but I'm ready to make a long awaited start on the skin panels!

26/9 26/9 26/9

Very excited to be getting to the business end of the build finally!

Craig

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Kai and Peter,

Just realized I haven't posted any pictures of the start of the skinning process. Each panel has to be traced out in masking tape, then traced again onto a reverse image to give me the rivet and panel locations. Once each rivet is "wheeled" out it is then deepened with a beading tool and finally the metal is pushed back down around the outside of each rivet to make them really sharp, and to reduce surface distortion.

29/9

29/9 2/10 2/10 2/10

Some panels can take upwards of an hour or more to make, and there's a lot of panels to cover the fuselage, but I'm really enjoying the process so hopefully I'll have more to show you soon!

Cheers,

Craig

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Gents! I realise it's been a while since I posted here, but work is progressing....

I've been working my way forward along the underside of the fuselage as that's the way the panels overlap.

I'll let the photos do the talking though shall I? ;) 

2/11

2/11 2/11

9/11

9/11

9/11

Slowly but surely she's getting some clothes on!

Thanks for looking.

Craig

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2