The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Most interesting and as others have said, a real masterclass. I suppose one thing you need to keep an eye on is whether the fabric was applied in an continuous sheet, or if it was several sheets, at which point, assuming the pattern was pre-printed before application of the material to the airframe one would have occasional mismatch lines between adjacent rolls of material.

Or were the polygons painted onto the doped fabric?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Master.

Master class.

Ya the 'master' just finished a marathon airbrush cleaning session cuz he left 2 of the camo colors in 2 diff airbrush's.

I'm also finishing off the final cleanup of the '5 color hand painted polygonal night camo'

Thanks for looking in and commenting , I should have some final pics of the camo in an hour or so.

• Like 4

So here is a more complete finish to the camo. All of the colors have been touched up and some larger polygons cut into smaller. Some polygons ended up same color together , these were easily spotted and rectified. Divots from removing the polygon masks were sprayed with a post it note with a hole poked in the middle , saving the masking of the entire shape. So as the work progressed and issues arose , pretty easy solutions were implemented. This is actually a really easy and relatively simple way to get this camo on a model.

IMG-6848.jpg

Some light staining by the tailskid:

IMG-6846.jpg

Some colors wrap around the edges, some dont:

IMG-6847.jpg

IMG-6863.jpg

IMG-6852.jpg

Whew!:

IMG-6837.jpg

I'm gonna blow on some clear , the 50/50 mix , then mask off the upper wing panels for the markings. I am intersted to see how much or little sanding will be needed to get a nice white field. This is essentially only 2 coats of paint , the first color and then one layer of the other 4 colors , I'm not anticipating a lot of sanding.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Great result Steve. Doesn't seem to have been as much work as it looked like it might be. I can't imagine that working with decals over that area is a piece of cake either, so probably  just as much work for a 'nicer' result. :unworthy:

• Like 3

Thanks GMac.

And you are right its not as hard as anticipated. Akin to armor track s or jet stencils , tedious but simple repetitive motions , and a little paint work.

One  thing I havent pointed out is that all of the printed numbers on the individual polygons are all oriented the same way - real east to get them back into position quickly .I only remember having to orient the number a few times but it all went very nicely.

Decals would need a  little more prior prep , depending on how you work.

I'm just trying to decide on top wing cross markings with a white field or without a white field ...?

I was wanting a white field but cant find pics to support.

• Like 3

Thanks Gaz

People who ignore others comments on this forum is a new thing , not the coolest response , and furthering the problem as well as showing true character.

Wasn't all fun , the first coat is seriously important:

IMG-6761.jpg

IMG-6849.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Steve, looks blooming fantastic, just had the same problem, applying decals and pushed a little to hard with a cocktail stick and bang you’re through everything, good save man.........

Thanks BC.

Its the recovery that shows the modellers strengths....or so I've been told.

And watching your Ships Camel build I can recommend the Prym for Royal Aircraft Factory stainless steel flat rigging. I used it to great effect on The Biff Piece:

IMG-4830.jpg

This took three days after 3 weeks of concentrated failure with p/e shit. Paint it stainless with acrylics. I used p/e ends , but again needless complications. There may be better stuff now.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, krow113 said:

One  thing I havent pointed out is that all of the printed numbers on the individual polygons are all oriented the same way - real east to get them back into position quickly .I only remember having to orient the number a few times but it all went very nicely.

Neat, simple idea Steve but an obvious way to help. Amazing how sometimes the simplest ideas help the most. :thumbsup2:

• Like 4

Thanks GMac.

It is an obvious way to help and when those 'helps' add up then you get a viable procedure or technique.

I never claim authenticity , as there is very little that is new in modelling. Indeed I have seen hex camo done this way with all of the hex's exactly the same. I think one of  the daunting things here was the fact that alla the shapes are different ( although a repetition is there for all to see , hee , hee )  , however this proves to be quite the opposite , the different shapes made it easier!

The biggest drawback when taken in an overview is the individual pieces have to come off and go back on. As the first color is given , and the last with no need to replace the pieces , really its only 3 times that the pieces have to be re-fitted.

And there is interest as 1000 visits here and 1000 visits on BM in a few days indicate . Some interest in a set as well privately. But certain skills will need to be in place for success.

Any way , mask customers waiting , signwork ongoing , my temperature ok:

IMG-6878.jpg

And Bubba is never shy about hinting...:

IMG-6883.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Nice bike!! Custom job??

Thanks .

2006 Harley- Davidson VRSCR Street Rod

Pretty much stock. They dont need a lot to be fast.

Working on masks for a customer in N.Z.

Concentration difficulties with the viral situation.

• Like 4

Thank you , Cmeister!

I worked out a way to alleviate the possibilty of a small line appearing arond the cross when I spray the black. You can see some 'petals' have been used after the thin white outline piece is replaced:

IMG-6888.jpg

Upper wing and tail cross' done:

IMG-6893.jpg

IMG-6894.jpg

Thanks for lookin' in.

• Like 7

Looking at the serials and fuse codes today.

I have to try and conjure up a beleivable set of codes & serials.

These should be on the fuse and sealed before it gets seated in the jig.

There is a lot of work to do on the fuse prior to jigging for final assy.

Very little to go on for pics , big surprise , records show that LVG  license built a number of G IV's .

Serials:

980 - 1029 = 49 built.

100 - 149    = 49 built.

So 98 potential numbers available. By records given in Gotha!

LVG had white outlines around the fuse serials , by a number of pics and one set of subject decals in the kit.

Tricky little thin outline on the serial , no-one said it was gonna be easy.

No work done so here is a completely non related shot from the 1500 pic A Gotha library:

IMG-4883.jpg

• Like 5

And after a bit of a slog:

serials.jpg

The aircraft is spurious so the number is of little consequence. I did up a whole font for this , just the way I do it. For an L.V.G. built Gotha decals will be required.

These will be a mask decal combo. A mask for the white outline and decals for the serial.

• Like 6