The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hawker Tempest Mk.V JN751

• Administrators

Evenin' all,

I recently started the new 1/32 Special Hobby Tempest MK.V for publication in Military Illustrated Modeller, but thought I'd post an annotated build of it here too. This one will be finished as JN751 (R- B), the mount of Wing Commander Roland Beamont. The kit itself has five different schemes, but this one is the only one that has any invasion stripes, so I really couldn't not do it ;)  The model will be entirely out of box except for a little lead wire in the wheel bays. The kit is supplied with resin and PE parts as a Hi-Tech edition, and some nice HGW seatbelts too. Check out my review of the kit HERE.

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-10%20at%2020.12.

Special Hobby did a great job of the wheel bays, with all parts being superbly detailed and offering just as much detail as that of the Tamiya Spit. My only gripe is that they ask you to build the wells into the recesses on the lower wing part. I think that could be a risky practice as those structures need to line up exactly around the edges of the detail moulded onto the ceiling detail of the upper wing panels. I opted to build the well walls on these parts instead. It also allows me to complete the wells fully (including painting) before gluing the wings together, including the various struts and wiring that I added from lead wire. Otherwise, it would've been a little trickier. 

4.jpg

1.jpg

Chin intake detail is also real nice, and here you can see a number of the parts. Note that the nose is a separate part to facilitate other versions of the Tempest kit, such as the Tempest II with Centaurus engine. Boxes inside each half aid the fitting of the exhausts. 

3.jpg

The only ejector pin marks that needed dealing with, anywhere, are two in the cockpit area. I painted some Tamiya Thin Cement over them and immediately added some Vallejo Plastic putty. This was sanded down with the use of a fibreglass pen before being finished with sanding sticks.

2.jpg

More later!

• Like 5

Bravo Jim!  I am leaning towards Cloisterman's mount sans DD stripes, no ordnance.  Just a nice clean airframe.   Going all the way with Mr Paint on this one.

You're already well ahead of my progress.  Great pointers on the wheel wells and nose halves. 

Pulled out my MDC Tiffy, placed on my bench, staring me down.  The fuselage was buttoned up this winter and I am considering riveting. before I add the wings, etc.  FYI, she will get DD stripes and a load of rockets.

Meanwhile, back to the Tempest.  I really like SH Mk.V effort on this kit.  The Mk.II is indeed in my future.

Good advice on the wheel wells, Jim! I'm wondering, would it be best to mate each nose piece to each fuselage half prior to mating the fuselage halfs together? That sort of thing usually helps me with multi-piece fuselages by Hasegawa and the likes...

I scooped this kit up at Duxford during Flying Legends at the Hannants stand. Couldn't leave it, really, as it was €15 cheaper than at the Aviation Megastore! So now I'm looking at the box-art for over a week while on holiday in the Cotswolds! Maybe I should commence with cleaning up some parts already, eh? As always, I've got my basic tools with me......

Keep up the good work, I'm interesting how this will turn out!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Good advice on the wheel wells, Jim! I'm wondering, would it be best to mate each nose piece to each fuselage half prior to mating the fuselage halfs together? That sort of thing usually helps me with multi-piece fuselages by Hasegawa and the likes...

I scooped this kit up at Duxford during Flying Legends at the Hannants stand. Couldn't leave it, really, as it was €15 cheaper than at the Aviation Megastore! So now I'm looking at the box-art for over a week while on holiday in the Cotswolds! Maybe I should commence with cleaning up some parts already, eh? As always, I've got my basic tools with me......

Keep up the good work, I'm interesting how this will turn out!

I sure did glue the nose to each fuse half first. I also found I had to shave away some of the inner joint plastic to that the nose didn't protrude beyond the fuse in places. You might also find that manipulating the nose plastic a little, is also needed. With a little bending etc. it fits nicely. 

• Like 2