The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Airfix hawker typhoon Mk.1B 1/24

Hi Darren,

I will follow closely as I have one with a heavy dose of AM in my stash. Nice work on the subassemblys. Is the armament oob or Aftermarket?
When I see your good work my fingers are itching, should I start mine, .... . No not right now, to many other started builds.
Can't wait to see your table bursting once you attach the wings :).

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wingco57 said:

Both

For the seat padding I followed airfix instructions leather! I now believe this is wrong haho..

Base coat pale cream (I used humbrol rc 424).

Then xf 64 on edges of each pad to simulate less wear.

After this is dry I used a brown varnish mix x25 gn, x27 rd. To get a brown colour, thinned with water.

This varnish must be applied quickly 2 or 3 passes, don't be tempted to keep brushing....

After dry.. apply varnish again same way if required . 

Tyres once painted up then Matt finished. Where given watercolour mix

Smudged with my fingers. Brown and black wash hubs.

Cheers Darren 

20170816_181657.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi CB, nice job on the Tiffy, everything is looking great. Love the look of the wing guns. Did you had any problems with the fitting of the fuselage parts? The complicated nose shape cries for such issues.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

The nose fit was pretty good I had to put a little filler around that whole area in places but not to much.more to tidy then fill ,just make sure you remove all seams, they push it all out of shape. 

My biggest problem was the fit of the main spares to the lower wings. Thinking I had it all straight only to realise I had a slight tilt. To get around this for a future build use the upper covers of the wheel wells to aid fit they will allow you to get it all straight. Drop them in dry to line up main spares.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Looking good!

Are those the kit gun barrels? I have this in mind to do next and was wondering about AM barrels, but those look pretty good.

Hi Gus,

They are AM eduard brassin set resin barrel,20mm and breaches , not the brass barrel version.

Eduard Brassin 624002 1/24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib guns Airfix

s-l400.jpg

I'm not terribly familiar with the innards of the Hawker fighters so the gun bay doors confused me at first, but now I know they're leather I can say they looks great!

Also, the image of the wheels. Those tyre walls are the most rubber-looking model tyres I've ever seen. Beautiful work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I'm not terribly familiar with the innards of the Hawker fighters so the gun bay doors confused me at first, but now I know they're leather I can say they looks great!

Also, the image of the wheels. Those tyre walls are the most rubber-looking model tyres I've ever seen. Beautiful work.

Thanks kiwiZac

16 hours ago, RichO said:

Very nice work!

Cheers RichO

15 hours ago, scrodes said:

That's one hell of a good start!!!

Don't forget to pick up the P/E radiator mesh that RB makes if it's not too late - worth every cent, just like the Brassin and Master upgrades.

Thanks scrodes, I did look at this, but then decided to cover her up. And the kit part was ok.

20170925_223058.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Gus, make sure that all four barrels are in the packet. I had just a single barrel in my package and had to return it for annother one. My dealer told me that there is a batch of mispacked ones around.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1