Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

how to get rid of skunk smell on dog

Martinnfb

Yeah, I couldn't sleep last night, so I decided to go for walk. All of sudden I saw the spark in her eyes, saying "look,look, a big fuzzy squirrel! Let's play"

She got two quick bursts right into the head....... silly dog.... Needless to say that our house is drenched in unpleasant odour despite my efforts to shower the heck out of her.

I check out the on-line recipes , yet don't want to turn this place to Area 51 or something either.

Have you guys ever dealt with similar issue, if so, what worked for you?

• Like 1

Pick up a couple big bottles of Coke Classic...Soak her in it. works.  It is a very oily substance and the citric acid, carbonic acid and phosphoric acid in the Coke breaks it down.

My Dog Jessie had the same thing happen,only she ran into the house and tried to rub it off in the carpet,it's how we ended up with hardwood floors.

• Like 4

Brilliant idea ! Thank You William.

Fortunately we don't have a carpeted floors and I run her into the shower stall right after we returned home. Woke up Rachael early in the morning :)

Let us hope, that there will be some fur left after I am done.:ph34r:

• Like 2

OK, so far she was washed with regular dog shampoo , then vinegar, dish soap and a coke. And the smell is still apparent, not so badly as it was at the beginning, but you would definitely question the lever of her personal hygiene. :)

Maru, my dog usually runs off leash. I take it as a part of her training, her learning experience. on the other hand, I'am glad we don't have rattlesnakes or else. :)

Cheers

M.

• Like 1

Fact: A Home Recipe to Get Rid of Skunk Odor

What has been proven to work, according to a variety of sources, is a home concoction developed by Paul Krebaum and published Chemical & Engineering News back in 1993:

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide1/4 cup baking soda1 teaspoon liquid detergent

Mix in a large, open container and use immediately. According to Statewide IPM Program, Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California, it can be safely used on people, pets, clothing, and furniture.

But the mix cannot be covered or stored because it can explode a closed container. To get rid of the leftover solution, dilute it heavily with water, and pour down the drain.

Retail Products That Work

Experts from Cornell University, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, and other universities and government agencies also recommend over-the-counter products that contain neutroleum alpha to get rid of skunk smells on pets. These products are available at many pet stores.

Getting Rid of Skunk Smells In the Home

If people or pets come into the house before being de-skunked, you may find that the smell lingers in the air. To get rid of it, boil vinegar in a pan. The home will now smell like vinegar, but once that smell is gone, the skunk odor should also be gone.

Take care. And precautions ARE order of the day when using chemicals....gloves..eye glasses... etc.

• Like 2

I did the vinegar bath, that should be the same, yes?

What Is Massengill Douche?

Acetic acid is a natural acidic substance that is normally found in vinegar.

Acetic acid vaginal (for use in the vagina) is used to increase the acidity inside the vaginal canal.

Acetic acid vaginal may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.

Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.

You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to acetic acid or vinegar.

Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to use this medicine if you have other medical conditions, especially foul-smelling vaginal discharge or other signs of a bacterial infection.

It is not known whether acetic acid vaginal will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are pregnant.

It is not known whether acetic acid vaginal passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.

Massengill Douche Side Effects

Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Stop using acetic acid vaginal and call your doctor at once if you have:

• severe burning, stinging, or irritation after using the medicine; or
  • any new symptoms.

Common side effects may include:

• mild burning or stinging after use.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I did the vinegar bath, that should be the same, yes?

What Is Massengill Douche?

Acetic acid is a natural acidic substance that is normally found in vinegar.

Acetic acid vaginal (for use in the vagina) is used to increase the acidity inside the vaginal canal.

Acetic acid vaginal may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.

Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.

You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to acetic acid or vinegar.

Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to use this medicine if you have other medical conditions, especially foul-smelling vaginal discharge or other signs of a bacterial infection.

It is not known whether acetic acid vaginal will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are pregnant.

It is not known whether acetic acid vaginal passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.

Massengill Douche Side Effects

Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Stop using acetic acid vaginal and call your doctor at once if you have:

• severe burning, stinging, or irritation after using the medicine; or
  • any new symptoms.

Common side effects may include:

• mild burning or stinging after use.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

Great!  Just great...now you tell me.:(

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Besides people pay top dollar here in California to stink up their houses like that! ( I imagine you are right about the vineagar)

No doubt Sour-pusses, the lot of 'em!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smitty44 said:

Just because they suggest for use on dogs does not mean that your dog is a va....

Well, sometimes she acts that way., as if her name was G'ina.  

OK guys , the Coke treatment is definitely a winner. Thanks to William for the lead.

• Like 4