Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Phil, it takes hours to clean and detail, for my Corvette, it usually takes 8 hours for a good clean and polish,  THEN we get into the detailing..... even a quick wash for me is at least 2 hours, and that is not a good job....... but car guys get it , and yeah, I hear you pain on the car show judging...... some of those guys are way over the top..... but you should still show your car a local shows, it's a great place to meet all sorts of good folks....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

...now have a MX5 RF MK IV (Miata) to you guys........

Nice!

In a perfect world, that would be my next car. The major hurdle is no room for the Dogs inside! A Kid at work runs a stripped down NA model, and it's such a fun little thing to toot along in. 

My current Mazda 3 has performed faultless over the last 7 years, but I just can't warm to the styling of the new model on the way. Plus the prices are going up, bridging the gap to the MX5, and they've kept the old 114kw motor until the Sky active X comes in later in the year. 

Anyone know if there's a Dickie seat conversion for the ND?

• Like 3

Ok, this seems to be the right place to ask.............and I'm sure I have asked before, BUT...................... have you, Martin or anyone else have had their vehicles, "ceramic coated", on the paint? I'm seriously thinking of doing this on my new ride, but need to know if any one has, what brand of coating did you use? There are lots out there, and I have a local professional detail guy who does phenomenal work, do it for me..... and not for the usual $1300.00... a LOT less than that......... I just need to hear about what you other guys may have used.......... don't be shy, you can tell me......

• Like 2

Ryan, I'm not sure it is completely Bovine Excrement or not, I'm trying to do some research on it to make damn sure I'm getting the right information, I have to be real careful about ALL the Bovine Excrement on the internet, and lots of magical claims..... my friend who is a professional detail-er, who has the shop said it is a good thing to do for sure..... just not sure which one to get into.....

• Like 2

Here is the thing though if it is spray applied, how is everything masked?

I want to say I bought a GMC Sierra that had what they called "Diamond Coat"...I assume this is the same stuff. Even though applied, it allowed polish scratches etc....

I'm very skeptical of many things and most fall into the bullshit category. :)

Being in Florida, I would love a product that will allow lovebug splat to remain longer than overnite and not damage the paint. Certain times a year I wipe my car down every day to avoid this...people laugh, but hey I have no bug damage.

• Like 3

Yeah , I hear you on that Ryan, and agree..... it is my belief, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but I was always under the impression Diamond Coat was something totally different, more like another 'clear coat' if you will........ I stand to be corrected , and for the ceramic coating, no masking is needed,as it is good for all surfaces............... again please someone correct me....I'm a bit skeptical as well, and it is for that reason I'm asking and throwing the questions out there, I sure would like to know what if anything everyone is using.... I'm a huge Meguiares  fan, and have had extremely good success with their products, and yes they make a ceramic wax, $15.00 in the USA and $46.00 up here on the back side of Mars, also known as Canada....... if anyone has any other good ideas, I'm all in...... I just may go the Meguiares way.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Jeff, I can ask my buddy, he was doing that for living. I will get back to you asap.

Thanks Martin, that's what good buddies are for, I'm all ears on this one..... too much stuff on the net to be of use , way too many opinions and sales pitches..... it would be good to learn from someone who has experience with this....... thanks eh, Bud !

• Like 2

Ceramic coating is good stuff.  It’s not snake oil.   I use a spray on surface protectant that works like a ceramic coating, but its temporary.  Give HydroSilex a try, but don’t use anything until your paint has had plenty of time to cure.  Consult with your painter.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Ceramic coating is good stuff.  It’s not snake oil.   I use a spray on surface protectant that works like a ceramic coating, but its temporary.  Give HydroSilex a try, but don’t use anything until your paint has had plenty of time to cure.  Consult with your painter.  

thanks Scott, my particular ride that I am thinking about will be new, so I would think it should be ok, but who knows eh?  LOL

• Like 1

Usually new cars have baked on paint to speed up the cure. But the application shop will know what's best.  Processes for application are getting easier than the original coatings that came out originally.  One application was actually applied, then lit on fire!  It was an instant blue flame that ran across the surface and went out as quick as it lit. 

My son is getting into a side detailing business doing paint corrections and he is looking into taking the classes on applying ceramic coating. I do know that if not done right, it has to be sanded off with something like 1500 grit sandpaper and then the surface buffed and reapplied. 

As with any new car finish, it really does need an extra deep cleaning, especially if it was delivered via rail car.  The iron deposits that get on a cars finish from sitting outside at a manufacturers plant (sometimes sit for up to a month or longer) and then spend days traveling by rail car are amazing.  They have a cleaner that turns purple when it hits these iron deposits.  Check out some of the YouTube videos of iron cleaners.

My automotive detail cart in my garage is as full as my toolbox of model building paints and supplies!

• Like 3

Thanks Scott, yeah, I sure do know about the iron deposits, living in BC  our snow plow trucks have steel and carbide cutting edges, and they wear out lots, and as a usual thing I have to clay my truck every spring to get it cleaned up so I'm no stranger to that for sure, and yeah she is on the rails right now as we speak, so that's another consideration and , I , like you have probably enough top line car detailing stuff to start a small store.... I definitely hear you there..... this is all good though, the more information shared here the more informed a guy can be to make a good solid decision..... I do know that ceramic coating is not he be all end all and it isn't the magic elixir, but if I can get some stronger protection from scratches and swirls, I'd be happy.....wither will kick this paint even under the most careful of snow removal etc..... my goal is to keep this ride looking as good as I can for as long as I can...

• Like 1

So, this our conversation.

Is ceramic coating worth the money?

It can be, if properly done by a certified shop and good quality coating, then yes. I'd recommend  IGL I did process when I tried cutting through ceramic coating on different panels with 4/5 types of ceramic coating. IGL was the toughest and most robust.

Would you put it on your car?

Being that mine is white and I really enjoy detailing?, No. I would rather spend money on modifications. If it was any another colour and I had the funds for it, Yes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Ordered these GT350 hubcaps from Ford ,  to complement the wheels.

GUPP2357.thumb.jpg.04d4d3be9a3e24ec74d433a9d13ed5e3.jpg

I was adding air to my tires last week and noticed the pony in each center cap was popped out a little.  Good to see options on these. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Trying to stick with the classic look right ? :)

Hub-cap-Ford-Made-in-USA-W-on-wooden-spo

You're gonna put WOODEN wheels back on the MUSTANG !!!???  Now THAT IS the classic look .............. you will turn heads at the car show with those, buddy !!!:hsmack::rofl:

• Like 1