The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Actually it's RAAF-18 :D

They had new Super Bugs on order but cancelled the order over Boeing objecting to them selling the C-Series to Delta.

What a stupid joke. Both the Canadian Government and Boeing.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

That makes me wonder, what are options for CF-18 replacement ?  Smiles and hugs for the people's kind ? :) 

USED F/A 18's................................ Carl is right...........................I was always told to be wary of "used" vehicles.........  they are selling them for a REASON........................

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Actually it's RAAF-18 :D

They're older airframes, but have had very little use. And as they're neither powered by Wind, Solar nor their own sense of moral righteousness, there's no use for them here once the new Government gets sworn in next month.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wumm said:

They're older airframes, but have had very little use. And as they're neither powered by Wind, Solar nor their own sense of moral righteousness, there's no use for them here once the new Government gets sworn in next month.

Kinda like a 'Barn Find"???;)

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Kinda like a 'Barn Find"???;)

Restorer's dream...

Very rarely driven, occasional Overseas Deployment with only limited Strikes and the odd smattering of Collateral Damage. Mostly used on weekends, usually over a local Fete or a Formula 1 race.

IMG_20190503_092100.thumb.jpg.f87ac4be58cff0025b361d632f71a6bd.jpg

• Like 5

I guess the current government realized that they cannot exclude F-35 if they want to have an open competition. If I am not mistaken the end of May 2019 was established as the official start of the competition. 

Federal election is coming up in October and it looks even grimmer that the last one  in the US.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I guess the current government realized that they cannot exclude F-35 if they want to have an open competition. If I am not mistaken the end of May 2019 was established as the official start of the competition. 

Federal election is coming up in October and it looks even grimmer that the last one  in the US.

Boeing

Lockheed Martin

Airbus

Dassult

SAAB

Fortunately with the Navy's retirement of the legacy Hornet there are a lot more spare parts down here. I talked with a Superhornet pilot at length at Travis airshow, and he loved those old school bugs. Said he was at a Boeing plant just recently and they were actually making new wings for them! I have a huge soft spot for them as well.

Image may contain: sky, airplane and outdoor

• Like 5

• Administrators

Well, the Legacy Hornet is a proven design that’s still extremely relevant. Canada uses theirs for bombing nasty folks back into the Stone Age, so they’ll work just fine.  Plus they need some o pull alert duty for NORAD.

What ever happened to that bunch of fully Westernized Luftwaffe MiG-29s?  They spent a fortune turning them into some very potent NATO birds, then promptly dumped them all for F-16s. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
Just now, smitty44 said:

Correct, just read that.

Interesting. You’d think they’d still be extremely relevant in the real world.

USAF and Luftwaffe pilots describe a world class dogfighter that, with Western avionics, Radar, fire control, etc, would be a force to be reckoned with.   Of course, that was 10 years ago and the day of the dogfighter is long gone

• Like 3

• Administrators

So, really in NATO only Canada and the USA are flying F-18s? Or is Spain still?

I still feel Canada needs a twin jet for Canadian interceptor ops. One engine doesn’t cut it 1800miles out over the empty arctic.  That’s my one beef against the 16, Gripen, and 35.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clunkmeister said:

Interesting. You’d think they’d still be extremely relevant in the real world.

USAF and Luftwaffe pilots describe a world class dogfighter that, with Western avionics, Radar, fire control, etc, would be a force to be reckoned with.   Of course, that was 10 years ago and the day of the dogfighter is long gone

Gobble up fuel like there is no tomorrow, no refueling probes.

• Like 3