The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fokker pair

Hi all,
To enhance the engine detail I replaced the engines pre-molded locking rings for the fuel inlet manifold with the ‘Taurus Models’ engine intake manifold nuts (3211).

lockrings.jpg

manifold.jpg

The kit does not have spark plugs to fit to the six cylinders (two per cylinder), however the cylinders do have a pre-molded location hole for the spark plugs.
The plugs to be used are from the ‘Taurus Models’ engine spark plugs (late type) (3204) set.

plugs.jpg

Mike

• Like 5

Hi all,
I decided not to use the 'Taurus' spark plugs after all as although they are good, attaching the ignition leads to the tiny end of the plug was difficult to do without leaving it looking unrealistic.
Instead I've made the spark plugs from 0.8 mm and 0.4 mm diameter 'Albion Alloys' brass tube with a 0.31" aluminium nut from 'RB Motion'.
This way the fine lead wire I use to represent the ignition lead can locate inside the 0.2 mm bore of the 0.4 mm tube.

sparkplug.jpg

Mike

• Like 6

Hi all,
The engine is progressing although there's a way to go yet, not including application of the weathering effects:
Cylinder fuel primers
Fuel manifold and locking rings
Coolant pipes
Ignition leads
Oil filler pipes
Exhaust

The oil sight glasses were made by dropping PVA adhesive into the holes - it dries clear (good for making windows etc).

Mike

engcomp1.jpg

engcomp2.jpg

• Like 6

This engine is the test bed for the second Fokker D.VII and will be more or less covered by the forward fuselage panels.
The next engine will be visible when I build the second aircraft, which will have the internal structure and engine etc totally exposed
I know it seems senseless to cover the detail on this engine, but at least I know it's there,

Mike

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandbagger said:

Hi all,
Well the engine is done.
There are details I've not added as this model will have the engine fully enclosed.
The second Fokker D.VII will have more detail as its engine will be fully exposed,

Mike

engdone1.jpg

Holy hell!  How can there possibly be more details??? 

• Like 3

Thanks.

Normally I would add control rods or cables to things like the carburettor, magnetos, tachometer drive, machine gun synchronisation etc.

But not on this engine as it'll be mostly covered by the fuselage panels.

The accompanying model will be detailed,

Mike 

• Like 2

Hi all,
A few more bits done.
'Properplane' Heine propeller treated with 'Tamiya' Clear Orange then Hull Red. Weathered with 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Set B (Rust) and 'AK Interactive' Kerosene wash.
'GasPatch' Spandau 08/15 extended handle guns with 'Alclad' Gun metal, then Steel. Weathered with  'AK Interactive' Kerosene wash and 'Tamiya' Rubber Black.
Figures assembled and primed for painting - Anthony Fokker ('Aviattic'), Photographer and camera ('Black Dog').

Mike

propdone.jpg

gun4.jpg

camera.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all,
I've applied the 'Aviattic' linen effect lozenge to the first Fokker D.VII now.
Under the decals, although it's difficult to see in the shots, is pre-shading.
I've yet to apply the kit decals and weather it all in,

Mike

lozover.jpg

lozunder.jpg

• Like 6