Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Renault Char B1 - French heavy Hitter

Thank you guys,

20 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Do you use any of those fixer coats after you've applied them?

Sometimes I did, sometimes I don't ;). For example on my recent P-47 Dottie Mae build I used steel pigments from Uschi for the wheel struts. These pigments are among the finest (grain and quality) and after rubbing them to shine thoroughly they adhere well. A coat of Future didn't change the appearance of the pigments at all.

On other occasions I applied no protective coating, specially, if I wanted to achieve a grainy surface like on heavily burnt metal. Pigments which are not perfectly rubbed onto the material will alter with protective coatings.
Here is an example of non protected pigments on an old built of mine.
https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/5256-take-a-brake-leak-t-55-enigma-mb-220/ 

I'm not entirely decided on 'mudding' the Char heavily, but if I do, I will use pigment fixer to protect the result, but I have to account for a little darkening effect of the fixer.

I can't really comment on durability, as I normal loose interest in a build after finishing, but the above mentioned T-55 is still ok after some years and others are as well.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Tres Bon, Monsieur!  L'arrière de votre véhicule blindé est vraiment excellent! Continue à travailler dur!

You got me again on languages :D, French and Russian are not my strong side, but I will sure do something about the rest of the Char. Next will be chipping and a little dry mudding.
I will choose my next subject on the country of origin to reduce the need of translators ;)

Cheers Rob

Just now, DocRob said:

You got me again on languages :D, French and Russian are not my strong side, but I will sure do something about the rest of the Char. Next will be chipping and a little dry mudding.
I will choose my next subject on the country of origin to reduce the need of translators ;)

Cheers Rob

Heh...  I didn't get you.  It was google translate.  When I jokingly called the missus "mon petit cheval"...  she wasn't impressed.  My French only extends as far as Napoleon's soldiers.  Other than that...  please...  thank you...  and a few words from an ELO song....   which I dare not try to spell on my own!

Gaz

Hehe, my French is good enough not to need a translator for understanding the meaning of what you said to your wife. Mine wouldn't have been impressed either, might even give me a horse kiss (German expression for a bruise).

Having some thousand Vinyls in my shelves, there is no ELO among them. pity, your words will be hidden to me for all times :icon_eek:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Back to work after some linguistic excursions :D.

I decided, that before chipping I will do an extra round of what I call emphasizing. In fact it is a process opposite to a wash, highlighting risen details with a slightly lighter shade of the base Colours. It enhances the 3D effect and I like the result on armor, but it is time consuming and test for the eye, because it's applied by brush.
Man, this tank has rivets :icon_eek:.

Cheers Rob

P1140930.thumb.JPG.bf0cb8acc5c4303ddcc66909ce6e4073.JPG

P1140934.thumb.JPG.cb8a8ad6c3bf3676d02f66fb5bcaa1cb.JPG

P1140936.thumb.JPG.0065f223665fd6ccc4dd7fe93dbf4bb4.JPG

P1140937.thumb.JPG.22d1bd00f32e8a4be43a059837175737.JPG

• Like 6

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

The added brushwork adds much needed depth and looks great!  Gonna put a figure with it?

Thanks Gaz, actually I'm thinking about a dio with these figures, but that might change. They are from the Miniart French tanker set except the guy sitting in the turret hatch, who was provided with the kit. I really like the leather jackets of those tankers, might be an interesting subject to look for.

Cheers Rob

P1140903.thumb.JPG.70c0b0b44450bdc5e228c53208a6ce94.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kais said:

Curiousity or reference, you might find these helpful.

Thanks Kais, these videos are great. Because of the very different layout of the tank compared to others, an interior including version would be interesting.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:02 AM, GazzaS said:

file.php?id=7642

FUBAR

That happens when you hit the bollards bordering the pedestrian zone :D, inner city parking problems can be a nightmare.

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Looking great Rob:unworthy:

Thanks Martin, they use strange words these French sometimes, but we Germans do as well :secret:

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

Buenos Dias Senhores,

after some more weathering I decided to add the tracks, to weather them to a fitting state.

The Char got a two tone brush chipping and got treated with different types of pigment. Steel pigments for heavy abrasion and a filtering layer of light earth pigments all over. With some enamel mud wash with dabbed in earth pigments I created some mud caking and decided against wet mud specks, because I will show the beast parked on a street.

Some more grease stains and grime will be added later, after everything dried and evaluated.

BTW, does anybody know, if the headlight should be, typically French, yellow?

Cheers Rob

P1140945.thumb.JPG.2bf873cf10471b21719604f0744452c3.JPG

P1140949.thumb.JPG.0a777676330cb2a160e9ca8fcd6e4982.JPG

P1140951.thumb.JPG.19796ffacb2ba00ae181458cb1416e87.JPG

P1140952.thumb.JPG.57d0e7e1352880c59e2de27d8e99f774.JPG

P1140953.thumb.JPG.eed6c52898e2462d33a6c90734e6deda.JPG

P1140955.thumb.JPG.973ec7ff2abf686d35e46924d6c2e1d3.JPG

P1140956.thumb.JPG.c2503c9a5b5daf26976ca667120ed259.JPG 

• Like 4

Yellow-tinged headlights for vehicles were the norm in France until the late 90s, where EEC regulations introduced the possibilty of whiete headlights.

Yellow gives a less luminous vision than white, but the human eye gets a better perception of relief with it ...

I have no definite knowledge for the B-1, but clear memories of M-47s and AMX-30s in my father’s regiment with yellow headlights.

Hubert

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

That looks very cool!  Can't help with the headlight.

Thanks Gaz, the design of that tank is unique, somewhere between WW1 and WW2, combined with the visual attitude of being a moving fortress. To me the subject itself has to pull a trigger in me, historical and technical reasons are second thoughts. And this French Char, combined with their appealing and varying camo schemes, does that. I still think of building another one and do a steam punk conversion.

2 hours ago, HubertB said:

Yellow-tinged headlights for vehicles were the norm in France until the late 90s, where EEC regulations introduced the possibilty of whiete headlights.

Yellow gives a less luminous vision than white, but the human eye gets a better perception of relief with it ...

I have no definite knowledge for the B-1, but clear memories of M-47s and AMX-30s in my father’s regiment with yellow headlights.

Hubert

Thanks Hubert, I always loved the yellow tinted headlights of French cars when I was young. I owned a R-20 with yellow headlights when I was a student in West Berlin and albeit it's not a beauty, I somehow liked the car. I can't remember the Colour of the headlights of the French garrisons tanks in Berlin, pity, I was more used to the view of American M-48 and M-60 tanks, as I lived in the American Sector.

Correctness or not, I will use some clear yellow to give the Char a French touch.

Cheers Rob