The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

OS2U Kingfisher by Kitty Hawk

On 9/10/2019 at 12:39 PM, Bomber_County said:

Carl, almost wants me to build one. Only trouble what’s taken you 2 weeks tops would six months for me.......looking good.....

Phil, I'm definitely enjoying the build process. One way to look at it is you'd be good for six months. That's a decent ratio of smile per hour. 

Hopefully

On 9/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, DocRob said:

You are definitely firing up the 'want one' urge with your great build. I love the Kingfisher and am tempted not for the first time.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob! I'm actually considering getting another one. But I need to finish this one first. 

• Like 3

Normally I don't bother to paint the insides of my canopies but I decided to on the Kingfisher as it's so big and open. I started by masking off the vertical frames and painting those first. 

IMG_20190916_212043-L.jpg

IMG_20190918_214759-L.jpg

Then I unmask them and do the horizontal ones. 

IMG_20190918_201801-L.jpg

When it comes time to do the outer frames, I'll still spray a dull dark green base coat before the blue just to be sure.

I also worked on my replacement engine mount/cradle attachment.

IMG_20190918_215320-L.jpg

I also did a test fit of the canopies and they're a good fit. 

• Like 6

Ok, time to mount the engine and cowling. I mounted the upper three cowl panels to the cowl ring. I left the lower one off until I had the cowling in place as it needed to clear the exhaust pipes.

IMG_20190921_155126-L.jpg

Then the engine was mounted.

MVIMG_20190921_155232-L.jpg

I then slipped the cowl over the engine and glued it in place.

IMG_20190921_155326-L.jpg

Finally the lower panel went on along with some tape to hold everything in alignment while the glue dried.

IMG_20190921_155849-L.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrators

Carl, it's looking great.  I've always called Kitty hawk kits "thinking man's" kits. You definitely need to stop and determine which way to proceed, but once you do, it assembles great.   You're knocking this one out of the park, man.  I'm LOVING IT!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Carl, it's looking great.  I've always called Kitty hawk kits "thinking man's" kits. You definitely need to stop and determine which way to proceed, but once you do, it assembles great.   You're knocking this one out of the park, man.  I'm LOVING IT!

Thanks Ernie!

One definitely can't just plow through the kit that's for sure. It did catch me off guard a bit initially but it's been fine once I figured that out. 

Time for some unconventional fuselage painting. With the large canopies and some fairly fragile cockpit details I decided to mask and paint around the cockpit openings in tow steps. 

First I masked off the vertical sections. They're not perfectly sealed against the vertical sections intentionally as I didn't want to pull off any detail bits when I removed the tape. 

IMG_20190922_175903-L.jpg

Then I airbrushed at an angle to keep overspray from going into the cockpit.

IMG_20190922_180930-L.jpg

IMG_20190922_180938-L.jpg

• Like 2

Unfortunately I forget to get some pics of where I masked off for the horizontal section of the cockpit openings but those were next. I left them in place and then did the intermediate blue as well.

IMG_20190924_213555-L.jpg

IMG_20190924_213618-L.jpg

I then did a dry fit of the wings to see how it looked. 

IMG_20190924_213650-L.jpg

Comparing it to my reference pic, I need to bring the intermediate blue down the sides a bit more aft of the wings. 

• Like 2