The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

OS2U Kingfisher by Kitty Hawk

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Good o see you back at this, Carl!  

Looking dood so far.

Thanks Ernie! I've been wanting to get back at it for a while now but decided to try and finish something already on the bench before starting up again.

• Like 5

Dropped the boys off for their first day of school and then spent a bit of time at the bench. 

Got the engine cradle put together.

IMG_20190902_172329-L.jpg

As John and Ernie have mentioned, it may be more of a hindrance to getting everything aligned. But seeing as I'm missing the back part of the engine that mounts to the cradle, that concern might be moot.

Here's the front side with the IP in place.

IMG_20190902_210340-L.jpg

Next up was the observer's station.  

IMG_20190902_210349-L.jpg

IMG_20190902_210358-L.jpg

This isn't done by far. There's a surprising amount of detail to add still. One thing I changed is I moved the observer's joystick to the stored position on the floor.

IMG_20190902_210419-L.jpg

Finally I added seatbelts to the pilot's seat. The kit doesn't come with shoulder belts but these were added later on during their service. I used some leftover belts from a Tamiya Corsair as I couldn't find any specific ones for the Kingfisher. 

• Like 3

Got some more details done tonight. In the cockpit, it was the side panels and throttles that. They're a mix of kit and Eduard bits. 

IMG_20190905_230432-L.jpg

For the observer's station, I added the flares and other details.

IMG_20190905_230439-L.jpg

The other side:

IMG_20190905_230459-L.jpg

IMG_20190905_230506-L.jpg

Ernie, would the observer have shoulder belts as well? I've only done the lap ones as I can tell where shoulder belts would go I'd they had them. 

IMG_20190905_230523-L.jpg

That's it for tonight. Still some more to go before I can close the fuselage up.

• Like 2

Ok, finally took the first steps towards closing up the fuselage. The pilot's seat is in along with the observer's station.

IMG_20190907_204752-L.jpg

IMG_20190907_204757-L.jpg

IMG_20190907_204805-L.jpg

IMG_20190907_204830-L.jpg

Then I added the IP/firewall assembly.

IMG_20190907_205010-L.jpg

The observer's gun is giving me fits so I figure I'll get the fuselage closed up and then deal with it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

So, you seem to be going well with the build, does this mean that “Doogs” review was unwarranted? 

I've been seeing a few of these get built recently, so I'm guessing they aren't as rough as he said. Not that they aren't fiddly, but they seem doable. Like Special Hobby's Tempest, which many people have griped about but there is one guy who has managed to build about a dozen of the damn things in record time.

I have both and will build them once I clear my 'in-progress' kits off the bench.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

So, you seem to be going well with the build, does this mean that “Doogs” review was unwarranted? 

2 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

I've been seeing a few of these get built recently, so I'm guessing they aren't as rough as he said. Not that they aren't fiddly, but they seem doable. Like Special Hobby's Tempest, which many people have griped about but there is one guy who has managed to build about a dozen of the damn things in record time.

I have both and will build them once I clear my 'in-progress' kits off the bench.

I never read Doog's review so I can't compare to his experiences. I did get tips and advice up front from Ernie and John who both built the kit. The kit can be fiddly but if you test fit things, it seems to be ok. So far I've got very little filler on it but I haven't joined the fuselage halves together permanently yet so we'll see. I am impressed by the detail that they've included that's for sure. 

• Like 1

Ok, the fuselage is closed up now. 

IMG_20190908_192906-L.jpg

Overall, I ended up with a small gap in front of the IP. Which would have fine but the cowl flaps are a bit in the way. 

IMG_20190908_192925-L.jpg

The underside had an odd step on one fuselage half. I sanded it down and everything was fine.

IMG_20190908_192856-L.jpg

Here's the observer's station. I'm still working on the MG.

IMG_20190908_192933-L.jpg

• Like 1