The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Belcher Bits 1/32 RCAF Lanc decals

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

So, a few months ago, I announced here that I was going to use the beautiful HK Lancaster kit build RCAF Lancaster Mk.X FM104 as she appeared in her last paint scheme, circa 1961 or so. 

The biggest stumbling block was going to be finding the correct markings for the aircraft. Now, the lightning stripe and lettering would be no issue, as I can mask those, but finding the correct roundels with not only the correct sizes but also the correct style maple leafs was going to be a concern. Plus, the Red Ensign flags on the fins would be a very serious problem.

So I approached Mike Belcher of Belcher’s Bits to inquire about the possibility of him scaling up his 1/48 scale decal set to 1/32, to fit the new crop of large scale Lancs.  Mr. Belcher immediately offered to scale up the drawings to 1/32 and pass me the files so I could print masks.

But I guess that more than just myself ended up asking, because within a week or two, he had decided to produce these in actual decals. 

This set is absolutely flawless, folks. You are given a set that allows you to produce three wartime Mk.Xs, plus two postwar rescue birds. But FM104 is not one of them, so Mr. Belcher actually took the time to make me a set of FM104 markings so I can finish my build.

This type of incredible personal service is incredible these days. I know Mr. Belcher is an extremely busy man, and to just go out and do he lettering for -104 as a one off is way, way, way beyond my wildest dreams or expectations. He offered files for masks. We got decal sheets.

Buy these, folks. Buy from Belcher Bits often. His line of decals and resin is second to none.  

I promised him that barring a major calamity, my Lanc will be at the Nats this year, and we’ll do some pics for his website. Or, Joy will do the pics because my crappy pictures ability is legendary.

Check out the following pics, folks.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Included schemes are  

1. KB889,  VR Z, Ruhr Express, the very first Mk.X built. 

2. KB736,  VR A, the aircraft Andrew Mynarski crewed when he was awarded the Victoria Cross. This is the scheme the CWH Lancaster flies in. Just note that KB736 carried the British Nash turret, but the CWH Lanc is a later Mk.X with the Martin turret.

3. KB732,  VR X,  Xterminator. The first Mk.X to shoot down a German fighter. 

4. Postwar Lanc KB889, which whas shipped to Britain, rerstored to wartime colors, and is now on display at Duxford.

5. Postwar Lanc FM213, which is the CWH Lanc as she flew in her final RCAF scheme. 

So you have five choices, and with a bit of ingenuity, you can do many, many more.  The nice thing about this set is that all three wartime offerings can be built using the box stock HK Lancaster kit. They all have side windows, and all are pre-Martin turret production. The two postwar options will take a bit more work, but many of the parts needed for the conversion are included in the kit. The others may possibly be offered in resin in the future.

This set was badly needed, and now that it’s here, I hope we’ll see some great Lancs in display cases and on contest tables.

05B5AD07-AAFE-4BB5-9D42-B3C5224AFA86.jpeg

1D8AB2A8-4B86-41FD-8136-CDB29411FC42.jpeg

• Like 5

Ernie................. I KNEW Mike would come through for you AND I also KNEW you wouldn't be disappointed............... I have a number of Mike's decal sets and a helicopter conversion in my stash, and have used his decals, they work perfectly, and yea he is a good guy and a real honest guy to deal with, I have occasionally bought from him even though I don't 'need' anything really, but more to support him...... I am SO glad you are a happy boy... congrats on a purchase well bought.

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Ernie................. I KNEW Mike would come through for you AND I also KNEW you wouldn't be disappointed............... I have a number of Mike's decal sets and a helicopter conversion in my stash, and have used his decals, they work perfectly, and yea he is a good guy and a real honest guy to deal with, I have occasionally bought from him even though I don't 'need' anything really, but more to support him...... I am SO glad you are a happy boy... congrats on a purchase well bought.

Agreed, Jeff. After talking to Mike, this almost took on a life of it's own. He was extremely Gung-Ho, as any Red Blooded Canadian would be, and it's my sincere hope that this set allows others to try Mike's decals and build some uniquely Canadian Lancasters.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Agreed, Jeff. After talking to Mike, this almost took on a life of it's own. He was extremely Gung-Ho, as any Red Blooded Canadian would be, and it's my sincere hope that this set allows others to try Mike's decals and build some uniquely Canadian Lancasters.

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

And I will say that his 1/32 CF-5 conversion set is stellar!

so is his Bell 412 set................ I WISH he would re-issue his CT114 again although 1/48 scale I heard it was awesome.....

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

I find the lack of 1/32 CF-105 decals utterly disturbing. 

But not quite as disturbing as the sheer lack of a 1/32 CF-105 per se... 

All I can say is that a up to date solif CF-100 and CF-105 in 48 or 32 would sell like crazy around here. In TEXAS.

• Like 5

I've got one of those (2nd edition) Hobbycrap monsters somewhere sitting in a box...along with all three Mastercasters sets.
Had to wrestle them out of Jay's pockets. Literally... :lol:

MASSIVE. Even in 48th scale.

Monogram Doggo for scale:
E8747GS.jpg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

All I can say is that a up to date solif CF-100 and CF-105 in 48 or 32 would sell like crazy around here. In TEXAS.

And I know a certain place of Portugal as well, where they would sell ...

Hubert

• Like 5

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Nobody likes Mugs anymore  ?:( 

Wait, I know somebody in Portugal with a decent 3D printer that can definitely cover decent size delta-wing ...... :)

Fixed it for you, Martin.  :)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Nobody likes Migs anymore  ?:( 

Wait, I know somebody in Portugal with a decent 3D printer that can definitely cover decent size delta-wing ...... :)

I certainly could print things like wheels, landing gears, ejection seats, etc...

The rest is just a bunch of flat slabs of plastic ;) 

Hubert

PS: and, sorry, I could not care less about Migs ...

• Like 4

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

I've got one of those (2nd edition) Hobbycrap monsters somewhere sitting in a box...along with all three Mastercasters sets.
Had to wrestle them out of Jay's pockets. Literally... :lol:

MASSIVE. Even in 48th scale.

Monogram Doggo for scale:
E8747GS.jpg

I have that same 1/48 Hobbycrap monster. I've been waiting and praying for the Mastercasters sets to come out so I could do my build....

The shape is actually spreety decent, but the interior, wheel bays, and gear leaves much to be desired.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

I have that same 1/48 Hobbycrap monster. I've been waiting and praying for the Mastercasters sets to come out so I could do my build....

The shape is actually spreety decent, but the interior, wheel bays, and gear leaves much to be desired.

I've got the very first run of Mastercasters goodies - cockpit set, nozzles/intakes and undercarriage set. Typical cottage-style, but still a vast improvement over the kit plastic. The 1st-run undercarriage set is virtually useless - far too weak "as is". But you're right, the basic kit is a great canvas just waiting to be filled with life and loads of TLC.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

414A7B54-2440-494D-B8CB-427424FF445C.jpeg

I really love the subtle irregularities. Great attention to detail, in fact.

A couple of years ago, I watched a vintage Pathé newsreel featuring the bomber production in the UK during WW2. One of my personal highlights was a worker, most likely a sign painter in his civilian life, painting the fuselage roundels of a Lanc or Wellington freehand.
No masks whatsoever, only chalk lines.

• Like 4

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

I've got the very first run of Mastercasters goodies - cockpit set, nozzles/intakes and undercarriage set. Typical cottage-style, but still a vast improvement over the kit plastic. The 1st-run undercarriage set is virtually useless - far too weak "as is". But you're right, the basic kit is a great canvas just waiting to be filled with life and loads of TLC.

I've got two of the 1/48 CF-100s as well. One long wing and one short wing. Just waiting....

All those kits have great shapes. They just need plenty of love and affection, you're right. 

I bought a 1/48 Tutor also, along with a few resin sets for them, thinking I'd buy more than one. Those resin sets are impossible to find today.  Cockpit, intakes, and speed boards with wells.

• Like 4

The decals looks fantastic. I had emailed Mike about upscaling the decals as well so I'm glad he did them. I'll definitely be picking up a set. Hopefully I can get a set of FM 104 as well since that was my neighborhood plane as a kid.

Carl