The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Scratch build 1/35th 6W AEC Matador refueller

I am seriously considering building this as part of my (eventual) Lancaster dispersal diorama . . . 

Scratch-AEC-Refueller.jpg

I am gathering some pieces before I start and at the mo I am trying to source something that looks like transmission housing etc for the wheel drives.

I'm relatively new to this scratch building despite having done a few other items for this planned diorama, OIL bowser & pneumatic trailer. I know it wont be perfect but it will look something like it should be but rivet counter accurate it wont be. I'll try my best. 

I will be sure to post here once I start 

• Like 7

Thanks gents for pointing a few kits in my direction.

Currently researching this particular AEC vehicle so it will be a while before I start, just finishing a Ford WOT crew bus.

Many thanks Martin for the handbook link, it looks to be very helpful, cheers.

I thought about the AFV kit(s) but there are only 4 wheels and transmission drive to the rear axle whereas I need potential 6/7 wheels and the associated axles and shafts for the two sets of rear axles. Can you obtain spares from AFV I wonder to expand it to a six-wheeler ?? Where are AFV ?

I have built the 35th IBG Bedford QL so the scale isnt that imperative. I have scaled up the Airfix drawing to 32nd and cross reference with some old John Church drawings. As I stated earlier, I am new to this scratch building so would like to attempt it but I hope to find odds and sods that I can utilise. I am on the lookout for a ladder that was used to climb up onto the tank but I think I could build that reasonable well . . . .  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I opted to purchase these kits in order to obtain a third axle along with the prop shaft and wheel/tyres should i decide to go 35th scale.

I have the AEC 6w refueller plan(s) in both 32nd & 35th scale.

In both cases I would have to build a tank and associated pump housing at the rear. I still fancy the 32nd scale as the cab is basically a box.

I was unaware that you got TWO cab fronts and roof in each boxing of the kit so I can readily build a couple of vehicles in 35th (an RAF 3-tonner & 6w Crane).

If I turn to the 32nd I would need to source something to represent three axles, drive transmission and prop shafts . . . anybody know of such for a WWII lorry ?

Scratch-AEC-Refueller.jpg

Decisions to be made :help:

David

• Like 4

On 5/23/2019 at 5:17 AM, Ryan said:

GMC 2-1/2 tonner will have 3 live axles. (Italeri, Tamiya...perhaps Heller)

Yeah, but doesn't the Duece have "Mack" style crown and pinion sections...... not conventional ones, the Mack Crown and pinion are horizontal, and the conventional is vertical.... second pic is a Matador rear end........ I know some of this stuff, after 38 years operating heavy iron, not trying to be difficult, just accurate... correct me on the Duece rear axle..... not an expert there......

Axle-Housings-Rear-Mack-DM685S-9230519.jpg

P1070701.JPG

• Like 3

I think that is the axle off the front on the Matador. The drive is off-centre and I think that is the steering rack  seen at the back in the photo  . . . (I'm not an expert either )

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FME erk said:

I think that is the axle off the front on the Matador. The drive is off-centre and I think that is the steering rack  seen at the back in the photo  . . . (I'm not an expert either )

Yes most likely, you are right, but I am wondering if the Matador has more of a conventional axle system..... is there anything here that might help?

http://www.offroadvehicle.ru/AZBUCAR/Scammell/?M=A

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I shall be in receipt of the Heller GMC 2.5t kit very soon.

I purchased it for the items mentioned above but If the axles are not wide enough I shall put it back on Ebay site.

If they are, for the 32nd scale version,  then I think I shall be running with them.

I also looked at the KFS stuff and I particularly liked a couple of the WWII vehicles but then I am drifting away from the 32nd scale and who knows where I might end up ??

David

• Like 4

Phil

The Airfix  Refueller Set  plan, see the first post, in their instruction sheet is the only 'plan' I have seen of the AEC Matador refueller so to that end I have scaled it up to both 35th and 32nd scale.   There is a noticeable difference in the two scales so I couldnt use the 35th AFV Club kit in parts for the 32nd build, sadly.

I am rather hoping that the American GMC lorry has a wider axle in 35th than the AFV Club Matador of the same scale so that I could adapt it for the 32nd build ?.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

THE GMC lorry wheels are not ideal so I shall press on with using the AFV kits.

I've not been to well of late but I do intend to make a start pretty soon, I am having withdrawal symptoms  :sofa: I gotta make a start soon 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FME erk said:

THE GMC lorry wheels are not ideal so I shall press on with using the AFV kits.

I've not been to well of late but I do intend to make a start pretty soon, I am having withdrawal symptoms  :sofa: I gotta make a start soon 

Hey FME

Try looking for one of these kits, they are 1/32 scale.

a132879ce5dd6e2045bcc59e73ebe75f.jpg

s-l400.jpgI think they might fill your need.

Ron G 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing a touch of research on this and I have made a tentative start.

taken from the book for reference only, 'Taking the Rough with the Smooth', is this photograph upon which I shall base my model . . . 

Scratch-AEC-Refueller-003.jpg

Caption reads "The MK2 (model 0854) refueller had the diesel engine fitted. Visible on the roof are the runners for the sliding roof panel".

Started with the chassis which needs to be extended and modified . . .

Scratch-AEC-Refueller-001.jpg

On the 4 x 4 tractor unit I found it necessary to remove the top section of the chassis.

I have only made this initial template for the tank  . . .  there will be five such for the tank

Scratch-AEC-Refueller-002.jpg

A slight cheat perhaps but I enlarged the Airfix parts up to 1/35th to give me a better idea of sizes  . . . 

Scratch-AEC-Refueller-004.jpg

I also did the same with the Airfix chassis and now I have received some  Super Styrene 'C' section I can start cutting up the chassis and extend it  . . . 

More to come :D

David

• Like 4