The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Scratch build 1/35th 6W AEC Matador refueller

At the moment I am not getting much done at the weekends so here is a little it of progress  . . .

The tank isnt secured yet to the chassis and the rear pump housing is just taped on. I want to get the spare wheel carrier fitted with its spare tyre taken from the kit and when that done I can secure it all. The last thing will be the mudguards over the rear bogies and then a final paint job  . . . .

Scratch AEC rear doors .JPG

Scratch AEC Spare wheel .JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Despite fixing the spare wheel carrier onto the side of the tank I did not think there was sufficient clearance for the main rear bogie wheels so I decided to take it OFF. Bearing in mind that I scaled up the 3-view drawing in the Airfix kit, the third tank support should have been further forward to give me the clearance but hey ho, plenty of vehicles didnt carry the spare wheel.

I had to wait for some 'evergreen' stuff to arrive before I could progress with the hose housing on the roof, there being two lots. I have also constructed the access ladder to the said roof . . . .

I also sneaked some paint on the rear doors just to give me a tiny lift, to encourage me to reach the finish line . .

Final hurdle will be the rear mudguards, not to difficult but just got to ensure that they are the same  . . . :unsure:

AEC Scratch tall .JPG

AEC Scratch Paint .JPG

• Like 5

Its almost done  . . .

I have just applied varnish to then place the decals appropriate for the type and Group for my display.

A few progress photos of the mudguards for the rear  . . .

Hopefully I shall get this completed as far as I can, I still have the circular hatches on the very top to do along with their vents, however, these will be done in between periods of 'waiting' as I start to build the HK Lancaster come the New Year  . . .

I shall take the photos of the AEC refueller over the next couple of days particularly if I catch a glimpse of sunshine  . . .

Scratch AEC Muds 1.JPG

Scratch AEC Muds 4 .JPG

Scratch AEC Muds 3 .JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have virtually finished this, need to do the PE for the front windows but as I promised myself I would start the HK Lancaster in the new year I present a couple of photos of the vehicle . . . next time you see this, it should be dispensing fuel to the Lancaster  . . .

Thanks to all who looked in  . . .

Ian

Scratch AEC Camouflage  (1).JPG

Scratch AEC Camouflage  (2).JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 1/10/2021 at 2:57 PM, Bomber_County said:

Stunning Ian, I remember in the mid 60’s seeing a lot of these still being used for commercial use and or being converted for other uses........

Really looking awesome, Ian! You rock it! 

And all for your Lanc-Diorama: This will be looking gorgeous when finished! 

• Like 1