Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Kit Manufacturer Anxiety

Ryan

Am I the only one who feels more at home with a chunky eastern European kit, than the latest Tamiya or WNW kit?

I don't know what it is but I seem to treat the latter more cautiously and in doing so end up making more mistakes.

• Like 4

I’m a bit like you, Ryan,

Must be linked to my modelling culture and past. I never flinch facing a difficult assembly, and quite the contrary tend to yawn when it’s too easy. Add to that the choice of subject, which is very often too mainstream for my tastes (at least for Tamiya, not WnW who created a new modelling model and market), and I end up with a lot of Special Hobby, or resin kits, and few, if any, Tamiya.

Hubert

• Like 8

I'm glad you said Special Hobby.

For some reason I can accept a out of round or chunky detail from them, when the part is cleaned up the issue is still there, just cleaned up. Shafts are oval, rectangular details perhaps have shifted between top and bottom molds etc.

Now take that same shaft or or another perfectly molded part from WNW and that's where the anxiety sets in. I feel more pressure to clean up the part as perfectly as it is molded.

• Like 4

• Members

I just finished the PCM 190 and it's very much a "Special Hobby" type kit, low pressure injection molded, no locating pins, etc.  Although there's a sense of accomplishment, there was a lot of frustration and extra work that went into the kit.  I vowed to stick to shake-n-bake kits for awhile to keep my sanity.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JeroenPeters said:

Sometimes i get the impression that almost anyone can turn a Tamiya Corsair into a silk purse. 

I have loads more respect for a really well made Special Hobby kit.

Hmmm. I get what your saying. Never thought of that before.......harv

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I hear what guys are saying but if you’re time poor there is nothing worse than a kit  that fights back at every opportunity. A challenge yes not a spitting bad tempered dog fight.....:2c:

Well said...... that is an excellent compromise, as I for one can certainly see both sides, my issue, is IF I spend a lot of money on a real nice kit, I don't want to screw it up... well, I guess that goes for all the kits................ I just need more talent...:unsure:

• Like 1