The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Dragon Stug III Ausf F, 142/1

Hello friends!

Past May 25/2019 I started my new Project:  Dragon Stug III Ausf F, Sdk. Fz. 142/1.

S7300462.JPG

I will started to cleaning the drive wheels and idler wheels

S7300463.JPG

The instructions indicate that it is necessary to remove the simulated hatch line and fill a hole (in both sides).

S7300464.JPG

Ready, I filled the hole using Putty de Vallejo

S7300465.JPG

If you ir a beginner, you must be careful with the assembly of suspension arms because in the instruction sheet is inverted. Some pieces have an imperfections, but they were resolved using Putty of Vallejo.

S7300466.JPG

S7300468.JPG

I added holes to the exhaust pipe with silencer.

S7300469.JPG

The rear part did not fit correctly, in order to arrange this, I used styrene into the chassis and filled with Putty of Vallejo on the out part

S7300470.JPG

S7300471.JPG

The plate of air intake grid it came too big, for adjust into the rear it was necessary to cut the sides.

S7300472.JPG

The work with the chassis is ready. The plastic is a bit brittle, at the moment of sandering you must nedd more careful of the normal.

S7300473.JPG

S7300474.JPG

Next step: The tracks, here you can see that it came with 2 marks of pin in each link. After of this tedious work I will return with more updates.

S7300475.JPG

I will use the old technic of the cutter, but finally I decided to continue the work with the hull and wait almost to final with the tracks.

Regards!
Rodolfo

• Like 5

You certainly have plenty of patience Rodolfo. As Jeff says, I think I'd be looking for Friul or R-Model options.

You do wonder what the kit designers are thinking when they put the injector pins in these locations.

• Like 4

Thanks for your kind comments friends!.   I would like to know also what the designers thought for add many pins :rtfm:

Mounted the Air-intake Covers, the plate of vent oppening (compartment roof), driver vision port and headlights.

S7300483.JPG

S7300484.JPG 

Making holes to the Periscope gun sight and ready!.

S7300485.JPG 

S7300486.JPG 

Regards!
Rodolfo

• Like 5

Treating the tracks: 1) - cut the horizontal bars in order to give more space for the following step. 2) - Using a medium round (or round) tool file and filing along the tracks.

S7300487.JPG

S7300488.JPG 

Ready 1 sheet of 76 tracks in less than 3 minutes!, after of this photo only I retouched 3 tracks, really useful and quick!!

S7300489.JPG 

Regards!
Rodolfo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, that turned out much better than I would have thought............ I had in my mind that you were going to 'fill' each one and then sand..................... THAT would have been tedious at best...............they look really good, even gave them some texture.....

• Like 2

Thanks for your kind comments friends!.   Yes, this is a good shortcut for treating the tracks.

More updates!

The Photoetched are very rigid (hard), but can be worked without probems.

S7300490.JPG

Tracks ready!, In the pic 4 I saw a desaligned track, but after of take the photo was arrenged.

S7300491.JPG 

S7300492.JPG 

S7300493.JPG 

S7300494.JPG 

Regards!
Rodolfo

• Like 5

Nice work so far Rodolfo, I like your shortcut with the tracks. If you find the PE parts to hard to bend you can anneal them by heating the sheet with a flame. afterwards the material is much softer.

You mastered the tracks your own way, but i might suggest another white metal product with very easy assembly. They are made by Easy Metal Links and are constructed without needing pins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLvv8ld_km0

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips about the PE and tracks,  In the past I worked with Friulmodel and are an excellent tracks too.  Regarding the Easy Metal Tracks, maybe I will try in future!

More updates!

Finished the build work!. (the sides are not glued yet, first I will treat the tracks). Next step: I will apply a coat of Primer before to paint.

S7300495.JPG 

S7300496.JPG 
S7300497.JPG

S7300498.JPG 
Regards!
Rodolfo

• Like 5

:D  hello frieds!

Thanks for your comments!.   Really is easy, the arms of assemble it coming with great definition in order to glue to the hull. I need space for paint the tracks, with the plates added is not possible in a 90% (above) because the space is reduce.     I can also comfortably paint the tools on the back, do it with the assembled plates is possible, but a bit uncomfortable.

Regards!
Rodolfo

• Like 2

More updates:

Before to airbrush the tracks and wheels I used Parafilm for cover the sides. Paint used: Vallejo #71056, black-grey.

S7300501.JPG 

S7300502.JPG 

Now, airbrushed the rest of the armor with no protection on the tracks and wheel, the effect will be natural when I start the weathering, (only a small retouch in the wheels and track sides). Paint used: Vallejo #71028, sand-yellow; and the interior of hatches were painted with: AMMO MIG Interior Color, #A.MIG017, cremeweiss.

S7300503.JPG 

S7300504.JPG 

Next step: Camo.  Add the decals. Paint the tools and treat the tracks continuing the weathering assambling the side plates.

Regards!
Rodolfo

• Like 5

More updates!

Tools are ready!. Paints used Vallejo and Humbrl: cleaning rods, V-Model Color- #984, flat-brown, V-MC#70912,tan-yellow and H- #56, metallic. Cutting pliers, V-Model Color #70818 red-leather mixed with V-MC#981 orange- brown (50-50), and the rest with V-MC#984, flat-brown and H-#56 metallic.

S7300509.JPG 

S7300510.JPG 

Mud on the tracks using: Vallejo, acrylic-resin (paste), brown-earth

S7300511.JPG 

S7300512.JPG 

Retouching the tracks with Humbrol #27002, Metalcote polished Aluminium.

S7300513.JPG 

Regards!
Rodolfo

• Like 4

Looks great, Rodolfo!  I'm not sure about the white metal on the tools:

14063b.jpg

Although there are many arguments about colors for the jack and other tools, there had to have been some protective finish to combat rust.

HTH

Gaz

• Like 2