Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

FPL Avenger

3 hours ago, TJTX said:

That's what I'm leaning towards.   I have some thin plastic sheeting I should be able to use on the back end.  The trickiest part is the very back curve.

Tony, contact lone star anyway, they may have a set in stock, or at very least he can put you on order.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Tony,I think I have a -3. What’s the difference? You can check mine out if you’d like. If necessary, you should be able to buy a cowl Sprue on eBay for a few bucks. 

Cant find the cowl on Ebay.   The -1has 1 intake while the -3 has 2.  The -3 also has full cowl flaps while the -1 has segmented partial cowl flaps.   Its VERY noticeable. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TJTX said:

Cant find the cowl on Ebay.   The -1has 1 intake while the -3 has 2.  The -3 also has full cowl flaps while the -1 has segmented partial cowl flaps.   Its VERY noticeable. 

How about changing the paint scheme to match a -1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TJTX said:

Thankfully I have found a -3 to trade for my -1. So as soon as I can complete that trade and get a few minutes at home, I'll get this party started.  

Good to hear ! Looking forward to see you converting this beast into a peaceful bomber ...

Hubert

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TJTX said:

Thankfully I have found a -3 to trade for my -1. So as soon as I can complete that trade and get a few minutes at home, I'll get this party started.  

4 hours ago, HubertB said:

Good to hear ! Looking forward to see you converting this beast into a peaceful bomber ...

Hubert

• Like 2

Gents you wouldn't believe the pictures I've got now! Jeff is the absolute man and has tracked down an absolute amazing treasure trove of photos.  He was able to make contact with a museum that has a TBM firebomber.  The museum staff was extremely kind and took a TON of amazing photos for use as reference for the build.  Heres a brief sampling of the good stuff. 

DAVE5912.jpeg

DAVE5920.jpeg

DAVE5944.jpeg

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, TJTX said:

The only thing I have to think about now is since I have such good pictures,  perhaps I should scrap the 1/32 scale build and switch to 1/1 scale? :D

Methink you should do a 1:1 F-14 instead :popo:

Hubert

• Like 3

• Administrators

:lol::stirthepot:

ya know.... we should think out of the box some. Instead of 1/32, 1/24, 1/16, 1/4, or 1/1, why not go the other way?   Say .7:1. Make it bigger by a third.

There's more than a few corn cob Pratts out there you could use. F

ailing to source a decent corncob, you can go with the grandaddy of the big props, a genuine Rolls Royce Tyne out of a Brittania or CL-44.   Failing sucessfully sourcing one of those, the Kuznetsov NK-12 is available for use as well. that one will have the added benefit of giving you contra rotating props for that unique sound. :)

• Like 2

Gentlemen,  I appreciate the support shown to me from everyone here.  However,  it's time to step away for awhile.   I need some time away from the craziness and will set this build aside for a little while.  I have a few other builds planned, but they're for me.  I have let my competitive nature overtake my passion and enjoyment of the hobby.   I will build a few builds for myself,  no wips or notes on accuracy,  etc....  I'll post the finished builds in the completed section in time.  I greatly appreciate all your support and I promise this build will happen soon! 

• Like 4

:( Sad to hear that Tony, but hey a guy needs to do what a guy needs to do, and as the busy time is upon you, work, family and life is the important stuff....... I will be sitting patiently in the front row, waiting your return..............;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Happily my -3 has arrived and along with it some very promising information from Jeff.  He has made a wonderful contact inside Forset Protection (the head AME!) who has more than helped a little with incredible information and photos.  Because he has gone WAY out of his way to help here I am switching this build over to a FPL bird.  Pretty much the same paint scheme without the Conair name.  That will also help with creating the paint mask.  I am working on a Tamiya F-6D right now but this build will officially get going in December.  The juices are flowing!!!

• Like 2

On 10/16/2019 at 12:58 AM, TJTX said:

I will build a few builds for myself,  no wips or notes on accuracy,  etc....  I'll post the finished builds in the completed section in time.

Now that's interesting, at least to me. All my builds I build for myself and some are more documented through a WIP than others. The main drive to build was my own interest into a subject though. Even on a GB, I would only participate if there is a fitting match to my building desires.

It's great to learn how different we all are. This makes our hobby shine in more dimensions and gives insights into your minds and raises temptations sometimes.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2