The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Arado 234 Nachtigall on Speed

Still no masks at hand, spring can be awful here. It's the worst weather of the year, normally and every second day is a holiday, so no working customs, no working mail. Meanwhile, I painted the wheels with my usual workflow, spraying the hubs first, in this case semi matte black, then mask the hubs and spray the tires. Here I used Nato Black as a base and then sprayed the flanks with some drops of Field Blue in the Nato black. Last step are pigments in a concrete tone rubbed in for enhancing contrasts and simulating abrasion and dirt. Some details were picked out by brush on the hubs.
The kit wheels look especially good, it's strange, how different the quality of the plastic parts are in this kit.

P1000589.thumb.JPG.b99e2ab937a02be153246fa0a0aa0faa.JPG

Next were the parachute packs for the Ratos jets. I sprayed everything in RLM 22, masked the belts off and used Buff for the remainder. The ropes were painted by brush and then I rubbed in some concrete pigments.

P1000592.thumb.JPG.f81ae0d467e39601b5f91c83b4526e69.JPG 

Cheers Rob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Nice looking details, Rob.  I've never had an opportunity to model the Walther rockets.  Thanks for showing the way.

I've discussed island life with the missus, briefly.  Her and her mother went to Norfolk Island, and she said it was wonderful, with a temperate climate - that we should move there.  And the cows have right of way on the streets and roads.  And all I was thinking about were models, modelling supplies, and internet connection.  There's isolation...   and then there is i-so-la-tion.

norfolk-location-on-the-oceania-map-max.jpg.86a58d5b3739ef2bfb282988e9ebd73d.jpg

The little island is 1,500km from me, and over 1,000km from Auckland, NZ.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I've discussed island life with the missus, briefly.  Her and her mother went to Norfolk Island, and she said it was wonderful, with a temperate climate - that we should move there.  And the cows have right of way on the streets and roads.  And all I was thinking about were models, modelling supplies, and internet connection.  There's isolation...   and then there is i-so-la-tion

I had to look up Norfolk Island, phew, this is pretty isolated and small. Only about ten percent of the area of my tiny island, though more inhabitants per square mile, if there is a full one :D
Now at almost sixty, I enjoy life here and I wouldn't leave my island, even if I had to give up modeling. Luckily that's not the case, kits and AM takes some time to get here, but chemicals are the problem. Living isolated changes the approach, spending way more time to find ways, to get things transported to your place, but I mostly found possibilities. To me it's not only about modeling, my other hobbies are demanding too. Vinyls, hifi, rare cocktail ingredients, sports equipment like surf boards or mountainbikes can be tricky, but like I said, there are ways, sometimes unfortunately not very comfortable or pricey.
In younger years, I enjoyed the urban live of Berlin with all it's virtues and vices and wouldn't have thought about living on an isolated island. Now it's different, I enjoy living near the ocean, having multiple possibilities for outdoor sports and activities, nearly no crime here, friendly people around, quietness where I live, we own a dog now, a no no for me in Berlin and it's only a very cheap flight of about half an hour to Tenerife, where you get a lot of goods and medical care, but no modelling stuff.
In a way, you have to be carved for this type of living, there were people arriving here to stay forever, leaving after two weeks, no joking. It's a question of personality. My wife absolutely enjoys living here and wouldn't like to go back to Berlin or anywhere else, but she has to visit there way more often than me.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

14 hours ago, KevinM said:

Coming along Nicely Rob!;)

Nice looking details, Rob.  I've never had an opportunity to model the Walther rockets.  Thanks for showing the way.

11 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Nice wheels Rob, I like the subtle differences in colours. Very natural 

Thank you amigos, I like the effect of multi-black-colored wheels a lot. I rarely use pure black for planes and armor, but varying shades look more real to my eye.
I will show more of the rocket packs soon. They are painted in matte aluminum and wait for the stenciling to be finished, when the masks arrive. I will replicate the trigger line for the parachute as well, after adding it.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

On 5/27/2023 at 3:41 PM, GazzaS said:

I've discussed island life with the missus, briefly.  Her and her mother went to Norfolk Island, and she said it was wonderful, with a temperate climate - that we should move there.  And the cows have right of way on the streets and roads.  And all I was thinking about were models, modelling supplies, and internet connection.  There's isolation...   and then there is i-so-la-tion.

norfolk-location-on-the-oceania-map-max.jpg.86a58d5b3739ef2bfb282988e9ebd73d.jpg

The little island is 1,500km from me, and over 1,000km from Auckland, NZ.

Gaz

Wow, surely seems like the 'old world' and I wonder how much of today's technology and lifestyle the island actually has. Surely would be a huge change of life. 

4 hours ago, KevinM said:

That's me to Rob I live 1/3 a mile as the crow flies from the GOM on the MS Gulf Coast .

I went through your town on the way from New Orleans to Pensacola some years ago. Nice place. Almost forgot, Mississippi has a coastline to the sea.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 3:18 AM, DocRob said:

Almost forgot, Mississippi has a coastline to the sea.

There's a story about a ship that got sunk by a U-boat not far out in the GOM S of the MS coast line which would be 30/50miles out for depths worthy of a u-boat.;)

• Like 2

The last days were full of distractions, but I filled, sanded and re scribed a lot of panel lines, where there was more work popping up after the first coat of primer. The model was then primed again and though it's not perfect (I suck with filling and scribing :D), it has to do.
Meanwhile the 1ManArmy masks arrived and I decided to give the Arado a camo of RLM 76 for the underside and RLM 81 and 82 for the camo scheme. I will use AK Real colors and have masks for the camouflage. Unfortunately my code letters are not on the sheet and I will use the decals for these, which are looking good.
One downside with 1ManArmy is, that you don't see, what you buy. Sure there are the masterful fabricated stencils, but with the included generic markings, you don't know, what they give you.
For that reason, I will show, what's in the package. The pic is horrible, but I tried my best to show everything with contrast enhancement, ...

Cheers Rob

IMG_1062(3).thumb.jpg.9cb8f1dc069edfd4b69db045053d15e9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Rob, thanks for sharing the 1ManArmy pic. I keep looking at them but like yourself, could never tell what's included. I wish they'd include a simple line diagram of what's in each set. Might get them some more sales.

Carl

• Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 12:08 AM, Peterpools said:

Rob Completely agree and right with Carl but I know I'm going to give them a try either on the Mustang or my next build.

On the back of the package they list the planes for, which the basic markings are supplied. They should at least show this information on their website, imho.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Time and motivation are a bit sparse in the moment, but I managed to apply some color onto the Arado. After re-spraying the gloss black of the canopy after sanding, the whole canopy section was masked.
The underside of the plane received a coat of RLM 76, followed by a very long masking session, a job, I really don't like.

P1000607.thumb.JPG.ba632298046afd549ad7d137a4174c2f.JPG

This was followed by a coat of RLM 82 Dunkelgrün (dark green) I decided against pre shading, because of the double coating in the RLM 81 Braunviolett areas. All camo colors are from AK's Real Color range and spray very fine and smooth with the added Mr. Leveling thinner. After drying, I will apply the camo masks, which are pre-cut luckily.

P1000609.thumb.JPG.f7a050e524a6df9a42ce5cb612284fec.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking great Rob.  Nice smooth base there.  Cool looking canopy on this subject.

19 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Looking mighty good and I'm right with you as masking is not one of my favorite parts of any build but was ahead of scribing, filling and sanding. 😉

19 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Very nice paint job Rob. 

Ooh...   glad to see paint on it, Rob.  Looks nice and clean!

Muchas gracias amigos, I'm also very glad to see some paint on the Arado finally and I hope working without pre-shading, what I normally do, will turn out good enough in the end without looking boring. During masking, I realized, that for a long time, maybe forever, I haven't painted a hard edge camo. Maybe I should have prepared better, but I want the Arado off the bench and I take, what I get, if it's not too disgusting :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I want the Arado off the bench and I take, what I get, if it's not too disgusting :D.

Hey Rob I know that feeling all to wee/often hence the Me-110 did not in the end as it stands now get weathered.;)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Hey Rob I know that feeling all to wee/often hence the Me-110 did not in the end as it stands now get weathered.;)

There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about with your fantastic looking 110, Kevin. I hope for an at leas decent result with the Nachtigall. It was too much work for a complete bust.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The hard edge camo is done. I sprayed the brown violet over the masked dark green areas and got a sharp result. I used a dedicated masking set, made by LF Models. The masks are made from vinyl and It took some effort to lay them down perfectly, to have no color running under it. The manual is a bit vague in places, relatively small and some codes were printed blue on green, hard to read. Definitely an area for improvement. I always remove my masks rapidly after application, before the color is properly hardened through. Luckily on first inspection, I couldn't make out severe mistakes. After proper drying, I will have a closer look.

P1000610.thumb.JPG.40f7109a1eb13c0cc8f5784becbe3777.JPG

P1000611.thumb.JPG.88680ae1e1d7e8e7eadb02c13b87debc.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 6