Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Spray Booth

SapperSix

Bringing my spray booth inside was on the list of things I was going to do for the spring.  Given the current situation I have some time on my hands.  Which brings me to why we are all here.  It certainly isn't my incredible good looks and stunning smile.  Although they are compelling.....:lol:

I am moving my spraying operations in, from the garage, to the man cave so that I can spray during the deeper part of the Alaskan winter.  While the garage was heated, it was not conducive to some of the more precise work I want to do.  Inside I will have consistent temps and an actual lite workspace.  I am making my own vent.

Any advice on the project as I move forward will be appreciated.  Prior mistakes and victories welcome.

• Like 2

I modified my stock booth by adding a big transparent plastic case to the fan housing as can be seen in this thread. It works fine for most large scale kits.
There are some other good ideas in that thread.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am also lucky to have a spare room in the house as modelling room...

the same question as from Sapper .........as I always use Vallejo acrylics, should I stilll vent the hose out of the window? I just rely on the foam / mesh medium to pickup the particles.............appreciate some advice 

• Like 2

The sound advice is to always reject whatever comes out of the filter outside. Our houses are already full of VOC and dust particles. Unless you are 120 % sure the paint formula, and the thinner formula are completely - and I mean COMPLETELY - harmless, it’s just not worth taking the risk.

Our benches and man-caves are already clogged with harmful chemicals or dust particles : if we have a way of expelling some, just jump on the opportunity.

Hubert

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I am also lucky to have a spare room in the house as modelling room...

the same question as from Sapper .........as I always use Vallejo acrylics, should I stilll vent the hose out of the window? I just rely on the foam / mesh medium to pickup the particles.............appreciate some advice 

Definitely vent out the window, however, in the winter months I tie an old t-shirt to the end of the vent hose. He first stage is the booth filter, the second is the t-shirt for smaller particles. However, for lacquer, I vent directly outside. This year I plan to permanently install a dryer vent outside and run a hose through the wall to my spray booth. As I am switching over to lacquer paint, I need to find a winter time spaying solution.

• Like 3

Thanks for bringing this subject back up.  I’ve done some brain storming the past 24 hours and came up with a brilliant idea.  As I mentioned in the post linked above, my hobby room is in a basement with 10” thick concrete walls.  I cut a hole years ago to install a window AC unit.   What I didn’t think about was I lined the opening with 2X10 boards.  It dawned on me that if I removed the unit and removed the unnecessary 2X10 upright boards, this would give me a 3” opening if I slide the AC unit over to one side.  I would need to reline one side with some plywood so I can tack in an AC transition duct with a 24” long duct to get it past the AC unit out the opening.  

Already spec’d out an inline fan on Amazon with something like 380 cfm for 8” duct.  I can build a booth on a cart with the fan built in, inside a “box” to keep the noise down and flexible duct to connect to my exhaust ducting next to the AC unit.  

Keeping my fingers crossed!  

Update: just took a look.  No side space, but plenty of top/bottom space. Wife isn’t happy that I’m coming up with a new project that will cost $$$ though.  Oh well.  

• Like 4

23 hours ago, biggtim said:

I used this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F7Q1K3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and a dryer vent in the exterior wall. I've been quite pleased with it, though it is a bit loud, as the duct run is very short.

Biggtim...as I was looking at the link you provided, I also found spray booths.   Man have things moved along since the last time I checked. My mind, my vision, of what spray booths are is easily 10 - 15 years behind reality.  It seems that I can get very nice spray booth for little more than what it would cost me to build from scratch. 

My prior life would keep from experiencing "normal life" or even caring about current pop culture.  Hence years would pass and someone would talk about a popular movie that I had never heard of.   Reason being I was not "connected", I might as well been on an island.  The good thing is I now have a wealth of good movies and music to catch up on.  This is another one of those moments in that I had no real idea of how much time had passed since I last looked at hobby spray booths.  I am probably not making much and buying it outright as it seems to make more sense....Although Amazon might prove to be a bit tricky during this time.

• Like 4