The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

HpH P-63C build #3

53 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Damn that was quick or did the red mist of cuss descend........

I had planned to work on it until I was ready to do something else. It'll stay put aside for a bit but I will get back to it later on. Right now....another 1/72 B-24D from Tidal Wave. Hasegawa kit this time. :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

This is definitely not a shake and bake kit, it has to be a labor of love. But you are whipping it into shape.

The first two I built I carried on until they were finished just like any other kit. This time I decided to just use it as a on going build and devote time to other projects along the way. That way I don't feel "pressured" to keep after it when I have other things I want to devote time too. :)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

John, you’re kicking it as usual.  Awesome job!

I can’t do an HPH kit in one straight go either. The things kick my butt mentally. But the enjoyment factor is crazy high.

They do present a challenge Ernie. That makes it so much better when they are done. :)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

John,

I applaud your dedication.  Seems to me you're bouncing back and forth from irritating kit to irritating kit.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Gaz. That's right but now I intend to stay with the '63 until it's finished. Done with a lot of the high cuss factor stuff except for mating the wings to the fuselage. THAT has a pretty high cuss factor. I don't know why HpH didn't do a better job of engineering this kit as it would be a lot more enjoyable if some of the worst offenders had been paid better attention. Maybe they just wanted to irritate us! :D

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Gonna be nice to see

Thanks Ernie. I've been doing work on it off and on during the B-24 build and now decided it's time to finish her off. I'm still a little undecided on markings but it's possible it will be a French a/c in IndoChina/Vietnam as I have the nice decal sheet for that. However, I'd REALLY like to do another US one but haven't found any, other than "A's", that I like. I will stick with a "C" no matter. A Russkie one would look good but I just can't warm up to that. B)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Thanks Gaz. That's right but now I intend to stay with the '63 until it's finished. Done with a lot of the high cuss factor stuff except for mating the wings to the fuselage. THAT has a pretty high cuss factor. I don't know why HpH didn't do a better job of engineering this kit as it would be a lot more enjoyable if some of the worst offenders had been paid better attention. Maybe they just wanted to irritate us! :D

It is a shame they did such a bad job.  I know that it must have cost them sales.  Cuz I really like the P-63, but ain;t gonna buy one of theirs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

It is a shame they did such a bad job.  I know that it must have cost them sales.  Cuz I really like the P-63, but ain;t gonna buy one of theirs.

Yep. Too bad alright. And they did such a nice job on the surface details, etc. Must have been a different bunch doing the engineering.

• Like 3

• Administrators

John, a Russkie one is a natch for this kit. Like you, I’m a Cold Warrior, and I reconcile the fact that it was their Government, not the poor blokes in the cockpits that made the rules. 

We both know plenty of very decent previously behind the line guys, a few of them right here on this forum.

Build a Russian bird. They alone kept Bell afloat through the war and because of them, we have great helicopters that kicked their asses all over the world. 

One of their P-63s against one of our P-51s would have been a pretty even fight, aircraft wise. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

One of their P-63s against one of our P-51s would have been a pretty even fight, aircraft wise. 

Can't give them any credit for the 63.  They didn't make it.

• Like 2