The Great LSP Twins Group Build Starts Jan 24, 2024 - End July 3, 2024 ×

HpH P-63C build #3

I have been wanting to build another one of these and was able to get another kit recently so here goes. I plan to use the decals HpH issued for the French AF a/c used in Indochina. Should look really nice. Something a bit different (at least for me.)

5-19-20 001.jpg

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Gonna follow along, John!  This really is a nice kit. Too bad it's OOP.  I still have three in the stash and really want to finish another. Maybe as a racer?

Yes Ernie it is too bad it is OOP. Gotten hard to find now. I'll still take one of your stash kits if you decide to let one go at some point. :)

• Like 6

21 hours ago, GusMac said:

Bit of an understatement John! Looks like Edward Scissorhands removed it from the moulds!!

Indeed! The previous owner had removed the moldings but it shouldn't present any problems. ;)

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, JeroenPeters said:

Great subject. Love hph kits and the detail and challenges they offer.

Yes indeed! They are really nice kits but ARE a bit of a challenge (and pricey too!). :)

• Like 4

Here is a shot of my other kit, which I do not intend to build, to show a comparison with the one I'm now building. Just to show the molding attachments that were removed from the other kit. Not a big problem.

5-20-20 a 001.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrators
8 hours ago, JohnB said:

As you can see there is a bit of cleanup, etc needed. Not a big problem!

5-20-20 001.jpg

5-20-20 002.jpg

Indeed. Just measure the width by the fit of the greenhouse. 

But that blasted wing bites me in the arse. If the width is right for the greenhouse, then the main wing has a tendency to build up flat or with anhedral.  It’s a job to fix, but not too tough. 

You got it figured, John!

• Like 4

Yes, a Kingcobra in my favourite French markings, be still my beating heart. Honestly, I'd chicken out if this would be on my table but as Martin said: Balls of steel. That's going to be a pleasure to follow along !!!

Lothar

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Indeed. Just measure the width by the fit of the greenhouse. 

But that blasted wing bites me in the arse. If the width is right for the greenhouse, then the main wing has a tendency to build up flat or with anhedral.  It’s a job to fix, but not too tough. 

You got it figured, John!

If I was able to get it done on my 1st two builds I should be able to get this one sorted out. Fingers crossed! :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

:rofl:

I was eyeballing the DC-3 but then went all in with the B-36, long may she reign!

I look forward to seeing your build Ernie. LOL:)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lothar said:

Yes, a Kingcobra in my favourite French markings, be still my beating heart. Honestly, I'd chicken out if this would be on my table but as Martin said: Balls of steel. That's going to be a pleasure to follow along !!!

Lothar

Thanks Lothar. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are molding ridges along the inside front of the wings, both upper and lower parts. These need to be sanded or filed down (but not completely removed) to allow the wing halves to mate properly. I choose to do this as a preliminary to continuing with the fuselage, etc.

5-21-20 002.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrators

John, I’ll be curious to how you deal with the dihedral, air scoops, and that blasted landing light. Those three things alone kicked my arse hard on my build. 

There must be a better way!

I’ll be watching and learning. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

John, I’ll be curious to how you deal with the dihedral, air scoops, and that blasted landing light. Those three things alone kicked my arse hard on my build. 

There must be a better way!

I’ll be watching and learning. 

The landing light is a real toughie. I'll have to refresh my memory on that.

• Like 2