The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 Hobby Boss Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop 603 Squardon RAF, Malta 1942.

Hobby Boss kit with numerous mods using Tamiya Mk.IX and Hasegawa Mk.I parts, prop blades from Grey Matter Figures, exhausts from Quickboost, wing cannons from Master-Model, and wheels from BarracudaStudios.  Extra rivet detail was added around the engine using the RB Production rivet tools.  Marking were painted on using masks from Miracle Paint Masks.

1S-53_zps8f558b5a.jpg

2S-52_zps8be5551d.jpg

3S-52_zpsc9e7c978.jpg

4S-53_zpse6e64b0d.jpg

5S-52_zps296586a7.jpg

6S-47_zps2feb564e.jpg

7S-34_zpseabacf34.jpg

8S-31_zps35eb8326.jpg

9S-23_zps1e7260c9.jpg

10S-17_zps39b74a75.jpg

11S-9_zpsab490b1d.jpg

12S-9_zps9d2bf7cc.jpg

Some truely impressive finshed work pics on the forum - sorry I can't match them.  Happy to provide more details on the mods if anyone is interested.  Thanks for Looking.  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 4

Some truely impressive finshed work pics on the forum - sorry I can't match them. 

Ahhhh... yea.... your paint work is so crap, that I want to throw all my work in the bin after looking at yours!

Did you use the Tamiya or The Boss canopy hood in the end?

So what's next Ralph?

Awesome

I have Brian Cauchi's book all reviewed and ready to be published - what with that and seeing this build - makes me want to go and get this kit!

Dave, he used the Tamiya canopy, but I would certainly appreciate an explanation of exactly which parts (is there a choice in the Tamiya kit?) and also know what other modifications were used

Simply stunning!!!!

Rick:  I missed the RAF "Dark Earth" by a bit - I can't get the contrast/brightness balance sorted to give a better likeness to the model colours.  Apparently in the new book that Nick mentions, the colours have been suggested to be Extra Dark Sea Grey and Slate Grey over Sky .  They'd look terific.

Dave, Nick:  windshield is from the Tamiya Mk.IX - acquired last year when Rainbow 10 was still offerring to supply individual Tamiya kit sprues to overseas customers - they've stopped overseas supply since.  Canopy is from the Hasegawa Mk.I. 

Nick:  other mods included...  spinner is a kitbash of the old Hasegawa Mk.I spinner grafted to the kit backing plate (GMF spinner had issues) - looking at Jamme's Vb, perhaps that boxing includes the earlier spinner and props.  Gun sight, rearview mirror and aerial mast are Tamiya - left over from the French Mk.IXc build.  Covered wheels are Roy's resin wheels with the spare PE covers from the Tamiya Mk.IX - copied from the "Malta Blue" Mk.IX posted here a while back.  Roy's hubs needed filling and redrilling to take the HB axles.  The Quickboost exhausts and Master-Model barrels were straightforward.    Nav lights were made by pushing heated clear sprue through holes in the Waldran punch set plate. 

DoogsATX:  find your stuff very pleasing to the eye.  Great pics and clear descriptions - they show your work so well.  Be very interested to see which Malta subject you have in mind.

Johan:  the wing root wear and tear was done by layering.  Base colours were post-shaded with lighter tones, then thinned Vallejo acrylic colours were appled with a sponge AFV modeller chipping style.  Citadel acrylics were used to paint on the worn metal colours, and then the areas were treated with AK Interactive's "Streaking grime for dark yellow vehicels" enamel wash.  Testors Dullcote tinted with small amounts of Tamiya's NATO Black and NATO Red Brown was used to blend the layers together.  Dirt on the wheels was done with Maru Technics "Easy Mud" - a water-soluble acrylic paste that comes in 12  "earth" colours - with the added bonus that it can be tinted/recoloured with the addition of Vallejo acrylics (not tried other acrylic paints though).  Very easy to use, dries quickly.

DoogsATX:  agree - there's something about the clipped-wing Spits.  Great choice.  Interesting to see where Kagero chose to apply the wheel "spatter" on the main wing undersides.  I wondered about it for the Vb Trop build - thought the spatter would be more in line with the undercarriage when upright.  In the end I choked and left it off.  I've not seen that Kagero book - love their stuff - must find it.

Dave J:  apologies - missed your "what's next?" question.  Next up is Tamiya's Mk.VIII.  Model was assembled some time ago.  Aiming for the kit RAAF Grey Nurse scheme.  In two minds - the grubby WWII version, or the gleaming Temora War Bird.

Cheers, Ralph.

Rick: I missed the RAF "Dark Earth" by a bit - I can't get the contrast/brightness balance sorted to give a better likeness to the model colours. Apparently in the new book that Nick mentions, the colours have been suggested to be Extra Dark Sea Grey and Slate Grey over Sky . They'd look terific.

Dave, Nick: windshield is from the Tamiya Mk.IX - acquired last year when Rainbow 10 was still offerring to supply individual Tamiya kit sprues to overseas customers - they've stopped overseas supply since. Canopy is from the Hasegawa Mk.I.

Nick: other mods included... spinner is a kitbash of the old Hasegawa Mk.I spinner grafted to the kit backing plate (GMF spinner had issues) - looking at Jamme's Vb, perhaps that boxing includes the earlier spinner and props. Gun sight, rearview mirror and aerial mast are Tamiya - left over from the French Mk.IXc build. Covered wheels are Roy's resin wheels with the spare PE covers from the Tamiya Mk.IX - copied from the "Malta Blue" Mk.IX posted here a while back. Roy's hubs needed filling and redrilling to take the HB axles. The Quickboost exhausts and Master-Model barrels were straightforward. Nav lights were made by pushing heated clear sprue through holes in the Waldran punch set plate.

DoogsATX: find your stuff very pleasing to the eye. Great pics and clear descriptions - they show your work so well. Be very interested to see which Malta subject you have in mind.

Johan: the wing root wear and tear was done by layering. Base colours were post-shaded with lighter tones, then thinned Vallejo acrylic colours were appled with a sponge AFV modeller chipping style. Citadel acrylics were used to paint on the worn metal colours, and then the areas were treated with AK Interactive's "Streaking grime for dark yellow vehicels" enamel wash. Testors Dullcote tinted with small amounts of Tamiya's NATO Black and NATO Red Brown was used to blend the layers together. Dirt on the wheels was done with Maru Technics "Easy Mud" - a water-soluble acrylic paste that comes in 12 "earth" colours - with the added bonus that it can be tinted/recoloured with the addition of Vallejo acrylics (not tried other acrylic paints though). Very easy to use, dries quickly.

Awesome build, Malta has so many rich schemes to choose from! You've excecuted it perfectly.

I don't like it when people try and pin down the Malta blue to a specific colour because even if an official colour was used it was so thinned down and so roughly applied it would barely look the same! Whether its Ex Dk Sea Grey or a US colour from Wasp or a local mix I doubt more than a couple were ever the same. My Mk IX Malta blue spit represents the very Dark Spits seen in late 42/43 that were painted in The same Blue used on Royal Navy trucks ! Which I believe T-NT was also painted in, although Yellow codes were only used by 229 and 185Sqn ; Caruana has propagated the myth that other squadrons used them. T-NT probably used Med sea grey or Azure codes.

I've just ordered some masks off Mal for another 249sqn Malta Spit, i feel really inspired to start it after seeing yours!

Stunning, absolutely stunning.  That's what I think of when I think war-time, hard working aircraft.  No concerns over appearance, cleaning etc.  Get em armed up and ready to fly first and foremost. 

These are mad skills on display here.

Mikester, Jamme, Grant:  glad the pics held you interest for a moment.

Benjamin:  looks like I got the Squadron wrong - appears that it should be 185 Sqn, not 603.  Given you comments about the code colours, I might have them wrong too.  Also got some feedback about the seamline at the front of the Vokes filter - apparently it shouldn't be there.  "live and learn" I suppose!  Looking forward to your next Malta project.  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 1

Mikester, Jamme, Grant: glad the pics held you interest for a moment.

Benjamin: looks like I got the Squadron wrong - appears that it should be 185 Sqn, not 603. Given you comments about the code colours, I might have them wrong too. Also got some feedback about the seamline at the front of the Vokes filter - apparently it shouldn't be there. "live and learn" I suppose! Looking forward to your next Malta project. Cheers, Ralph.

No yours is one that almost certainly had yellow codes, 185 and 229sqn used yellow codes as confirmed by orthochromatic photos where it appears very dark like the ring in the roundel. I've seen GL-T depicted as having the T white but I don't agree with thy based on the photos I have, it's very hard to be definitive about Malta spits they were all painted in some shade of blue/grey if they survived long enough!

Ben