The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 CF-100

Clunkmeister

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

And I thought the TSR2 was ugly, this makes it look semi - attractive......:2c:

where do the propellers go, they will cut the nose off in a second.........

The CF-100 has little "propellers".  Look in the intakes of the head on views.

OK, those are actually anti icing vanes that spin and shoot out alcohol, but the sure look like props.  :)

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

they had three full squadrons of these in the early to mid 60s, but US pressure forced them to sell them off.  The range, or lack thereof, wasn't such a good thing either, with only about a 250 combat radius in a land with thousands of miles of uncharted territory.

I expect that one ran out of fuel and became a glider. :D

Not sure I'd give a lot fer yer chances trying to glide in one of those with that wing area. Suspect it would go about as well as it used to with the Starfighter. :wacko:

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, GusMac said:

Not sure I'd give a lot fer yer chances trying to glide in one of those with that wing area. Suspect it would go about as well as it used to with the Starfighter. :wacko:

Yep! Mig-21, Starfighter, neither one was built for the Canadian Mission. The MiG-21 would have been a horrible choice, probably as bad or worse than the Starfighter, not because it was Russian, but because just like the Starfighter, it literally had zero combat radius. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, krow113 said:

Maybe not invented in Canada but certainly perfected here in British Columbia:

IMG-6501

I don't like weed.  I'm allergic and the few times I tried it, not only did I get sleepy and hungry, but also my sinuses locked up tighter Scrooge's wallet.  But I am glad that it's becoming more and more legalized.  There's plenty of other stuff to go to prison for.

18 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yep! Mig-21, Starfighter, neither one was built for the Canadian Mission. The MiG-21 would have been a horrible choice, probably as bad or worse than the Starfighter, not because it was Russian, but because just like the Starfighter, it literally had zero combat radius. 

Lightning wasn't renowned for range either but it was mighty impressive to watch when they pointed them straight up and opened the throttles up to the stops!

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 hours ago, GusMac said:

Lightning wasn't renowned for range either but it was mighty impressive to watch when they pointed them straight up and opened the throttles up to the stops!

Yep, but the Lightning had a different mission, basically as a point defense fighter, and it was absolutely brilliant in that role. Canada is many thousands of miles of desolate uninhabited tundra and many more thousands of miles of trees, lakes, and rocks.   1 engine doesn’t isn’t good.  Every Canadian interceptor in the Jet age has been a twin engine jet, and it’s been absolutely crucial to aircrew longevity. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yep, but the Lightning had a different mission, basically as a point defense fighter, and it was absolutely brilliant in that role. Canada is many thousands of miles of desolate uninhabited tundra and many more thousands of miles of trees, lakes, and rocks.   1 engine doesn’t isn’t good.  Every Canadian interceptor in the Jet age has been a twin engine jet, and it’s been absolutely crucial to aircrew longevity. 

Yeah, very true Ernie. Vancouver to Montreal is about ~4500 km which from Leuchars, where I used to watch the Lightnings, would put you about 500 km EAST of Moscow!

Definitely not where you'd want to be back in the 70s.

• Like 3

Hey guys, if anyone has a 3d printer, this is a model you can buy on CG Trader for $20 at the link below and print at home to your hearts content. 

The designer scaled the -100 to 1/72, all I did before printing that model was to combine parts in Meshmixer to maximize how many parts I could fit on the printer at once, and then scale everything by 225% to put it at 1/32 scale :-)

Cost of the plastic to print it was about $12 and the the total print time was around 45 hours. For that time and financial investment, this thing is a damn good starting point to make a detailed model! 

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/miniatures/other/cf-100-avro-canuck-mk-5

• Like 1

Canuck isn't big enough!  I've just bought the design file for a 1/32 Vulcan!  The model is designed as a ducted fan radio-control model so the intakes will need to be rerouted, but aside from that it looks to be a SUPERB representation of the Vulcan.  Will share photos once it's been printed :) 

• Like 2