The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 FAA Corsiar wing tips?

JohnB

13 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

John, check out the Fundekals instructions, they point out a few minor differences, and to convert the tips, you just saw off the ends. I saw what you did with the P-63, this is a 30 minute mod for your skills.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/4/1/3/1184413-16-instructions.pdf

FB33E070-8F0A-466E-85C9-0BA6C59C2754.jpeg

Thanks for the info! I will check this out. :)

• Like 4

no-one makes any FAA updates which i have always found puzzling

I have asked Roy at Barracuda and clearly no interest 

also discussed with Aerocraft and more recently Tim Perry, so I am hoping someone takes the plunge

i have no interest in chopping up such an expensive kit, even if it is considered a very simply mod

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nmayhew said:

no-one makes any FAA updates which i have always found puzzling

I have asked Roy at Barracuda and clearly no interest 

also discussed with Aerocraft and more recently Tim Perry, so I am hoping someone takes the plunge

i have no interest in chopping up such an expensive kit, even if it is considered a very simply mod

I too find it puzzling that no one has done this. It looks to me it would be a simple thing to make and would see a good bit of interest. Maybe folks are figuring Tamiya will issue a FAA version which I think would be a real possibility. Time will tell I suppose.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bill_S said:

Thanks Bill. I wonder if the tips would fit the Tamiya kit? I'll check around and see if I can find one somewhere. Thanks again. :)

No luck so far. Ebay, Hannants, Sealmodel, and Litlinx were no go's.

• Like 2

John, Revell provided shortened outer wings on that release. I would think it would be much easier to shorten the Tamiya wings. I have that Revell kit here somewhere; I can post some pictures if you's like - but it won't be until Monday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bill_S said:

John, Revell provided shortened outer wings on that release. I would think it would be much easier to shorten the Tamiya wings. I have that Revell kit here somewhere; I can post some pictures if you's like - but it won't be until Monday.

Thanks Bill. I'd like to see a picture or two if it's no trouble. No hurry though.:)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Built this one from the same boxing as above around 1994, updated it with new paint and decals in the noughties, it's a bit dusty now but you can see the wing tips

.2aEoZb.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis. Now if I can just find the kit I might be able to cannibalize the wing tips, etc. :)

• Like 2

Okay guys. I've checked the Tamiya -1a kit and see it really wouldn't be too difficult to clip the wing tips, etc. SO......it's time to build a FAA Corsair. I've ordered the Eaglecal decal sheet and intend to do the overall GSB a/c from HMS Formidable. Stay tuned! LOL :D

• Like 7

22 hours ago, JohnB said:

Okay guys. I've checked the Tamiya -1a kit and see it really wouldn't be too difficult to clip the wing tips, etc. SO......it's time to build a FAA Corsair. I've ordered the Eaglecal decal sheet and intend to do the overall GSB a/c from HMS Formidable. Stay tuned! LOL :D

Which bird from the Formidable, John? A local fellow from my home town flew off the Formidable....

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Ok, just looked it up in Dana Bell's book. He says the Corsair IV could be either a -1A or a -1D.  So that answers that. 

Carl

Agreed Carl. I'm pretty sure it's a -1a.

• Like 3

Not sure the mk IV is as cut and dried as what some of us may seem to think, and I am very happy to be proven wrong, but some of the designations 'may' have something to do with who built the aircraft..... Vought, GoodYear, Brewster etc... I am reading the War Diary of 1841 Sqdn FAA and this has been mentioned.... I need to, and am doing more reading and research here... this makes for interesting investigating.......

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JohnB said:

Number 135 Jeff.

FAA Corsair.jpg

I'm assuming with the style of the 'roundel' you are doing a late scheme when she ( HMS Formidable ) was in the far east, rather than when 1842 sqdn was chasing the Tripitz or when she was in Gibralter

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

I'm assuming with the style of the 'roundel' you are doing a late scheme when she ( HMS Formidable ) was in the far east, rather than when 1842 sqdn was chasing the Tripitz or when she was in Gibralter

Yes

• Like 3

just a little tid bit of useless information, 1842 sqdn maintenance crews painted the new Pacific Markings on their Corsairs March 20 / 21 1945 when in port in Sydney Australia..... and was checked and inspected by Admiral Sir Bruce Fraser CiC British Pacific Fleet................

• Like 3