The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

P51B Trumpeter

To answer your question Jeroen, that's the one on the bench right now

P5130786.jpg

Now I know that there are some issues about this one, but when done it will look like a Mustang I guess. First of all I will get rid of most of the rivets placed on this thing. I still do not know why they place them on a P51, but so be it. I am using mr Surfacer 500 and I have filled most of it now for the first time. Done some sanding and it came out not too bad.

P5300793.jpg

P6240003.jpg

P6240001.jpg

Just started this, a lot of filling to do. When cleaning up the attic I found a J.Rutman cockpit set. It looks a lot better than what Trumpeter provides so I cut the Trumpeter stuff out and started with teh Rutman upgrade set. Still in the progress of making everything fit, but I will get there.

P6170001.jpg

P6170003.jpg

P6230011.jpg

P6230010.jpg

P6230009.jpg

I will use the Malcom hood but still haven't figured out which plane to make. But not even close to that part.

Rick.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A very small update, work, summer and this

http://www.4daagse.nl/en/

are a disaster for modelling in my case anyway.

I have been sanding the fuselage tank and some small items.

P7140021.jpg

P7140022.jpg

P7140023.jpg

What in heavens name is the front and how does it looks assembled in the plane? I cannot find any pictures of it in my books. Does anyone have some sort of drawning and pictures?

Living close to ze border has a couple of nice things to it. For starters cheap booze and this

P7140024.jpg

which is a very nice magazine.

That's all I am afraid.

Rick.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Not that I haven't been doing nothing but sometimes I got the impression that I had bitten off more than I could chew. But nevertheless, I think I am done with sanding, I want to give my B a worn look so I hope I have got it right

P6240002.jpg

PA210001.jpg

PA210017.jpg

PA210016.jpg

PA210018.jpg

Next was making the Rutman cockpit set fit into the kit. That took, and still takes, a lot of effort but I think I have got it just about right.

PA210025.jpg

PA210024.jpg

PA210023.jpg

Still not sure what to do with the dash, I added some switches but I am not sure about the instrument panel yet.

PA200013.jpg

PA200012.jpg

PA200010.jpg

PA200009.jpg

I have a question. What do you use to glue PE against a canopy or any other clear part. Superglue will fog up the window but I do not know what else too try. White glue didn't do the job for me. Any good tips?

Hope you like what I have done so far.

Rick.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Yup, +1 for dipping canopy in Future/Klear first.

Solves the fogging issue.

FYI

I have a small, plastic case with lid. I line it with tissue and put in a couple toothpicks first, I wrap strips of tape around the tweezer tips, grip the canopy firmly by a rear corner and dip completely in the Future.

When I take it out I hold it for a few seconds against the side of the container to drain off some. Then dab each corner of the canopy on some tissue to drain the rest before laying it on the toothpicks and closing the lid.

I've used Future and white glue here 'n there for PE, also. White glue isn't renouned for its holding power.

A ways back I started buying those little 2-pot epoxy packs from the 99c (here it's $2) store. The dual plunger gives excellent 'portion control'. I mix up small dabs in empty pill packets.

It doesn't bother me then to use only half at a time. Dries clear, a ;ot cheaper than name-brand epoxies and it does the trick.

Meanwhile, back to our regular programming . . .

popcornjpg_zps5dce77cf.gif

yiC

Rossco

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I build the cockpit in the hull and closed it up. A lot, and I really mean, a lot of sanding and rescribing too be done. And offcourse I started the sanding without first masking off the cockpit, so I have to clean that up before putting the hood on. Apoligies for the dust inside.

P1030070.jpg

P1030069.jpg

P1030068.jpg

P1030067.jpg

I have a kit on the side which I painted, it is always nice to finish something, or almost, in my holidays. It is the 21st century BF109G14. Just OOB.

P1030066.jpg

Does anybody has a german sheperd dog 1/32 or 35 hidden in his stash somewhere? I placed an add in the vendors stage.

Rick.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, I have finally finished this one. I know that the Trumpeteer P51Bis not the greatest model in the world, and the wings are from a D but I did not bother about that. It took quite a while to get the look I wanted and maybe the weathering is a little over the top but I wanted to give the impression that this was a battered plane. I took the liberty of masking the top invasion stripes. By the time this aircraft was destroyed in an taxi accident at Debden in the beginning of July they should be gone.

PB150216.jpg

PB150217.jpg

PB150215.jpg

PB150219.jpg

PB150220.jpg

PB150221.jpg

PB150222.jpg

PB150225.jpg

PB150226.jpg

PB150227.jpg

PB150228.jpg

PB150230.jpg

The dog and shirt seemed like a nice touch to honour the last of the screwball aces.

Hope you like it

Rick.

• Like 2