The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

1/6 scale Honda police motorcycle Question

belugawhaleman

Hey guys. just found a un-built large-scale Tamiya Honda CB 750 police motorcycle in my

model stash from about 17 years ago. It's in 1/6 scale....so..it's large, but non-military. Would

anyone be interested in a build thread for this model?  These big tamiya motorcycles are fun

builds and impressive when finished. Just asking.

Paul

• Like 5

• belugawhaleman changed the title to 1/6 scale Honda police motorcycle Question

Just do it, that's what LSM is for and I personally like to see a great variety of different subjects. It's not only about 109's and Spit's. A little off the trotten path is, where it gets really interesting.

Cheers Rob  

• Like 7

Well, ...  it looks like this planned build might be delayed by the bizarre global shortage

of Tamiya gloss white in 23 ml bottles. Everywhere I look it's backordered or currently

unavailable. What the heck is going on with this?  This model is mostly gloss white and

this is a problem.

Update; I found a website with mini tamiya x2 gloss white in stock. Bought ten mini bottles. I hate these tamiya mini bottles. Whose idea was this?

All these years the 3/4 ounce bottles where the norm. Why downsize?

• Like 5

The shortage is maybe caused, by the closing of Wingnut Wings. Everybody scored some last minute German Lozenge clad airframes and doing the base layer for the decals in exactly this Tamiya gloss white. Just a theory :D.

Good that you found some bottles. I bought a ten pack in summer, watching my WNW stash and Lozenge- and/or wood- and/or linen decal jobs to make.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

FWIW, Tamiya’s white primer, whether in rattle cans or small glass jars, makes a very good and dense (read with excellent coverage qualities) white. It then can be covered with a gloss varnish like X-22.

This is what I did with my Nieuport Sesquiplan record plane.

i-8wNXFBc-600x450.jpg

Hubert.

• Like 4

About 20 years ago I built Tamiya's 1/6 scale Harley-Davidson police bike. I used tamiya

gloss white. it was easy to spray and the finish was beautiful.  Incidentally, I found the

ravaged corpse of this model tossed in a drawer at my mom's house. It was destroyed. It was a nice model. R.I.P.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, HubertB said:

FWIW, Tamiya’s white primer, whether in rattle cans or small glass jars, makes a very good and dense (read with excellent coverage qualities) white. It then can be covered with a gloss varnish like X-22.

This is what I did with my Nieuport Sesquiplan record plane.

i-8wNXFBc-600x450.jpg

Hubert.

Thanks for the tip. That Nieuport is beautiful.

• Like 4

On 1/6/2021 at 10:29 AM, belugawhaleman said:

An interesting theory. Personally, I think it's those Robot building, gundam ,anime, fantasy, sci-fi  builders out there who are responsible for this shortage.  You know how they like things glossy.

Actually their favourite is I believe Floquil Reefer White. At least for the Star Wars fans. :lol:

Gunze make a line of paints specifically for Gundam kits. It's called creatively Gundam Color. 

Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black has been sold out at a lot of places here in Canada. I found a shop with 4 bottles in stock so grabbed a couple. Hope it's enough. 

• Like 3

I've been also looking for Tamiya gloss black------found some!! I bought 4 of the large 

bottles. I'm good for the semi-gloss. I need olive drab for a microscopic FWD  WW 1 truck

in 1/35 scale from ICM.  A local supplier, Tower Hobbies, is out of it. I have a can of

the Tamiya spray that I can decant for my airbrush. Anyway, that's a future project.  Next will be the big Honda or Takom's big Ft; this time with Berliet turret in an early Brazilian scheme.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that size of bike this side of the water, maybe wrong.....go for it Paul, we’re relaxed here about scale.......

Tamiya used to make a lot of big scale motorcycle kits. Now, they mostly make them

in 1/12 scale with an occasional re-issue in 1/6 scale. I made a few in the  1980's. I found

another big Honda kit that I bought in the late 90's . Some of the parts have been assembled, but not painted; the frame, gas tank, and engine. I think the rest of the parts

are there, so I think I can finish it.

• Like 2